Recent finds?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: Recent finds?

Postby shadrach » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:18 am

Keith Poppin: Hold not Thy Peace (JB 12")
Riot Squad: Running (Extinguisher Records 12")
Keith Douglas: Frontline (Zip 12")
Dennis Reid: Land of the Rising Sun (Greensleeves 7")
Alton Ellis: Many Moods of Alton Ellis (Tele Tech LP)
Sons Of Jah: Reggae Hit Showcase (Natty Congo LP)
Creation Rebel - Close Encounters Of The Third World (Hitrun LP)
Vivian Jones: What you Gonna Do (Virgo 12")
Owen Gray & Ranking Jah Son - Tony Sexton & Superstar: The Greatest Love Of All -Segregation (Bushranger 12")
The Heptones - Carlton & His Shoes : Love Has Many Faces - Love To Share (DEB 12")
Errol Holt: Gimmie Gimmie (Morpheus 7")
King Culture: In a Cultural Mood (King Culture LP)
shadrach

Postby jps » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:51 am

Peter Broggs- Rastafari Livith $10.....No Cover but I already have a copy of this with cover, couldn't pass it up for this price.
Andrew Bees,Teddy Dan & Ossie Gad Love LP- JAH ROOTSMAN Test Press LP for $5

All of the below for just about $2 - $5 each.

12"

Cocoa Tea- Flood Victim/President Boatha (Rambo)
Marcia Griffiths- Don't Ever Leave/Iver Dub (Sheba)
Maxi Priest- Should I/Vocal Dub,Instrumental Dub (Level Vibes)
Johnnie Osbourne- Rock and Come On/ Black Uhuru- Eden Pon Street (Beardie)

7" All for a few dollars each

Flick Wilson- When You Get Right Down To It/Version (Mellos)
Haile Maskel- Keep De Boogie Goin/Boogie Dub (Rastafarians)
Yami Bolo- Stop The Bloodshed/Version (Builders)
Michael Palmer- Gun Shot A Burst/Roland Alphanso & Papa Life - SKOKIAN (Jah Life)
Scion Success- #1 Title/Roland Alphanso & Papa Life - SKOKIAN (Jah Life)
Shawn Pryce- Good Time Skanking/Version (Outsider)
jps

Postby shadrach » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:41 pm

[quote="jps"]Peter Broggs- Rastafari Livith $10.....No Cover but I already have a copy of this with cover, couldn't pass it up for this price.
Love that LP too, 'Jah Jah Voice Is Calling' only more than justifies your purchase!
shadrach

Postby Ital Dokta » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:33 am

Had a few birthday finds at a local record fair, most pretty reasonably priced and a few real bargains as noted:

7" ($5 each)

Judy Mowatt - Black Woman (Ashandan)
Garth Dennis - Slow Coach (Synda)
Gaylads - Give A Helping Hand (Coxsone)

10"

Derrick Lara - Hello Stranger (Pama) $5

12"

Pat Kelly & Dillinger - Talk About Love/First the Girl (Randy's)
Tommy McCook - Riding West (Third World)
Steel Pulse - Prediction/Revolution Dub (Take II)/Maka (Island) $5

LP

Frankie Paul - Legal Reggae Music (Harry J) [no sleeve]
Heptones - Cool Rasta (Trojan)
Ras Claat Dub (Grounation)
Dennis Brown - Just Dennis (Trojan)
Pinchers - Got To Be Me (Live & Love)
Culture - Africa Stand Alone (April)
Peter Broggs - Rise And Shine (RAS) $5
Ernie Smith - Skareggae (Generation) $5
King Tubby & Soul Syndicate - Freedom Sounds In Dub (B&F/Simply Vinyl) $5
Big Youth - Chi Chi Run (Prince Buster) $15 [Anyone know the approx. vintage of this one? UK pressing with Melodisc on the sleeve, # MS8, red Prince Buster logo on the label. Would this be original or has it been repressed?]
Ital Dokta

Postby yms » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:42 am

Big Youth Chi Chi Run was reissued in the last 6 or 7 years. I never picked it up as, from memory, the pressing was crap and all copies skipped a number of times. Had to get 2 copies of the message dubwise to get a half decent one. The quality of the vinyl was obviously Ja repress quality, fogging and dimpling all over with crap labels, I'm guessing Chi Chi Run would've looked the same.
yms

Postby Ital Dokta » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:54 pm

I too got the Jamaican repress around then and sound quality was indeed dodgy. Was wondering about this UK edition but perhaps they just took the same pressing and slapped it in an English sleeve. On further investigation I see the original came on Fab so no high hopes for this one unfortunately - will give it a listen today to see if it is better than the version I have.
Ital Dokta

Postby edgar » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:21 pm

those prince buster releases are tricky because several got repressed the last 10 years with identical labels and they even went that far to put authentic looking stamps( orange street address) on the labels and sleeve.

