Frankie Paul - Mr. Babylon Man Dubplate on a soundtape Help

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Frankie Paul - Mr. Babylon Man Dubplate on a soundtape Help

Postby Novice » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:42 am

I'm having a bit of trouble locating a Sound System cd I have/had somewhere around. I believe it was Sir Coxsone vs Shaka early 80's. For reference, it started with a dubplate/special of Frankie Paul's Babylon Man...just the dub I think because I don't remember any vocals and a good portion of it was just the bass line and it was quite heavy and possibly a bit slower in tempo than the tune itself or in fact other dubplates I've heard of the tune. There is a link below for reference...this is NOT the cut I mean but it will let you know which tune it is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ETHqcylydA the dub starts about 3:20

Could someone confirm which Coxsone session this was if they know or provide a link since I can't find my copy....I would just really like to hear that particular cut/bass line again cuz it made feel like I possessed melanin, lacked a comb and expressed emotion like Buster Keaton.

Thanks.

-Me-
Novice

Re: Frankie Paul - Mr. Babylon Man Dubplate on a soundtape H

Postby kalcidis » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:16 pm

Could it be Coxsone vs. Highteous from -83? One of the heaviest selections on that one.
kalcidis

Postby Novice » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:27 am

That sound "Highteous" is ringing no bells in fact I've never heard of them so I don't think that's it. I thought it was earlier than '83 but that might just be because of another tape Coxsone/Quacker City? I have/had.

I had years ago posted a clip to identify the tune in question and Reggaemusicstore mistakenly ID'd the tune is Frankie Paul's Right Time but that it was a dubplate mix or something, honest enough mistake as they are from the same album and with enough time between listenings the tunes could get mixed up in one's head, similar Bass sound on the tunes but different melodies. However he didn't, at least at the time recognize it from any sound tape or didn't mention it if he had and I figured if anyone might know he would. Point being I'd search for it on this site but the search function is irritating and frustrating most of the time.

Thanks, I'll try and have a listen to the '83 one you mention if I can find samples to hear.

P.S.
You were asking about the Junior Keating Weekend Lover CD about the liner notes...very little information, some talk about Revolutionaries, Jah Thomas and mention of Scientist as mixer, as far as Keating, only made this album and some singles lifted from this album and maybe a single or two here and there...not much info at all.

-Me-
Novice

Postby Novice » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:33 am

Update: Tried my luck with search function....I found my original post, from 2008....and you responded then too that it might be Highteous/Coxsone...my copy was probably labeled wrong from where ever I got it.

Yes, it was/is quite a heavy session...really dense sound. Thanks again Kalc.

-Me-
Novice

Postby Ranking Glasses » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:52 pm

Never heard of Highteous with Keety Dread and Little Andy?
"I hear them saying that them a the ruler,
True them don't know, Highteous are the ruler,
Got to dance to Jah music, dance, yeah eh eh."

Too much focus on Shaka on this board. A bit like having a beautiful girlfriend and only caressing her big toe imo.
Ranking Glasses

Postby MulatuAstatke » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:28 pm

If thats the same dance I'm thinking of Highteous don't get much of chance. They play a tune at one point and are immediately shouted down by Festus. **** gets personal about Highteous' mother.

Incredible selections from Coxsone start to finish.. Back to back mad Tubbies mixes. Would love to have a tracklisting
MulatuAstatke

Postby Ranking Glasses » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:06 pm

Yeah, Highteous was never in the same league as Coxsone. It's just that Keey Dread used to go out with my cousin Sonia, aka Sister Sonie who had a few hits in the reggae charts back in the 80's, which is how I came to know them.
Ranking Glasses

Postby yd international » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:38 am

MulatuAstatke wrote:If thats the same dance I'm thinking of Highteous don't get much of chance. They play a tune at one point and are immediately shouted down by Festus. **** gets personal about Highteous' mother.

