Willi Wiliams - Lick Them With Reaction

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Willi Wiliams - Lick Them With Reaction

Postby jahkob » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:28 pm

Been listening to the Coxsone vs Highteous tape for some days now and this tune below stays with me every time. Have it ever been released? They clearly say its Willi Williams and it sounds very much like him as well, so we have that covered. I know its played by the Soul Syndicate and that Wackies done the rounds with this riddim having Wayne Jarret och Don Carlos on top of it. But have this vocal version with Willi Williams ever been released?

Tune in mentioned can be heard here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p3SUxVH3jg
. . . live good and good shall come to you . . .
jahkob

Re: Willi Wiliams - Lick Them With Reaction

Postby roots tradition » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:43 pm

Almost certain it's Don Carlos singing, maybe in his early days. It's not unknown for a sound to announce the wrong singer if the wrong name's written on the dubplate and the singer isn't well known at the time. I remember Coxsone crediting a couple of tunes to Devon Russell when in fact it was a young Frankie Paul.
roots tradition

Postby jahkob » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:30 pm

Yes, could most possible be that way but from listening to it several times I think it sounds more like Willi Williams trying something new than Don Carlos. Plus the clash on the tape takes place in 1983 and Don Carlos was a well known singer by that time.

If anyone got a link with Willi Williams it would be great to hear if he remember the tune in mention.
jahkob

Postby jb welda » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:24 pm

>If anyone got a link with Willi Williams it would be great to hear if he remember the tune in mention.

sounds like Carter Van Pelt would be the man for that...

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby Ranking Glasses » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:32 pm

A next cut by Don Carlos, "Prepare Jah Man": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFu4xinPwso
Ranking Glasses

Postby jahkob » Sun May 04, 2014 8:18 pm

Just got word from Willie Williams through a common friend that it is not him singing this song. Reckon it most probably is Don Carlos after all then.
jahkob

Return to General discussion