The Last Great Producer

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: The Last Great Producer

Postby SolarHighPower » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:59 pm

lankou wrote:Some people should be reminded that Fattis was not just all about conscious tunes or roots dancehall: his labels released lots of hardcore dancehall tunes -including a lot of minimalistic clunkers in the late 80's-early 90's, and a number of them hardly politically correct, to say the least (ask Ninjaman!). Lots of off the wall stormers as well, in a hardcore mode, and really not just stuff by Sizzla and Luciano. Also lots of romantic tunes. Fattis should be remembered for the whole spectrum of his productions, not just conscious" tunes. Sly at Fattis's, that's one of the last great winning tickets, really. If the whole output of Star Trail and XTM were to be compared, i'd say that the first one has a higher percentage of roots tunes than the latter. Of course, Fattis released more tunes than R Bell.

really and truly, ask me for 1 production from that era and I hardly could name one title. but ask me about the conscious era and I will line up the whole catalogue if needed! he changed the game with conscious productions together with Richard Bell who also had some funny sounding 80s tunes sameway Fattis did, but those tunes are not the good selling ones. There is maybe some expensive collectors stuff from the early era but only collectors are interested in those, but regular people would all tend to the conscious era. but there was some great stuff in the early era sameway tunes like "Dirts Man - Strive" or "Papa San - It Bun Dem" and Acid by Ninja or Super Cat - Chalice A Lick & Sandokan are crucial indeed but if you take Luciano "Good God" it would mash up the whole Exterminator era with a few lines from that 1 song, all Luciano xtm albums and the most of Sizzla early xtm stuff is like a milestone to whole reggae music, just as channel one and studio one and federal and all who made reggae reach 2000 without changing the content of it.
SolarHighPower

Postby SolarHighPower » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:17 pm

'from my secret laboratory' is a great album in my opinion..

not familiar with this one but gonna take a lissn asap
I can remember reading an interview from adrian s. saying scratch was going crazy putting razorblades and hair into amps and mixers, is that the outcome from those sessions? if it sound like the dubble standart stuff I would gladly skip that one but if it got the golden touch I need to lissn as I know that on u was also producing some good stuff between all the rubbish cheap dub..
SolarHighPower

Postby SolarHighPower » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:22 pm

Roman wrote:
How come nobody has mentioned people like Jah Shaka, Mad Professor and of course... Twilight Circus?

true! at least Shaka need a mention, he is not relevant for Jamaican reggae but for european reggae market he is one of the leading producers but he did not change the game, he paved the way for euro-dub but he is not relevant for reggae music as whole genre but a great producer still and much greater soundman!!
SolarHighPower

Postby roots tradition » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:10 pm

SolarHighPower wrote:
Roman wrote:
How come nobody has mentioned people like Jah Shaka, Mad Professor and of course... Twilight Circus?

true! at least Shaka need a mention

...and Mad Professor! He had a very distinctive sound in the 80's even if a lot of it was Lovers Rock.
roots tradition

Postby dougie conscious » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:38 pm

to be fair fattis only started making more dubby roots tunes cause when in the uk he went to a shaka session and saw all these people dancing to roots and dub,the rest is history
dougie conscious

Postby dan i dubdub » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:00 pm

for me, Sherwood, Mad Professor and Jah Shaka between them defined the British sound when I started to go to more reggae dances. But I wouldn't call any of them the last great producer.

Solar, the On-U/Scratch work is really the best of his post-Ark stuff, but singles give better versions than albums on the whole. Musically its Dub Syndicate/On-U Sound (pretty much reaching their peak) with Scratch joining in, rather than the other way around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RIIzcA6LRM&feature=kp

look out for the 12" of I Got The Groove by Scratch & Dub Syndicate, sweet instrumental version of Vibrate On
bring love spread peace

dan i
dan i dubdub

Postby SolarHighPower » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:26 pm

dougie conscious wrote:to be fair fattis only started making more dubby roots tunes cause when in the uk he went to a shaka session and saw all these people dancing to roots and dub,the rest is history

interesting info
this now makes Shaka more relevant than I first thought, sometimes there is a need to know little things like this to overstand the whole movement, isn't also Blacka Dread related to Xterminator somehow?

ohh now I hear this Lee Perry voice on it, when I first started to listen Dub Syndicate back in 90s I was not really familliar with Perry so I never realized there was a connection
but the Dub Syndicate albums were crucial indeed! now I know why. big up Perry, Sherwood & Scott!!

to those who still say Don C is the last gamechanger I must say you all wrong because Donovan had no hits from long time and just started a digital comeback and until now he didnt change the dancehall mainstreem so there is nothing to honor yet and his dropleaf era did actually end around 2009 making people like Notnice come in and finally mash up what was left by Don & Genius. Notnice with Kartel did open a brand new (low) gate of really low production quality stream which now still rule the masses (alkaline, kartel, tammy lee, etc) wonder whats next
SolarHighPower

Postby underated » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:19 pm

The term "Last Great Producer'
is open for interpretation & opinions, as i read through the posts i was surprised at a few names mentioned though.
I would go into detail , then again that would only be my opinion.

I like to use the term 'Producer" in the traditional sense, someone that oversees the project & conveys the vision of the artist, assuming it's vocal projects we are talking about, Chris Blackwell could be seen as a traditional producer back in the day.

Of course nowadays producers are artists,engineers & jack of all trades ,
not to forget all round DJ superstars that do come with some hype.

Yes a guy like Sherwood does deserve a mention, he has covered a lot of ground
& likes to remain in the background
& let the music do the talking.
The work he did with Bim Sherman deserves credit.

That soulful & gentle voiced artist found the perfect combination of music suited to his voice.
Plenty of so called producers make riddims & get them voiced , what i' m talking about is a totally different thing.

The vocalist comes first not as an afterthought.

Who really knows who the Last Great Producer was ?
Well one thing for sure is, this music keeps moving & stands still for no one,.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lUeS-rXtdk

The Miracle
underated

Previous

Return to General discussion