What's The Most You've Spent on a Record?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: What's The Most You've Spent on a Record?

Postby Hotpie » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:30 pm

£45 for Simmer Down on Ska Beat. Was part of a batch I bought for £350 so I'm happy with the price.
Here's some ear candy... http://www.mixcloud.com/jacktrend/
Hotpie

Postby edgar » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:38 pm

80 euro for a near mint copy of Rolando Alphonso - king of sax on Winro a few years ago.
http://www.strictly-vibes.com/roland-al ... t2831.html

One of the few proper pressed Studio One LPs that I've seen so far. Thick heavy vinyl, no distortions, hiss etc..

On the contrary to all these posts here.. There was a 78 rpm blues LP that sold for 37 grand a few weeks ago. The second known copy though (the first known copy is a trashed one..) the holy grail of blues music.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-TOMMY-JOHN ... 46133006c7
thank you putting this on here- best reggae track ever, apart from most bob marley tracks
edgar

Postby Apostle » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:50 pm

Sweet Jesus. Who won that auction? Robert Crumb?
Apostle

Postby StepDubStep » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:59 pm

Just read about that Jake stuff on Wiki. Damn :shock: Blues for real!
Me no skin teeth and me no play!
StepDubStep

Postby StepDubStep » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:06 pm

It makes us reggae record collectors seem like we have it easy. Cool to see the passion for reissuing and sharing in another genre. I doubt there is as much ego and competition in sound though when it comes to blues. Don't let waterhouserock see the link! :lol:
Me no skin teeth and me no play!
StepDubStep

Postby Apostle » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:09 pm

Funny. Actually, I'm not that much surprised by the price, even though it's a very significant amount of money (it could be the advance to buying a house).
If find it funny to see that regular-looking-guy with his fan t-shirt and to know he spends that kind of money on something that only has value for the true aficionado. Of course sillier money has been paid for sillier things - like movie star autographs for example. Except in most of these cases the buyers are stinking rich and don't know what else to do with their money.

All collectors should read the hilarious book The Autograph Man by Zadie Smith. It's about ayoung guy who smokes too much and sells old movie stars' autographs on auctions and actually makes a sort of living of it. In the end he has to grow up - this moment kinda comes together with his encounter with his 'holy grail' movie actress. Hilarious and very recognizable for collectors. Puts everything in the right perspective. I would actually agree that manic collectors are all big children in a way. We never grow up from our little aficionado habit. Not speaking for all of you, just a reflection on myself!
Apostle

Postby Mark T » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:41 am

I enjoyed that book Apostle - I've read everything she's written and enjoyed them all except NW. Even read NW a second time to see if I was missing something but I don't think the style suited her apart from odd moments. None of the characters were attention grabbing.
Mark T
Mark T

Postby Apostle » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:38 am

I love her work as well Mark! The Autopgraph Man is really one of the funniest books I have read in a long time. Just bought NW and didn't get far yet -it's indeed different from her other works. Or maybe it needs time to appreciate :)
Apostle

Postby Natty Matti » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:41 am

£100 for Danny Lover - Mind Readers. Way out of my price Range really but sold some expensive stuff so it's all Good...
Natty Matti

Postby Dubba » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:38 am

Mark T wrote:I enjoyed that book Apostle - I've read everything she's written and enjoyed them all except NW. Even read NW a second time to see if I was missing something but I don't think the style suited her apart from odd moments. None of the characters were attention grabbing.
Mark T

I'm a big fan of zadie smith too, and have to agree that her latest missive is my least favourite to date. Autograph Man just pips her debut novel White Teet as my favourite. Fantastic talent.
Dubba

Postby CassavaOuternational » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:56 pm

$18 for Ornette Coleman - The Shape of Jazz to Come
CassavaOuternational

Postby Mark T » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:30 am

Well Apostle, I did think reading it twice was giving it a fair chance! :D
Dubba, I'm off on a sales trip so I requested Autograph Man from the library - i'll give it another read as I remember enjoying it. Did you try her book of essays? Changing My Mind. Very good as well.

Ornette Coleman definitely worth spending money on. I saw him live years ago with his 'harmolodic' band and he was excellent.
Mark T
Mark T

Postby Dubba » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:11 pm

Mark- I've not read the short essays so will give them a try, thanks for the heads up! I'm by no means a shrinking violet but found some of the sexual content in NW just plain damn disgusting! Always thought she was such a lovely lass as well based on her media appearances and angelic good looks! :lol:
Dubba

Postby Dubba » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:21 pm

Getting back on topic , the most I have spent is £75 on an original JA press of Forward on to Zion ( The Abyssinians)when I first started shopping on line and discovered the Lionvibes website and didn't realise how scandalous his prices were! I had a firesale a few years ago and ended up selling this on for £45. Regardless of the money really wish I had held on to it as it is obviously a beautiful all time classic album and its not the same having a scrappy repress.
Dubba

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion