Abandoned theaters in Kingston

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Abandoned theaters in Kingston

Postby Anbessa » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:29 am

Two years ago, we went around many former theaters in Kingston. Many are abandonned, some became churches.
The atmosphere there is very special, a mixture of sadness and fascination. My favourite one is the Palace, which must have been absolutely beautiful in it's glory days...
Here are some of the pics my lady took there, hope you'll like them !

http://unitedreggae.com/articles/n1430/040114/fallen-giants-kingston--s-forgotten-theatres
www.soulofanbessa.com
Anbessa

Re: Abandoned theaters in Kingston

Postby marko » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:42 am

what an evocative set of shots, i particularly like the gradual reveal of the ambassador in trenchtown, a great building and great shots, thanks to your lady. its interesting how movie houses around the world had similar architecture no matter the climate or culture.
marko

Postby jesperoots » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:02 pm

Thanks for sharing. Love that handpainted notice. No gun, no knife....
jesperoots

Postby ephteeay » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:50 pm

Yes, great pics! Thanks for the link
ephteeay

Postby edgar » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:00 pm

marko wrote:what an evocative set of shots, i particularly like the gradual reveal of the ambassador in trenchtown, a great building and great shots, thanks to your lady. its interesting how movie houses around the world had similar architecture no matter the climate or culture.

I saw exactly the same in parts of Kenya. Typical British colonial style buildings. Same decay, same atmosphere, everything. They got independence from Great Britain around the same time as Jamaica (1962/63)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dbzr9n7ghhA
thank you putting this on here- best reggae track ever, apart from most bob marley tracks
edgar

Postby jb welda » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:09 pm

there is a great film with the unlikely name "Natural Mystic Reggae" in which chinna smith among others takes the viewer to what were theatres and now were abandoned, half collapsed structures. really fascinating film. I have always liked exploring old and neglected buildings and that movie really kinda captures part of the thrill, just like you experienced there in Kingston

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby j j » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:11 am

At least one of those cinemas was shown in that Rock Steady doco/film by Moll Selekta? iirc.

j j
j j

Postby Anbessa » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:15 pm

Thanks for the comments.

@ jj : the one featured in "Rocksteady" (the lovely meeting between Derrick Morgan and Skully) is the beautiful Palace. The Ambassador can be seen in the movie mentionned by jb welda.
www.soulofanbessa.com
Anbessa

Return to General discussion