Gospel Reggae ?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Gospel Reggae ?

Postby underated » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:18 pm

After listening to " rasta this & that " for many years, it just does not cut it for me anymore.
I do need my dose of spiritual upliftment, always loved listening to roots music with a biblical backbone.

So i really want to know, is there anything else out there ?

I really just want to check things out from a different angle in case i'm missing out on something.

Just like Culture , Burning Spear & The Twinkle Brothers , without rasta this & that , hope that makes some sense , just wondering what other types of thoughtful deep reggae is out there if at all.

Roots without rasta sounds rather strange i know.
underated

Re: Gospel Reggae ?

Postby Roman » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:35 pm

Roots without rasta sounds?

Yabby You
Roman

Postby lankou » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:45 pm

Osmond Collins is a great vocalist who released fine songs in the 90's and 2000's. Not all his songs are top stuff but when they are he definitely sounds inspired by something. He can sound a little like Garnett Silk sometimes.
lankou

Postby Roman » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:43 am

Roman

Postby Roman » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:58 am

Beres Hammond

etc

Sorry Underrated - JA non Rasta reggae singers are just too many to mention
Roman

Postby lankou » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:56 am

Yes, Sanchez has recorded whole reggae-gospel albums, really not the best ones in his discography. On his more mainstream,he has tunes which sound quite "gospelish', though.
Not heard too many tunes by Beres in that vibe.Quite a few that criticize organized religion and false preachers.
Lady Saw has recorded some nice gospel tunes in a very able way, one is Incline Thine Ears on Penthouse.
It seems that Tanya Stephens has done so as well, like Nadine Sutherland. and Toots 's daughters(one is very popular in the caribbean gospel scene, where she duets with her husband).
Same for Richie Stephens, Mikey Spice.
Some artists that went born again: Lt Stitchie, Papa San, Judy Mowatt, Jr Tucker, Crissy D, Chevelle Franklyn.
A lot of tunes from the 60's and early 70's contain biblical quotes without being rasta-oriented, though some people sometimes trytomake them pass off as rasta songs to suit their own agenda, but that's another story.
lankou

Postby underated » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:35 am

@ Roman

Thanks for suggestions, the name "Yabbby You" does pop up a lot, when i first heard his material years ago it never appealed to me so perhaps the time is right to check it out again. Never been a Beres or Sanchez fan not even a fan of the likes of Jimmy Cliff, in fact much reggae by the legends has little or no appeal to me now.
underated

Postby underated » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:44 am

lankou wrote:Lady Saw has recorded some nice gospel tunes in a very able way, one is Incline Thine Ears on Penthouse.
It seems that Tanya Stephens has done so as well, like Nadine Sutherland. and Toots 's daughters(one is very popular in the caribbean gospel scene, where she duets with her husband).
Same for Richie Stephens, Mikey Spice.
Some artists that went born again: Lt Stitchie, Papa San, Judy Mowatt, Jr Tucker, Crissy D, Chevelle Franklyn.
A lot of tunes from the 60's and early 70's contain biblical quotes without being rasta-oriented, though some people sometimes trytomake them pass off as rasta songs to suit their own agenda, but that's another story.

Thanks lankou,

must check some of them out, liked Papa San from way back & i only listened to xxx lyrics from " Lady Saw " back then.

Never heard of Osmond Collins so must do some research, sounds interesting.
underated

Postby pinup » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:42 am

Have you ever listened to any Groundation? They have quite a lot of biblical influence in their lyrics. A very modern take on roots but IMO they are one of the best bands around, especially live.
pinup

Postby Roman » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:01 pm

I've never liked Groundation myself. Harrison Stafford's voice sounds forced and unnatural to me, like he is constantly trying to be something he is not.
Roman

Postby Natty Dread Magazine » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:51 am

he is constantly trying to be something he is not

Like Israel Vibration, maybe? :D

To me, Rasta is the soul of reggae. Not only is reggae music spiritual, it is also rebellious and dreadful. Music with a purpose. Yabby You was not a Rasta in the sense that he refuted Haile Selassie's divine character-but he was producing the same type of deep and spiritual music (most of his early hit songs are Rasta liturgies like Carnal Mind, Rally Round etc.) He was even deeper than most Rasta artists & producers (that's why Tubby loved his music so much). So if yu're looking for casual reggae music, do not check Yabby You! :)
Natty Dread Editions / Jamaica Insula
http://www.jamaica-insula.com
Natty Dread Magazine

Postby AT2JA » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:57 am

AT2JA

Postby Natty Dread Magazine » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:03 am

Talking about casual projects?
Natty Dread Editions / Jamaica Insula
http://www.jamaica-insula.com
Natty Dread Magazine

Postby Roman » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:07 am

Like Israel Vibration, maybe? :D

I like Israel Vibration and some of their music. Like "Same Song" album.
Roman

Postby Roman » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:50 am

To me, Rasta is the soul of reggae. Not only is reggae music spiritual, it is also rebellious and dreadful. Music with a purpose.

A slightly different opinion about the connection between Reggae and Rasta:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3Au7AzeLfU

I am terribly sorry but I don't know what spirituality is. I love reggae music and I listen to what I think is good.
Roman

Next

Return to General discussion