Recently released studio one book

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Recently released studio one book

Postby Mr B » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:22 pm

The Rise and Fall Of Studio One: Rise Again [Paperback]
Lou Gooden (Author)
http://amzn.to/1h2Ux4x
Mr B

Re: Recently released studio one book

Postby SteveT » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:05 am

Interesting. Never heard of any of his books before.

Anybody read any of them. Allthough it seems quite large print the dancehall one is 784 pages!
SteveT

Postby Rockers Galore » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:38 am

Might be worth reading this review of one of his earlier books before you consider buying...
http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2003 ... /ent3.html
Rockers Galore

Postby Ringo » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:04 am

That review's a bit harsh, but mostly correct. Reggae Heritage is not a great example of writing, but if you can look beyond that and some of his opinions and agenda you do get an account of a crucial piece of sound system history that hasn't been written about in much detail but is of great interest. If he didn't write it, perhaps nobody would have, and the information would have been lost.

I can't stand the style of most reggae history writing, but as with this one, even if you don't like all he has to say, he was there, and has as much right to have his say as anyone else. Most history is written by people who did not have first hand experience of the subject they're writing about, so any details from the people who took part or witnessed it are to be cherished.

I'm looking forward to reading the Studio 1 book. Bits of it will annoy me, but I'm sure I'll get something from it.
Purple Radio - Every other Wednesday 6:30 - 8pm http://www.purple-radio.co.uk

Archive of old shows http://www.crytough.com/purple.html
Ringo

Postby crimson flames » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:25 am

The author of this book Lou Gooden was imprisoned for stealing millions from the Dodd estate. That should be enough background information for anybody to know that this book is a hatchet job. His previous books were atrociously written, with whole paragraphs repeated twice, unreadable grammar ,and horrible errors in fact and opinion. This Studio One book seems to be hinged around his spiteful attacks on the Dodd family, a very biased read and not at all a historical look at the development of studio one. Even the description of the book in amazon, makes it clear that this book is written by a man with a massive chip on his shoulder for the Dodd family.
id urge people to avoid this book and not line this crooks pockets
crimson flames

Postby kalcidis » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:48 pm

I would have bought all of his books (I think there's three one on reggae in general, one on S1 and one on dancehall) hadn't it been that they are very expensive. But I won't put that kind of money on what seems to be highly biased texts with poor editing.
kalcidis

Postby RB » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:22 pm

i agree that even in the worst of reggae books, there's always some bits of knowledge to be gleaned. undoubtedly that's the case here too.

but you need only to read the amazon book description to know how difficult this book will be to read. yikes.
RB

Return to General discussion