Tommy McCook Reggae In Jazz

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Tommy McCook Reggae In Jazz

Postby Rootsitup » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:17 pm

has anyone bought this? sounds terrible to me on vendor and pressure sounds site ,Black out especially or does the cd /vinyl sound ok?
Rootsitup

Re: Tommy McCook Reggae In Jazz

Postby j j » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:06 pm

Damn! after having a listen @ DV I hear what you mean, what a horrible noise , really distorted sound. Anyone actually bought this yet?

j j
j j

Postby Rootsitup » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:41 pm

Pressure sounds say all 12 tracks all re-mastered :shock: Bam Bam is really bad..... way too much sibilance for my ears.
Rootsitup

Postby informer » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:15 pm

sounds terrible on half of the tracks here:

http://www.amazon.de/Reggae-Jazz-Tommy- ... B00EUEWQH2

have i missed a new definition of "REMASTERED" ?

really a joke ....
'the one who cleans the s.h.i.t must remember it' (Lee Perry)
informer

Postby pampasjudas » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:49 pm

got my copy (on vinyl) by mail today.
i agree, the sound is really bad, especially beginning with track 3 on side A.
mind you, i had never heard most of the tracks before on any other release, so i don't exactly know how they should sound, if properly mastered.
nevertheless, i can tell that, at least to my ears, "Wild Bunch", "Bam Bam" and "Black Out" don't sound right at all.
"funny" how, for instance, on "Black Out" the melodica sounds pretty all right, but all the percussive parts sound just awful, and in a hissing, aggressive way.
pampasjudas

Postby informer » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:09 pm

your ears are ok.

another release that i will let pass by ....

do they think their customers are deaf ?

or just "the average reggae possee is not awaiting quality"

to all what you mentioned there is also next to no bass .... but who cares, reggae don't need bass ....
'the one who cleans the s.h.i.t must remember it' (Lee Perry)
informer

Postby Rootsitup » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:40 pm

any one own an original copy for comparison ? shame great music ,something is wrong here :oops:
Rootsitup

Postby nickus » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:57 pm

HI
original press is perfect (very scarce), the bam bam tune which is just amazing IMO was a killer underground instru i was playing for few years...
nickus

Postby Rootsitup » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:05 pm

http://www.reggaefever.ch/articleDetail ... Id=LP-9572
Reggae fever have an original which you can listen to and compare ...repress sounds as if it's gained some distortion in the translation, on the orig black out sounds like a hand percussion not distortion .
Rootsitup

Postby pampasjudas » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:45 pm

probably it's just the same old story: addying a lot of compression in order to make things sound as loud as possible, ruining the record in the process.
talking of which, i guess many of you must be familiar with Greg Milner's "Perfecting Sound Forever" book.
a very enlightening read.
pampasjudas

Postby Mark T » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:43 am

It's ironic but if I remember correctly it was the Tommy McCook release on B&F that garnered the first and probably only complaints about sound on a B&F release.
Mark T
Mark T

Postby skunkride » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:25 am

From the sound clips on PS website it sounds like the result of using brutal amount of noise reduction, probably to eliminate tape hiss or (more likely) vinyl crackle.

http://www.pressure.co.uk/store/PS81/to ... e-in-jazz/

So, no surface noise but they might have ruined the music completely...i understand that many people (especially CD consumers) are obsessed with having clean audio without surface noise or other artifacts but the results here sounds just bad - however i'm still curious to listen to the vinyl itself as it's dangerous to make judgement from low resolution sound clips...
skunkride

Postby David » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:38 pm

Havent heard it yet, but isnt this the second time that ps ruin a good record? On the last perry comp some songs were too slow, and ps insisted that the music was originally intended to sound so. I guess they should take more care about sound quality!
David

Postby Chaz » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:27 pm

It was "Phil Pratt Thing" that was the big mastering mess up. Very unfortunate as it's a superb compilation.
Chaz

Postby edgar » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:41 pm

the original LP sounds great. The first track (grass root ) also came on 7 inch (Wind 7'', with an unrelated Techniques tune on the flip)

To me it sounds like a sloppy transfer from old vinyl to digital. Had pretty similar effects a couple of times while using audacity. Someone didn't use proper equipment. The digital equipment (a laptop?) used combined with a basic turntable can't handle all the frequency ranges and layers of music. Needs a proper sound-card at least. or even better take it to some audio engineering studio...

That's why its picks up the melodica pretty well , while not the percussion at the same time. Had the same with a 12 inch once. It picked up certain instruments very well, while either the bass was gone or other parts dissapeared.
thank you putting this on here- best reggae track ever, apart from most bob marley tracks
edgar

Next

Return to General discussion