Tinnitus

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Tinnitus

Postby jr roots » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:42 pm

How many here suffer from it? And... Anyone tried any of the different treatments for tinnitus out there?
jr roots

Re: Tinnitus

Postby kalcidis » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:48 pm

I've had it since I was 16. Fortunately the last five years or so it has gotten much better. My main problem from it nowadays is that I have a hard time filtering out background/annoying sounds which can make public places or parties very tiring for my ears. I wish I had been more protective when younger but I guess it comes with the youthful false impression of being immortal.
kalcidis

Postby Well Charge » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:58 pm

I also have it, for 6 years or something. A tough one, but not impossible to live with. About 40% of my friends have it.
My advice to those who don't have it is protect your ears!!!!!! they're extremely valuable and can't be exchanged for a pair of new ones.
My advice to those've got it is not to think about it too much, and don't surf too much on forums about it, all the wailing can get you down, people who post there are people who have not gotten over it and are not representative for the majority of tinnitus patients. Most get on fine.
Well Charge

Postby jr roots » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:17 pm

Yeah I think i had it about five years or so too, but it has got alot worse the last 6 months. A few tough sessions with the sound to much. I did a 8 hour session in france a couple of weeks ago, using earplugs most of the time, except when i was selecting and playing i took one out. So now one ear is alot worse. So last time we played i used plugs the enire night but it still got worse. So no more sound system for me.
jr roots

Postby Rootsitup » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:43 pm

"‘Pardon?’ I said, cupping a hand to my ear" :D
Rootsitup

Postby Well Charge » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:50 pm

Sometimes it appears that it gets worse, when it's just the case that you pay more attention to it...
Well Charge

Postby Ital Dokta » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:29 pm

kalcidis wrote: My main problem from it nowadays is that I have a hard time filtering out background/annoying sounds which can make public places or parties very tiring for my ears. I wish I had been more protective when younger but I guess it comes with the youthful false impression of being immortal.

Have much the same effect myself, not from tinnitus but from a childhood loss of hearing in one ear. The background noises can become quite overwhelming - like a literal wall of sound. Consequently I have tried to be conscious of volume although I don't use earplugs at concerts etc. - which I don't go to often but still probably not good in the long run.

A family friend has such a severe case of tinnitus/hearing disorder that he must live in the country in as quiet an environment as possible - he can hear the reverb from a dog barking for weeks.
Ital Dokta

Postby vane » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:26 pm

I've had it for over 3 years now and have come to terms living with it although not really got used to it. Sometimes it's not too bad, at other times more annoying and intrusive. I've never been sure whether this fluctuation is due to my perception of it, the distractions around me that take my mind off it, or if it does actually get better or worse. I deal with it by not thinking about as much as possible and getting on with life. I know this may sound rather glib and a bit of a cop-out in terms of advice, but I can't offer anything else that works for me. The longer it goes on the easier it is to deal with, though.
vane

Return to General discussion