Chapletown carnival, Leeds

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Chapletown carnival, Leeds

Postby mikus » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:34 pm

Anyone know what sound were present in 2013? Or recently?
Is it worth the trip?
How late does it run?
Any info really...
>Free download of my dubwise productions + mixes, released under the Creative Commons license @
http://mikusmusik.blogspot.com
mikus

Re: Chapletown carnival, Leeds

Postby Baba Jonah » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:09 pm

Is it happening this year? Be good to see a line up announced for summer. . .
http://www.facebook.com/jahecho.hifi
http://www.facebook.com/CentahSound
Baba Jonah

Postby tradesman » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:56 pm

theres was the main sound in potternewton pk wer the main carnival finishes but i cant for the life of me remember the name , they had a good set up and there was loads of people ther with amazing food from all over africa and the caribbean. theres a large stage where dancers put shows on aswel, there was also smaller sounds in the streets around the park which wer really good too. id definatly say its worth a trip although i dont know which sounds will be ther this year. id also say the weather makes a difference as it was quite sunny last year
tradesman

Postby mikus » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:02 am

tradesman wrote:theres was the main sound in potternewton pk wer the main carnival finishes but i cant for the life of me remember the name , they had a good set up and there was loads of people ther with amazing food from all over africa and the caribbean. theres a large stage where dancers put shows on aswel, there was also smaller sounds in the streets around the park which wer really good too. id definatly say its worth a trip although i dont know which sounds will be ther this year. id also say the weather makes a difference as it was quite sunny last year

Hi Tradesman, I see you are from Leeds - i beg you for more info! Leeds is a long way to go for me, and theres Notting Hill carnival on my doorstep that same weekend!

Can you tell me what happens across different days? Is Sunday different from Monday?
When does it shut officially? DO things run after official shut down?
Ive never been one for main stages, only really interested in the sounds, so would like to know a bit more about what runs, what kind of music to expect, and so on.
The official website has almost nothing on it....
>Free download of my dubwise productions + mixes, released under the Creative Commons license @
mikus

Postby Living Bate » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:37 pm

you should check out St Pauls carnival if you havent already......

it doesnt clash with Notting Hill and it doesnt get locked off early like NHC...
Living Bate

Postby Dubba » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:16 pm

On the couple of occasions I've been it has been a massive let down. Little in the way of serious soundsystems , definitely not a patch on Notting hill carnival. The saving grace is the concert in the park they have on a Sunday. Over the year artists like Luciano, Freddie McGregor, Vivian Jones, Cham, Busy Signal to name just a few have passed through. Mikus I honestly wouldn't bother trekking up from London especially if you want to hear proper sounds playing.
Dubba

Postby mikus » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:52 pm

Thanks Dubba, that was what i was kind of gleaning... good to have it confirmed. I do have a friend in Leeds so thats another draw.

So from what I can see theres a big reggae live stage thing on the Sunday, not officially part of the carnival, free to access, with some big JA names, and then Monday is the carnival proper, which is really about a proper carnival procession, but not exactly got much going on in the way of sounds.

I dont need much to be happy - so long as there is one good roots soundsystem thats all i need!

I might go and check out the show on the Sunday and then head back to London for Carnival Monday... maybe :D

It would be nice to know that there was at least one sound to catch, but Ive looked online and I cant find anyone claiming to have played it! IS there not even one Dubba? Once ive found my spot I'll happily plot there all day long.

Living Bate, i made it to St Pauls last summer for the first time and Ill be back this summer again - Mega Bus mystery tour! Was fantastic and the weather was immaculate in 2013. Particularly enjoyed Simeon/Tubbys + of course Negus Melody.
You were there right? I think I saw you post about it too....
mikus

Postby Living Bate » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:45 pm

yes Mikus, last few years St Pauls weather has been blessed...

Notting Hill always has the best selection of sounds obviously, but i think i prefer St Pauls in recent times...

I like Jah Tubby's and King Simeon, but Negus Melody run the best tunes....

get back on the Megabus Mystery Tour!
Living Bate

Postby Dubba » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:37 am

Mikus- The last time I went I can recall a big 1xtra tent they had set up where all the youngsters congregated, but for the life of me I can't recall hearing anybodr that sounded like an authentic sound plat roots. There was the odd very basic set up in people's gardens in the houses surrounding the park but nobody worth following in my opinion. Coming up for the Sunday and trekking back down for NH might be your best bet. Last but not least the beeer is better up here and we're very friendly!
Dubba

Postby mikus » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:12 am

Thanks for all of that, yeah Im really trying to get around the country a bit more - its easy to just sit in London and let the years slide by...

Someone was telling me that there are some smaller events in the lead up to it...I wonder if there isnt a SubDub/Iration Steppas thing at the West Indian Center on the Saturday, or similar? That said Ive become a little bit exhausted by the fast 4 to the floor Iration sound, which I was definitely a big fan of for a time, but i find the tracks that move me most these days tend to be slow as possible one drops from the 70s/80s .

For anyone else reading this, like LB says, St Pauls is an experience well worth making the journey for - though it must be said, there are some lovely but mad Bristolians out there :shock: :D
mikus

Postby tradesman » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:44 pm

ye what people have said is true , i dont think its anywer near the scale of notting hill in terms of sounds its more the carnaval side and the costumes etc, most of the sounds last year wer playing dancehall for most of the time too (which i like) but i do also like a bit of roots but unfortunatly theres not really many sounds playing it up here. its a good day out but not on the scale of notting hill. also theres unity day which is a few weeks before wer loads of sounds from yorkshire string up in the park all playing different styles. Iration wernt there last year but id imagine theyl return this year , good luck on your travels wer ever u decide to go anyway.
tradesman

Postby Living Bate » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:24 pm

mikus wrote:there are some lovely but mad Bristolians out there :shock: :D

ya not wrong there.....

when in Bristol its worth checking out The Black Swan if there is something decent going on there....

the place is flippin crazy....
Living Bate

Postby mikus » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:10 pm

tradesman wrote:ye what people have said is true , i dont think its anywer near the scale of notting hill in terms of sounds its more the carnaval side and the costumes etc, most of the sounds last year wer playing dancehall for most of the time too (which i like) but i do also like a bit of roots but unfortunatly theres not really many sounds playing it up here. its a good day out but not on the scale of notting hill. also theres unity day which is a few weeks before wer loads of sounds from yorkshire string up in the park all playing different styles. Iration wernt there last year but id imagine theyl return this year , good luck on your travels wer ever u decide to go anyway.

thanks for that tradesman - unity day - this rings a bell - if i recall there was a deliberate attempt to have no advertising, to the point that people were told not to advertise it on the internet and so on, as if too many people start coming it will have to stop happening... i also seem to remember they ripped off the logo for unity records (old beak street rave record shop, RIP)! That might be the one to go and check out ... on the hush hush of course ;)

Black Swan is it?...just having a look at some pictures on the internet....looks like a sweat box...i can fill in the rest :D
mikus

Return to General discussion