Really enjoying the Ogima dub album

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Really enjoying the Ogima dub album

Postby j j » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:48 am

Black Slate - Ogima - TCD label...some nice production on this album. I pulled their Amigo album out so as to enjoy some extended mixes.

Then on the other hand I'm not so impressed with their Midnight CD which has several tracks that don't sound so great .I bought Midnight as I'd liked their 'Wiser Than Before' 7" from a couple years back & this & the dub version are included here, but songs like the 'Praises' track which imo is a pretty weak song & a really strange mix which seems muffled or demo-ish ,weird :?:
'Children Of Israel' sounds very much like MOR/filler to me.
'Your Love' is a reggae-lite love song & 'Daylight' is another fairly MOR soul tune.
Brutality is better but features a 'searing' lead guitar throughout.
No Justice For The Poor is ok & the last two tracks 'Incidents' & it's dub are great, soulful lead vocals which remind me of Dennis Brown, nice harmony backing ,horns etc. The title track is ok I guess.
I think the 7" track & maybe 'Incidents' are the best things here.

j j
j j

Re: Really enjoying the Ogima dub album

Postby Lemmy » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:03 pm

Got tired of waiting for a vinyl issue and bought the cd. Great stuff -- nice rhythms, compelling mixing -- and the cd mastering sounds pretty good. The whole thing is good enough to make me spring for an LP version too if one is ever forthcoming.
Lemmy

Return to General discussion