Incredible selections from Coxsone start to finish.. Back to back mad Tubbies mixes. Would love to have a tracklisting

I have this session, it's mislabelled Coxsone Vs. Shaka 1983...Mr Babylon Man is definitely played here, although it's the cut linked to in the original post (and the only one I've ever heard)...
This thread has cleared up a mystery for me as the recording is all Coxsone playing someone other than Shaka. Turns out it was Highteous, who as you rightly stated gets shouted down by Fetsus and from then on tempers soar. Then at 45 mins the recording cuts to a much later H.I.M Birthday session with Shaka running a hard steppers dub. Shaka comes on the mic saying the management wants the session has to end, but if it were up to him he would play until midday! Ends with a killer Zebulon dub, Roger Robin special, and Rasta Serenade.
yd international

Postby Baba Jonah » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:49 pm

Would love to hear this sesh, after the comments above, sounds like proper clash vibes!

That Psychotron guy on YT has uploaded some killer plates a lot of them were new to my ears, good work sir / miss!

@ Rankin Glasses love your 'big toe' comment surely a classic BAF quote to be remembered, and very true.

:D
http://www.facebook.com/jahecho.hifi
http://www.facebook.com/CentahSound
Baba Jonah

Postby Reggaemusicstore » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:16 pm

I found your original thread Novice & the original sample link you posted is now dead but I wonder if it actually was Mr Babylon Man on that link or Right Time cos I also have the session & Coxsone plays Right Time before Babylon Man. As I have dubplate cuts to Right Time plus the vinyl I find it hard to believe that I'd have mistakenly ID'ed it, but we'll never know who made the mistake now as the link's dead. Just saying, no big deal.

Charlie - I'll try & find the session & upload it for you. It's Coxsone at their roots best & believe me they were not an easy sound to play against in that style, even Shaka would agree with that.
Reggaemusicstore

Postby Baba Jonah » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:41 pm

Very kind Steve, no rush, whenever you're ready. I'm sure others on here would appreciate a fresh link to a classic roots sesh that hits all the right buttons!

Enjoy your weekend all. Bless.
http://www.facebook.com/jahecho.hifi
http://www.facebook.com/CentahSound
Baba Jonah

Postby Novice » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:30 am

Steve(Reggaemusicstore), after hearing the sounds on the links I found online(not my own cd-r unfortunately) and seeing that both tunes were played, I reconsidered my memory and think that you perhaps ID'd correctly and that my memory was foggy having mixed up the basslines from the two tunes since the particular bass tones/sounds were similar to my ears at least when listening them at quite different times and not side by side.

My apologies, but if it's any consolation I don't recall your ever making a tune ID mistake like that and felt it curious that you "were."

To add to the confusion...the cd-r I had starts with Babylon Man where as Right Time was playing before it I believe so perhaps my copy was incomplete...what a headache these sound tapes can be once we try to identify instead of just taking it in.

Thanks for the clarification.

-Me-
Novice

Postby Novice » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:40 am

Not sure what the current rules are for uploads so if this is not allowed let me know and I will remove it but this should be the entire dance here, courtesy of Jayman and his MANY sound uploads.

http://rapidshare.com/files/267029303/c ... anredo.mp3 Enjoy!

-Me-
Novice

Postby Novice » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:48 am

For anyone wondering, the Right Time tune starts at 1:29:30 and Mr. Babylon Man starts at 1:35:00. Two WICKED tunes to my ears but rarely see them mentioned in Frankie Paul lists of top tunes aside from the occasional reference here and there...perhaps these particular cuts need to be heard to take in the vibe proper...otherwise I'm not sure there's any excuse to exclude them.

-Me-
Novice

Postby Reggaemusicstore » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:53 am

Thanks for uploading the session Novice, you've saved me the trouble!

Right Time was originally issued on a Freedom Sounds 7" around 1982 or so & I don't think it was ever repressed like a lot of the other Freedom Sounds singles were which may be why it's not as well known as other Freedom Sounds productions. The riddim was later used by Prince Alla for his tune No Love, credited to Prince Alla & Donovan Joseph which came out on a US released Roots Foundation 7" in 2001. Alla told me that he got the riddim from Bertram Brown (the owner of Freedom Sounds) in return for doing some vocals. Now here's where it starts to get a bit confusing. The same No Love tune was later released on a JA Freedom Sounds 7" but it was also released on a different riddim, again on Freedom Sounds 7", as it seems Alla did the same lyrics on 2 different riddims. I can't remember what the other riddim is but it wasn't as good as the original Right Time riddim was, so if you see a copy for sale & want it for the Right Time riddim make sure you get a sample first or you might be disappointed....
Reggaemusicstore

Next

Return to General discussion