Tommy McCook Reggae In Jazz

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: Tommy McCook Reggae In Jazz

Postby skunkride » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:30 pm

Chaz wrote:It was "Phil Pratt Thing" that was the big mastering mess up.

Love this album, never noticed any sound quality problems, pressing isn't very loud as it's more than 20 minutes per side but it sounds good...
skunkride

Postby Chaz » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:46 pm

skunkride wrote:
Chaz wrote:It was "Phil Pratt Thing" that was the big mastering mess up.

Love this album, never noticed any sound quality problems, pressing isn't very loud as it's more than 20 minutes per side but it sounds good...

I have this particular one on CD, so maybe the vinyl sounds better. I emailed Pete Holdsworth about it at the time and he confirmed that there had been a problem.
Chaz

Postby Mark T » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:18 pm

Yeah, I don't think the Phil Pratt CD sounds great - I just put it down to the source material but I may be totally wrong about that (probably totally wrong would be more accurate).
Mark T
Mark T

Postby flashman » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:52 am

Just received my copy of this lp. So glad I ordered despite the complaints. Yeah, some tracks are lo fi but I like it. For early reggae it's almost fitting. Worth getting, I say.
flashman

Postby Ringo » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:05 am

Rootsitup wrote:any one own an original copy for comparison ? shame great music ,something is wrong here :oops:

Just listened to Black Out from the PS site - sounds terrible, the 7" is clear and loud, would have been better recording that with Audacity!

Shame, Black Out & Beirut (Cut to Honey Vaughn's This Tribulation) are great tracks, would have liked to hear the rest.
Purple Radio - Every other Wednesday 6:30 - 8pm http://www.purple-radio.co.uk

Archive of old shows http://www.crytough.com/purple.html
Ringo

Postby Rootsitup » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:38 am

Wild Bunch..is that Tommy McCook playing a Bamboo Sax ?
Rootsitup

Postby Peacemakeya » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:12 am

Greetings reggae lovers

"The 1998 release
"Yabby You meets Tommy McCook In Dub - Sounds of the 70's" (Peacemaker)
came off the original Studio One master tapes. It was warmly received and many fans recognized the phat high fidelity relative to some of the other Yabby You vintage re-releases that were transferred via the less satisfactory vinyl to digi process.

Unfortunately this Yabby/Tommy release is out of print ... but Ernie B has a line on a small stash of the first run (CD) & a gentle reminder to him would likely bear fruits.

re: further Yabby You releases ... a little birdie is chirpin that we should keep our radar tuned to the Shanachie label who are presently working on
the definitive Yabby You Story double CD longbox
... soon come

with many rare and unreleased gems ... & including that artwork & extensive booklet insert Shanachie is known for.
====<><><><>====
inna di good cheer yah
Alex Peacemaker
Peacemakeya

Postby Jack Johnson » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:27 am

Not being one to cast aspertions willie nillie, i haven't mentioned this until now but...as someone who has a fair bit of second hand experience of remastering (to make noisy tunes sound better) i can without question say that Pressure Sounds has ruined almost everything it has released in the last few years with what i can only think must be some horrible shareware noise reduction software and an engineer who went deaf years ago??? I could literally do a much better job myself (MUCH better) with software that didn't cost a fortune...i cannot see why pressure sounds would be so careless with music that needs so much care and restoration, The upsetter dubplate comp was truly horrific..but at least they were unreleased dubplate recordings! I bought one or two of their perry vinyl reissues (among many other horrible 7's from them) and they sound exacty the same - mastered from a scratchy record and then "remastered" cheaply any nastily with loads of digital noise and artefacts (unwanted digital noises - this ruins any old music once and for all). If you tried to play ANY of their recent offerings on a sound system you would get laughed out the dance...sounds like you're runnning mp3's....joke label.
Jack Johnson

Postby beebo » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:19 pm

Mmm Mr Johnson. What is your reggae revive label called and what have you released recently?
beebo

Postby pampasjudas » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:42 pm

my opinion on Pressure Sounds, for what it's worth:

i really must praise the label for the great work it has done (and is currently doing) for people who, like me, discovered jamaican music only recently, hence missed Blood & Fire (or Heartbeat) when still active.
i own several records released by PS, and find it does a great work, especially when it comes to anthologies of labels, artists or producers: the sound is fine (at least to my ears), as usually also are the liner notes and the graphic design.
maybe, though, they could go the extra mile in order to make their releases PERFECT.
i've come across a few PS singles badly pressed and completely unplayable (Shaka the Great, for instance), the sound in Tommy McCook's album isn't good at all and, finally, sometimes the liner notes in the albums have several typos.

all that said and as far as i'm concerned, i wish a long life to PS, and, needless to say, will keep on buying its releases.
Last edited by pampasjudas on Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pampasjudas

Postby informer » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:43 pm

i also think (from memory, not actually heard it) that the "Phil Pratt Thing" is not really good sounding.
I passed by some of their releases (e.g. the dj kentaro set and "Reggae in Jazz") but i surely will dig
the forthcoming "Roaring Lion" set.

when blood&fire released too much bunny lee stuff the same applies to ps with lee perry stuff.
nonetheless the new perry compilation looks too interesting to ignore ...

i hope after this they will put their focus on another producer .....

btw: i am really curious about the mentioned new yabby you set.
anything not released on "Jesus Dread" or the (a little disappointing) PS release ?

If shanahie puts out a box like the fantastic "Mystic world of augustus pablo" i surely will buy it ....
'the one who cleans the s.h.i.t must remember it' (Lee Perry)
informer

Postby mghifi » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:52 pm

I have had the Reggae In Jazz lp on a cd-r for some years now and it too has the same distortion on those tracks. I much prefer having the new version. Even with the imperfections, it's not as flat or thin as a cd-r that's mp3 sourced.
mghifi

Postby edgar » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:23 pm

I have a recording that is pretty clear. Doesn't have the distortion as on the pressure sounds press..
thank you putting this on here- best reggae track ever, apart from most bob marley tracks
edgar

Postby Chaz » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:45 pm

Given that a similar problem occurred with Blood & Fire's "Blazing Horns" release, Tommy McCook has been particularly badly served it appears!
Chaz

Postby Dubba » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:48 am

Looking forward to the shanachie box set, thanks for the heads up Alex. I emailed Ernie B about your labels CD that is unavailable elsewhere a few days ago but haven't received s response. I'm assuming that he's probably not got any left, still would have appreciated the courtesy of a response.
Dubba

Previous

Return to General discussion