Shaggy -out of many, one music.

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Shaggy -out of many, one music.

Postby Reggie Love » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:41 pm

Great new album this , expertly played and produced by Sly and Robbie (along with Lenky and Sting International) and has Shaggy sticking to the reggae vibes. At least a couple of the rhythm twins riddims get relicked, including Sitting and Watching (with Beres).
Some great guest spots on there too including Beres, Chronixx and Tarrus Riley. I always knew Shaggy could ride a riddim as well as most but never felt the urge to buy an album of his until now.

Its only available on download at the moment unfortunately but I felt compelled to take the plunge anyway after hearing a few of the tracks on Rodigan's show when Shaggy was guesting. Its a sad sign of the times though that an artist of his profile doesn' bring his album out in a physical format. (apparently its on cd in the carribbean).
Reggie Love

Re: Shaggy -out of many, one music.

Postby kalcidis » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:53 pm

It's a great album but I read some depressing news lately about it. Apparently it had only sold some 740 copies first week of release ... and even more disheartening is that this was enough for it to reach the third spot of the Billboard Reggae Charts. It's a shame ... especially when a high profile artist like Shaggy goes on and releases such a nice set like this one.

http://urbanislandz.com/2013/10/15/shag ... ajor-flop/
kalcidis

Postby Reggie Love » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:57 pm

He did say in the interview it was going to be a slow burner - he's not kidding!

Could still have done with a cd though. And he's chosen to play Wembley Arena. Two bad decisions and one great album! Gwaan Mr lover lover.

my favourite at the moment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkJ0cgWN0m8
Reggie Love

Postby underated » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:25 pm

That Riddim is Hot, top production.
As regards to an artist of his calibre & indeed everyone, promotion is everything.

Snoop Lion did heavy promotion, don't think it sold that much, but at least people knew about it.
Promotion costs more than production, check all those pop artists on yahoo & other search engines & street teams posting flyers .

Too much good reggae stays pretty much unknown because of lack of promotion.
As it's been said before, talent makes up only 10 % the other 90 % consists of other things.

Also remember the flipside, guys like Shaggy does not have to sell units, touring is his bread & butter.
Many artists don't have to sell , they still play gigs.
underated

Postby Werner » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:31 am

I saw Shaggy and Sly & Robbie last Friday. Very entertaining show.
Here's a picture of me with Shaggy:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151998060423993&set=a.324819093992.183389.153364008992&type=1&relevant_count=1
Werner

Postby dj745 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:21 pm

pretty sure this album is getting a cd/vinyl release too-read about it somewhere
dj745

Postby hubsi » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:38 am

Look at ernie b's web site. The cd is there since 2 weeks or so.
hubsi

Postby Reggie Love » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:58 am

Shaggy said in the interview with Rodigan that it will eventually get a CD release in Europe but gave no dates. I didn't want to wait.
Reggie Love

Postby guillaumebougard » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:56 pm

He's recording a couple of additional tracks to finalize the CD: one track is with Maxi Priest.

He was selling some CD's at the Paris concert.
https://www.facebook.com/slyandrobbieofficial
guillaumebougard

Postby Dubba » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:16 am

Bought the download a couple of days ago and have to say I'm really enjoying this album, fantastic production which is to be expected given the sly and Robbie involvement but the vocals and quality of featured artists is equally sublime. For me this and the Bitty are the two best traditional reggae album releases of this year. Thanks for the heads up Reggie.
Dubba

Postby CassavaOuternational » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:55 pm

+1 on the Bitty and the Shaggy being great releases
CassavaOuternational

Return to General discussion