Reggae Inna Dance Hall Style (Black Star)

Please read the sales section rules CAREFULLY before posting!

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Forum rules
Please read the sales section rules before posting! Only sales through verified websites are allowed at this time.
You MUST have a minimum message count of 30 AND be registered on this forum at least 3 months in order to post here.
Posts which break these rules will be deleted without warning and continued offences may result in a ban.

Reggae Inna Dance Hall Style (Black Star)

Postby kalcidis » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:28 pm

The original version of Reggae Inna Dance Hall Style and some other great publications plus very nice CD deals are available from Ray Hurfords Muzik Tree shop! Do not miss one of the absolutely finest books on reggae that is extremely rare to find nowadays!

https://sites.google.com/site/smallaxereggae/muzik-tree
Last edited by kalcidis on Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kalcidis

Re: Reggae Inna Dance Hall Style (Black Star, book)

Postby Billy_Boom » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:48 pm

I was just wondering if that's the original book when I checked Ray's site today. Cool to see that it is. Reggae Inna Dance Hall Style is one of my favorite reggae books since I picked up the reissue a few years back, and I'll probably buy an original too if I can find employment soon.

On a related note, have you read Small Axe 24, the Seattle Special issue? I'm curious what that one's all about because I live in Seattle. All that I know of Seattle's reggae heritage is that there was a top-notch store called Reggae City in the 80's. Too bad I was learning to walk when it existed. :( Today the only reggae-specific store in the city sources everything from EBreggae and then charges 50% more.
Billy_Boom

Postby kalcidis » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:00 pm

Yeah, I've got that issue actually and there's a nice podcast where Ray talks to Colin »Fencebeater« Moore where I think they talk about that particular issue a bit. https://www.mixcloud.com/smallaxepeople ... ater-pt-1/ (probably in pt. 2 though which is also to be found on Ray's account). It's a rather nice little interview where they talk about Colin's reviews he did for every issue of Small Axe up until the late 80's some time. It was recorded in the 90's. But I can ask Ray about that particular issue and see what he says. I'll get back to you.
kalcidis

Postby kalcidis » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:27 pm

This is the response I got from Ray:

All the interviews were done in Seattle, and Seattle was really becoming a big reggae outpost at the time. Lots of shows and dances. Not long after Charlie Morgan set up the legendary Outernational label and mail order outlet. Seattle is still a reggae city, but low profile, like everywhere else!!!
kalcidis

Postby Billy_Boom » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:43 am

Oh nice. Thanks for asking about that, friend. Ray is tops. "The Origins of Fencebeater" is an entertaining listen! It's always nice to hear the voices of authors whose works I've read and respect. I hope one day to forget as many tunes as those two. :) To be fair, they did both remember Alton Ellis' "Love on Top", which is a Lovers Rock masterpiece you don't hear about too often.
Billy_Boom

Return to Sales/Trades Section