The last time Shaka got new speakers

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

The last time Shaka got new speakers

Postby richmrpa » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:26 pm

Does anyone know how long he's been using that rig? I know he uses some vintage equipment.
Love to all
Rich
richmrpa

Re: The last time Shaka got new speakers

Postby Ranking Glasses » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:06 pm

Sorry not to answer your question but this always makes me laugh when I remember it. Back in the 80's Shaka and Coxsone were lined up to play in Brockwell Park in London. It was a warm Sunday and the park was packed with people. Well anyway, Coxsone had what looked like a recently rebuilt set and speakers and sounded seriously crisp that day. Shaka's system looked ancient and the corners of the speaker boxes had holes which were stuffed with newspaper. Shaka was experiencing technical problems when it was his turn to play but they finally managed to get the sound working. I couldn't make out what tune was playing but it was pure distortion compared to Coxsone and the crowd erupted in laughter.
Ranking Glasses

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:17 pm

As far as I know this might be the 3rd set of speakers/cabs since the 80's ?

I think Shaka started using this most recent complement of speakers/cabs about 10yrs ago..

I believe the preamp etc is the same as has been used since the old days, not sure about the amps...

Maybe someone who knows more can weigh in?
Chocolate Soldier

Postby message_music » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:52 pm

enjoyed last nights session, gotta love the vibe shaka creates..... sick atmosphere and a good turnout. was feeling the new dubs shakas been running towards the end of the session. wish shaka would chant more, hes gotta be my fave on the mic.
message_music

Postby Vinnie » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:14 pm

richmrpa wrote:Does anyone know how long he's been using that rig? I know he uses some vintage equipment.

didnt shaka's van with some of his equipment got stolen around 2004?
Vinnie

Postby ScrollZ » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:27 am

im probably wrong,
but i dont think shaka has had his own speaker boxs since he got robbed...
i think he uses someone elses system
ScrollZ

Postby Vinnie » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:48 pm

i heard at the time he was using his own back up system with probably some new addings
Vinnie

Postby Baba Jonah » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:54 am

Brockwell Park NEEDS more sound system, period.

Every summer its a wasted opportunity there, nuff sounds still in South London. Lambeth Council if you read this PLEASE do at least one session a month for the people.

Off the top of my head we got several sounds from the local area

King simeon Sound
Roots Guidance
RDK
Coxone
I Spy
12 12 (OR 12 Tribes - Wassie One's rig that's always at Brixton Splash)
King Tubbys Hi Fi

Probably more, personally I'd like to see this happen aside from Country Fair or Brixton Splash. As recently as early 2000's RDK did sessions there the rules cant have changed that much against having sounds in the park. Overseas and in other counties sound system has its day out, why not in Brockwell Park?
http://www.facebook.com/jahecho.hifi
http://www.facebook.com/CentahSound
Baba Jonah

Postby Ranking Glasses » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:57 pm

Baba Jonah, there used to be large sound systems and stage shows in Brockwell Park back in the day. A young Frankie Paul on Coxsone was a highlight. Johnny Clarke recounts his free concert in the park as his best ever. However, as has happened in numerous venues, the reggae element has been reduced / stopped due to violence. The 'axe in the head' and other incidents in Brockwell Park have resulted in reggae being reduced to become the backside of the poxy Lambeth Country Show.
Last edited by Ranking Glasses on Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ranking Glasses

Postby Ranking Glasses » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:05 pm

There also used to be great reggae events in Peckham Rye Park. I remember Frontline and also Coxsone tearing up the place. There were also big stage shows with Earl 16, Errol Dunkley, Mikey Dread, etc., etc. Again violence spoiled things.
Ranking Glasses

Postby Ringo » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:00 am

Ranking Glasses wrote: The 'axe in the head' and other incidents in Brockwell Park have resulted in reggae being reduced to become the backside of the poxy Lambeth Country Show.

Never heard that one Ranking, my local park, any more details?

I know Lambeth Country Show is not the same but it's a Brixton institution and all we've got, so I'm grateful for it every year.
Purple Radio - Every other Wednesday 6:30 - 8pm http://www.purple-radio.co.uk

Archive of old shows http://www.crytough.com/purple.html
Ringo

Postby mikus » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:43 pm

On the issue of small Shaka details, I heard it said he lives in Forest Hill Se23 - can anyone confirm that? I wouldve thought id have seen him around by now if so. Its nice to know who your neighbours are ;)

Baba Jonah wrote:Brockwell Park NEEDS more sound system, period.

agree 100%. If I recall correctly the sound events at Brockwell were a victim of their own success, and costing more to police/steward, and so the council killed it with bureaucracy and additional costs. A similar thing with the one in Clissold Park I heard.
>Free download of my dubwise productions + mixes, released under the Creative Commons license @
http://mikusmusik.blogspot.com
mikus

Return to General discussion