I know of one store who used to sell them as being original (just put them in between the records in crates with second hand material ) And when someone bought a copy, they just put another in the same spot the next day..
thank you putting this on here- best reggae track ever, apart from most bob marley tracks
edgar

Postby Ital Dokta » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:49 pm

Compared my two versions and they are identical except the one from yesterday has the stamping on both sides of the sleeve instead of only one. Sound quality fair, not great but quite skippy - though that seems more due to dust being attracted to the stylus than any flaw in the vinyl, maybe it could use an antistatic cleaning. Anyway superfluous to my needs so one to pass on, live and learn...
Ital Dokta

Postby davesjukebox » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:20 am

Been buying some Buster myself recently. Had been hunting for his vocal of "Freedom Street," but had either missed it or been outbid for years. Finally pulled it today on eBay, can't wait for it to come in.

Also spent way too much on an original Wildbells press of Adam & Eve / Simple Simon. Killer stuff!
http://www.davesjukebox.net - Ska / Rocksteady / Reggae Blog and Record Store
davesjukebox

Postby Mick Sleeper » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:28 pm

"Peace And Love" by Shaumark and Robinson (Upsetters). Always been one of my favourite Black Ark tunes, and earlier this year it was selling on E-Bay for $200. I got mine for about $35 through Discogs. 8)
Without music, life is an error. (Nietzsche)
Bass Culture: http://podcast.upsetter.net
Eternal Thunder: http://www.upsetter.net/scratch
Mick Sleeper

Postby Mark T » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:40 am

I went to Victoria today (on Vancouver Island off the west coast of Canada) to pick up my son, his dog and belongings. With time to spare we walked around the downtown and he was taking me past record shops. Abysmal reggae selection in the first two and I was explaining to him that you never find much in towns like this (no Caribbean diaspora) and then I walked into the third shop and found Scientist Meets the Space Invaders in really lovely condition for $25!!!! That's 15 pounds.
Fantastic day, son brought home for the holiday season and a bargain reggae album thrown in for good measure. We also got to see some of the latter stages of this years salmon run in an inland river and a bunch of seals feeding. Life feels good today.
Mark T
Mark T

Postby DUBAHOLIC » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:26 pm

Finally got it...
THE SOUND CHAMBER 12"~ NATURAL HIGH ~ BOUVERIE ft LOVELL.

Bad Bad tune.. one of my favs . :)
DUBAHOLIC

Postby shadrach » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:49 am

Junior Ross & the Spear : Send Me Over There - Bow Down Babylon (Stars 12")
Rod Taylor - Errol Holt : No One Can Tell I About Jah - Yes, Yes, Yes (Hitrun 12")
Barry Brown : Seperation (Attack 12")
Peter Broggs - Dexter McKintyre : Jah Golden Throne - 144 000 Saints (Selena 12")
Black Jade : Contempo (Jade LP)
Freddie McGregor - Angela Prince ‎: Mashing Up Her Brain - I Don't Want To Feel Ashame (Hit Bound 10")
Barrington Levy : Hunter Man (Burning Sounds LP)
Gregory Isaacs – Dennis Brown & Dillinger : Rock On (Murder Observer Style) - Jah Is Watching - Hustling (Observer 12")
The Roots Radics : Radicfaction (Cha Cha LP)
shadrach

Postby Ras Berry » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:58 am

Did you have to pay much for the Rod Taylor/Errol Holt 12", Shadrach? If you don't mind me asking. It's the one Hitrun 12" that I've never found "in the wild."

8)
Ras Berry

Postby shadrach » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:44 pm

Ras Berry wrote:Did you have to pay much for the Rod Taylor/Errol Holt 12", Shadrach? If you don't mind me asking. It's the one Hitrun 12" that I've never found "in the wild."

8)

I paid £62 for it, which was a lot less than what I was willing to spend on it. For me it was the holy Hitrun-grail too for quite some time and about the last copy I still needed to score :D
shadrach

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion