Island/Hawaiian/Ploynesian Reggae?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Island/Hawaiian/Ploynesian Reggae?

Postby tingjunkie » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:44 pm

Hello BAFers,
I've been away from this board quite a while, but never stopped listening to reggae. Good to be back!

I know this forum is where the serious reggae collectors and historians like to hang out. The "purists" as it were (and god knows deep down I'm one of them). But, I'm going to be moving to Hawaii in this upcoming year and I'm trying to learn as much about Island/Hawaiian/Polynesian reggae as I can. Before I visited Hawaii for the first time in 2010, their reggae was firmly on my "pay no mind" list, but on subsequent visits, I've actually been pretty impressed with the musicianship and vocal style of what I've heard. I think the lyrics are stuck in a very boring lovers rock pop place, but otherwise, these islanders have their reggae game down pretty good if you ask me, and I think there is a lot of potential for growth in the future. It seems like VP Records and Don Corleone are venturing into that arena at least.

So, if anyone here happens to know of any links, forums, other sources of info for Island Reggae, I'd really appreciate the guidance. So far, my knowledge is pretty limited to the artists that seem popular on iTunes, including: J Boog, The Green, Katchafire, Ekolu, Maoli, Fiji, Natural Vibrations, Jay Keyz, Kiwini Vaitai, Anuhea, Rebel Souljahz, Kolohe Kai, Micah G. Am I missing any big names in the game? Anyone know how long ago island reggae really came in to its own?

I wouldn't be surprised if this thread sinks like a stone, but much thanks for the help if you can provide it!
tingjunkie

Re: Island/Hawaiian/Ploynesian Reggae?

Postby Ital Dokta » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:27 am

Island reggae's been bubbling since the 70's at least, like you say though the predominant style is the more easy skanking lovers sort of poppy stuff (which personally I don't mind too much, it goes well with the vibes there and just a matter of changing your ears from the "purist" setting :wink: ). Best way to check for current charting kind of music I think is to tune online to some of the local stations, say Island 98.5 in Honolulu or Q103 in Maui (you'll sometimes hear some Jamaican or international artists as well though Bob is of course the main influence, I used to see lots of Bitty McLean albums around so he has some popularity, depends on which artists from abroad sort of fit with the sound there I suppose).

If you haven't yet checked for Ooklah the Moc you need to do so forthwith, one of the most authentic roots style reggae groups to come out of Hawaii. Also the bassie from Ooklah Jah Gumby now has his own production house set up under the name Father Psalms Studio (check on Facebook and Youtube for some video content including some eye-popping clips of his massive vinyl collection!). Other than those you have some good names as far as I can tell, I might add the Black Seeds and House Of Shem (like Katchafire from NZ - quite a reggae scene there as well with which I am not too familiar), Irie Love, Inna Vision, the Lambsbread, Kohomua, Kali Navales, Ho'aikane, Mango Kingz, Bo Napoleon, Big Every Time, THC the Heartical Crew. Some of these particularly the Father Psalms crew are hitting on more of a heavier roots kind of sound so not necassarily all pop style stuff. Physical copies of much of this music can be hard to track down depending on where you will be, some only has a digital release but if you're down with the I-Tunes you should have no problems.

Enjoy Hawaii, lots of cool musical runnings and a unique and distinctly reggae friendly part of the world!
Ital Dokta

Postby tingjunkie » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:59 am

That was really helpful Ital Dokta! Thanks. Do you live in Polynesia, or did you just take an interest in the music?
tingjunkie

Postby Ital Dokta » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:53 am

The latter, just visited Hawaii a few times over the past several years and always check for some music while I'm there...first time I think I came back with half a suitcase full of CD's :lol:
Ital Dokta

Postby Robin » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:34 am

you should check "jah youth production" from hawai. many of their tunes can be listened at on yt and at least one of their production made it on vinyl 7". it involves daweh congo and swedish master jonah gold, and it's a BIG tune that we've been playing a lot on our sound for a while and always gets a good response...its entitled "the bitter turn sweet", also known as "dont be afraid". more recently, they just released an album with rob symeonn which is well worth checking too...
Peace
http://fr-fr.facebook.com/pages/Nyabin-Sound-System/201186136569072?sk=wall
http://www.myspace.com/vibescreator
Robin

Postby Ital Dokta » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:25 pm

Ital Dokta

Postby tingjunkie » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:32 am

Thanks Robin, and thanks again Ital.
tingjunkie

Postby naram » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:43 pm

I lived in Hawaii for a while - and I highly recommend the band Ooklah the Moc, especially the stuff they did with a young vocalist from Maui called Koko Man. This tune in particular is wicked regardless of whether your a 'serious head' or not: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My43Bpbq2jM
naram

Postby tingjunkie » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:43 am

Thanks naram! Which island did you live on, and how was the reggae scene there? As far as I can tell from my visits, it seems all about the live shows when artists come through.
tingjunkie

Postby Rise Up Crew » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:46 am

Biggest Hawaian reggae band ever : Rootikal Riddim.

Check their first album "Inna Sufferer's Style" + other few EP they released these past years. Incredible sound. If you like the sounds of the 80's....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMX8_QB-JBE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WXfD-IWJeE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGPpd5AKaNE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHJE5nHhshE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_YViRHf2bY
Rise Up Crew

Postby naram » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:19 am

I lived on Oahu - I went to University actually. It was cool, but a few too many obese white people in loud shirts eating big macs for my liking! Honolulu it's self is a bit babylonian for my tastes. But the rest of Oahu - and especially the rest of the Island chain, is wicked. If you can get out of the city, you'll love it.

Musically it was mainly a live band scene - and largely Bob Marley Legend derivative bands. But I'm sure there's decent selectors about too (at the time I didn't have the deepest reggae knowledge, so I was pretty content with the scene).

Great ganja there too ;)
naram

Postby tingjunkie » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:17 am

Thanks for the links R.U.C!

naram- I agree with you about Honolulu, although I do love the Kapahulu area. Maui is more my speed, and that's where my wife and I are planning on moving to. As if I wasn't already looking forward to it, this winter in NYC has really been keeping the motivation very high.
tingjunkie

Postby Ital Dokta » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:10 pm

Maui is nice, I was there for the first time trip before last to the islands - honestly doubt I'd go back to Honolulu/Waikiki now as it just doesn't compare anymore - too many people, hustlers and higglers etc. Much more laid back and nicer vibes on Maui.

If you will be near Lahaina pretty sure there is a regular reggae night or two around, also a head shop with CD's, t shirts and apparel. With you on the winter thing, looking out my window at 7-8 inches of snow and missing the islands very much! Heading to Arizona next week though so I can't complain too much :wink:
Ital Dokta

Postby martin » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:47 pm

i got this one on sale hawaian cut to bunny wailer classic
http://www.deeprootsreggaeshop.com/epag ... %2Fisle701
martin

Postby Ital Dokta » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:21 am

Nice, pretty unusual to find these island tunes on vinyl outside of some of the Don Corleone collaborations. B side sounds very familiar, pretty sure I have heard it on the radio in Hawaii.
Ital Dokta

Return to General discussion