Reggae in Cape Town?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Reggae in Cape Town?

Postby AT2JA » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:47 pm

Lucky to be visiting there next week. Would LOVE to catch some real deal Afriki while there. Any tips?
AT2JA

Re: Reggae in Cape Town?

Postby marty » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:48 am

in a different style, you might be lucky to see 7ft Soundsystem there as well...
marty

Postby SteveT » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:14 am

You can go on a Cape Town reggae tour

http://coffeebeansroutes.com/cape-town-reggae-route/
SteveT

Postby naram » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:27 pm

If I was in the Capetown area I would be doing my utmost to check Kebra Ethiopia Sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG_NToKM9kc
naram

Postby AT2JA » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:07 pm

Well, despite some earnest trying I did not get to see or hear any reggae in CT (had a good time though!). Despite lots of articles I didn´t see much live music venues at all, and the guide books and websites didn´t list much of anything. I must not have been looking in the right ones because I can´t believe a dynamic city like CT doesn´t have a cracking live music scene. :?

I was trying to talk someone into taking me to the Marcus Garvey center they have, supposedly the center of the rasta community there, but he was very, very clear that it would be too dangerous.

Through searching I did discover an artist named Black Dillinger, who sounds intriguing...anyone here heard of him?
AT2JA

Postby jr roots » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:23 am

Shiloh ites has recorded with some South African artists (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0GvpuedaVc) , and i think Black Dillinger is a part of the same crew as them. The link went through Zoro, who is from CT but lives here Sweden, and also made great tunes with Iyah one/Shiloh ites.
jr roots

Postby asher selector » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:20 am

AT2JA wrote:Well, despite some earnest trying I did not get to see or hear any reggae in CT (had a good time though!). Despite lots of articles I didn´t see much live music venues at all, and the guide books and websites didn´t list much of anything. I must not have been looking in the right ones because I can´t believe a dynamic city like CT doesn´t have a cracking live music scene. :?

I was trying to talk someone into taking me to the Marcus Garvey center they have, supposedly the center of the rasta community there, but he was very, very clear that it would be too dangerous.

Through searching I did discover an artist named Black Dillinger, who sounds intriguing...anyone here heard of him?

Irie BLESS Irie Biiig UP ...

Yes Black Dillinga is a Irie Artist Inna Sizzla Style , him from and live in Cape but Also In Germany ... From Cape Guguletu Aerea U have CROSSBY Singjay Style , him just have a brand new Album with a German Producer/Label from Munich ... In Cape U have Yard Trend Shop but I here is close now or Soonnn Close ... For Good Reggae Dance One of The Best Place is Maybe the ZULA Bar pon LongStreet , and , Yes the MARCUS CENTER every Friday dem Have a RASTAFARI Reggae Night , yes like u say is HOT Place but is OK Still , di best is go with a SA Bredrin , A PURE RASTA PLACE NOCIGARETTE , NO ALCOOL Inna di DANCE ... I select there around 15/20 months ago ... PURE RASTAFARI NIGHT with Di Place Full of RASTA EMPRESS , PRINCESS & RASTA MAN ... FULL LOVE ...

@ The MARCUS GARVEY Community Center ...
Reggae Muzik More www.raspectshop.com Irie ...
asher selector

Postby AT2JA » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:26 am

Asher I am curious...what was your playlist while there?

Did you try and keep it oriented around tunes that reference Garvey (Spear, Diamonds, etc)?
Did you try and put more African artists in (Lucky Dube, Alpha Blondy etc)?
Is it more of a dancehall crowd rough and ready, or a rockers crowd, old school?

Do tell.
AT2JA

Postby asher selector » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:45 am

AT2JA wrote:Asher I am curious...what was your playlist while there?

Did you try and keep it oriented around tunes that reference Garvey (Spear, Diamonds, etc)?
Did you try and put more African artists in (Lucky Dube, Alpha Blondy etc)?
Is it more of a dancehall crowd rough and ready, or a rockers crowd, old school?

Do tell.

Biiiig UP & I Love U Question Niiice ...

Like Always I Select a Little of All Style ... REGGAE BEAT , Dancehall Beat & Can be One or Two HIP HOP Beat but with Me is Always 100% POSITIVE & CONSCIOUSS MESSAGE MUZIK For a BETTER WORLD so I don't Really Change My STYLE of Selecting But is True I concentrate Good for Selecting Some Special ONE ... Like Give WE The Teaching of Marcus Garvey Inna Dancehall 90's Flavor ... The Massive Was RASTAFARI To di MAXXX & Dem LOVE & JUMP to the BEAT of Today (Dancehall) with RASTAFARI LYRICKS ... Nuff Time Dem Neva Knows The SONG I select & Is Only after Listen dem Lyricks for 1/2 Minutes & GROW Inna U & Come & PULL UP ...
The Crowd Was More RASTAFARI Lyricks than The MUZIK , DEM LOVE The Roots To The DANCEHALL but POSITIVE LYRICKS & Dem JUMP JUMP JUMP ... But YES Roots , Nu Roots , Dancehall from it POSITIVE it a Boooommmmmm & Is Why I really FullJoy dat DANCE ... The Best is When The MASSIIIIVE are OPEN MUZIKAL VIBES ...

I Select Some Alton Ellis , Judah Iskender Tafari , Sizzla , Luciano , Garnett Silk , Everton Blender , Culture Curry , A Nice Lady Saw Dancehall Gospel Flavor Tune , Gramps Morgan , Jimmy Cliff , and Many Mooore ...

The Vibes is I Select 99% Vinyl only a few DUB PLATE Sometime I Use di CD ... I Use to Press Dem on 10" but it come fast Noisy & Heavy Weight ...
I Always Traveled With VINYL's ... it More HEAVY But It VIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIBES ...

LOVE RASTA ...
asher selector

Postby asher selector » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:11 am

Iriiiiie Biiig UP ...

Right Now I am Inna di African Island of Maore & is Pure Natural Vibes & REGGAE ... We Gonna Have Some Outside Street Dance & a BIG BAMBO ONE BEACH ROOOOTS DANCE All Night Viiibes ... MAGIIIIK ...
asher selector

Return to General discussion