Earl Gateshead

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: Earl Gateshead

Postby adrians wall » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:04 pm

Genuinely nice bloke with a great big heart and a huge love for the music but as far as selection goes pretty middle of the road the times Ive seen him. Obviously has a great collection but how much of it makes it to the shows I wonder. In the nicest possible way that Yeah Yeah thing gets a bit grating by the end of an hour DJ set, I think I would go mad if it was an 8 hours session.
adrians wall

Postby Ridimforce » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:15 pm

marty wrote:he came to walk n skank in glasgow twice and smashed it with some very slow reggae in front of a young crowd, I've seen him in Outlook as well, always a good memory, he seemed humble and nice to me, I am a bit surprised to read all those comments...

I'm not surprised you have no taste, you're from Glasgow.
Ridimforce

Postby roots tradition » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:33 pm

Ridimforce wrote:A festival in New York, a place with legendary foundation sounds like downbeat the ruler, yet Adrian Sherwood and earl Gateshead are booked from abroad. It sums up my stance on this strange scene; 'foundation reggae' with no respect, regard or interest in the actual foundation artists/sounds and complete disregard of Jamaica. A scene by white people for white people. It's a farce that this is seen as common practice and you are supporting the complete shunning of artists/sounds who were out on the street 24/7 promoting the music we love to the massive.

Not seen the Earl so can't comment but how many of the true foundation sounds are still around and if so are not just playing the latest thing out of JA?
roots tradition

Postby djmush1 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:05 pm

LOL thanks !
djmush1

Postby LukeB » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:38 pm

roots tradition wrote:Not seen the Earl so can't comment but how many of the true foundation sounds are still around and if so are not just playing the latest thing out of JA?

I'd rather listen to the latest thing from Jamaica than some town crier bellowing 'YEAH YEAH' and 'ONE DRUM' for an hour..
LukeB

Postby Ridimforce » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:14 pm

roots tradition wrote:
Ridimforce wrote:A festival in New York, a place with legendary foundation sounds like downbeat the ruler, yet Adrian Sherwood and earl Gateshead are booked from abroad. It sums up my stance on this strange scene; 'foundation reggae' with no respect, regard or interest in the actual foundation artists/sounds and complete disregard of Jamaica. A scene by white people for white people. It's a farce that this is seen as common practice and you are supporting the complete shunning of artists/sounds who were out on the street 24/7 promoting the music we love to the massive.

Not seen the Earl so can't comment but how many of the true foundation sounds are still around and if so are not just playing the latest thing out of JA?

The 'true foundation sounds' do more so than these revival roots frauds. Give me some half pint any day of the week over some droning UK roots bass-music. Even so, what's wrong with hearing the latest thing from Jamaica?
Ridimforce

Postby Ridimforce » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:19 pm

djmush1 wrote:For reference -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O846Pgz0lO8

I couldn't care less. He's a poor selector and looks like he's on day release. I'm not having an oddball Geordie who wrongfully claims to be a foundation selector preach to me about 'real reggae'. It's a separate scene and even genre as far as I'm concerned, purely take take take from Jamaican artists and sounds with no interest of returning anything.
Ridimforce

Postby roots tradition » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:40 pm

Ridimforce wrote:what's wrong with hearing the latest thing from Jamaica?

Nothing if that's what you want to hear, but there's a demand for revival as well and it's not played out enough.
roots tradition

Postby underated » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:25 am

@ Ridimforce

Now listen up, i have been reading through this crazy thread & there is a few things that you mention that does not sit too well with me .
You mention stuff like 'oddball Geordies " You got a problem with people from there ?

Then you say people from Glasgow don't have any taste ? well I'm from there too.
All this racial stuff as well ?

& you don't like a man like Earl because of how he looks & the clothes he wears ?
How should a selecta dress ? shirt & tie ? please tell ?

I think some folks out there get a little jealous & envious when a guy out there plays old scratchy records to people.
underated

Postby Ridimforce » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:56 pm

underated wrote:@ Ridimforce

Now listen up, i have been reading through this crazy thread & there is a few things that you mention that does not sit too well with me .
You mention stuff like 'oddball Geordies " You got a problem with people from there ?

Then you say people from Glasgow don't have any taste ? well I'm from there too.
All this racial stuff as well ?

& you don't like a man like Earl because of how he looks & the clothes he wears ?
How should a selecta dress ? shirt & tie ? please tell ?

I think some folks out there get a little jealous & envious when a guy out there plays old scratchy records to people.

You've completely proven my point, well done. Go on and tell me the vast amount of reggae artists and sounds from Glasgow, you don't even have a Jamaican community there, how would you understand?
I think he's a poor selector, he can't mix and he doesn't have big tunes, so yes it does annoy me that he gets gigs. What annoys me even more however is that he not only gets gigs, but is cited as a foundation sound man when people such as natty frontline, a man who has dedicated his life to this music, is completely shunned by the white roots scene.
I have a problem with roots nights being dominated by white people, both selectors and the crowd, how in any way is that racist? It's the opposite as far as I'm concerned, London has a massive Afro Caribbean population yet these nights I.e rootikal are solely dominated by inverted racist whites. It is one big joke and hopefully will die a death soon.
Bored of this notion that reggae is 'global music' whatever the hell that means. Learn to respect the actual history of it.
Ridimforce

Postby LukeB » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:07 pm

underated wrote: All this racial stuff as well ?

I tell you what is racial.. 'Hindoos and Hairdoos' that didn't sit too well with me. I don't think the Hairdoos community would too happy being called out in a song in such a shameless manner either.
LukeB

Postby Ringo » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:38 pm

Ridimforce wrote:I think he's a poor selector, he can't mix

What do you mean? Do you think reggae selectors should be able to beat mix or do you mean something else, like juggling the same rhythm?
Purple Radio - Every other Wednesday 6:30 - 8pm http://www.purple-radio.co.uk

Archive of old shows http://www.crytough.com/purple.html
Ringo

Postby roots tradition » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:04 pm

Ridimforce wrote:London has a massive Afro Caribbean population yet these nights I.e rootikal are solely dominated by inverted racist whites.

That's because the Afro Caribbeans don't (or won't?) turn out.
roots tradition

Postby LukeB » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:11 pm

roots tradition wrote: That's because the Afro Caribbeans don't (or won't?) turn out.

What do you mean? Please explain further...
LukeB

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion