best CLOCKTOWER records

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

best CLOCKTOWER records

Postby pampasjudas » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:25 pm

hello!

recently i have been through my collection and checking out the handful of Clocktower/Abraham records i own.
some are very good, some less so... at times the sound quality is pretty bad.
i wanted to explore the label a little further, but am not sure what is really worth purchasing in their extensive catalogue.
any suggestion? anything i really shouldn't miss?

thanks in advance!!!
- pampasjudas. xxx
pampasjudas

Re: best CLOCKTOWER records

Postby informer » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:59 pm

original clocktower releases (not abraham) worth checking:

Aggrovators - Rockers almighty dub
Aggrovators - King of dub
Prince Jazzbo - Ital corner
Johnny Clarke - Originally Mr.Clarke
Linval Thompson - Six Babylon
Linval Thompson - Don't cut off your dreadlocks
Scientist - Scientific dub
'the one who cleans the s.h.i.t must remember it' (Lee Perry)
informer

Postby edgar » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:57 pm

Brad Osbourne the owner of clocktower died in 86'. He was shot and killed in his store after an argument with a customer. He mostly licensed stuff from Jamaican producers like Bunny lee and Lee Perry (he also worked on hiphop/rap releases) After that the store was eventually sold and his label sold to some Canadian guy (Abraham) who added all kinds of bogus releases to the existing catalog in the following years/ during the 90s

His album the King of Dub is pretty bad...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QehX02DLKQ
thank you putting this on here- best reggae track ever, apart from most bob marley tracks
edgar

Postby Ital Dokta » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:11 pm

The bogus (new) Clocktower/Abraham releases are still pretty common over here, some local record shops are stocked full of them and have little else in their reggae section, multiple copies of Ital Corner etc. Apparently Abraham's has a guy making the rounds of record shops and basically selling vinyl stock out of his car trunk.
Ital Dokta

Postby pampasjudas » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:22 pm

edgar wrote:Brad Osbourne the owner of clocktower died in 86'. He was shot and killed in his store after an argument with a customer. He mostly licensed stuff from Jamaican producers like Bunny lee and Lee Perry (he also worked on hiphop/rap releases) After that the store was eventually sold and his label sold to some Canadian guy (Abraham) who added all kinds of bogus releases to the existing catalog in the following years/ during the 90s

oh, i didn't know. what a sad story...
i'll try to stick to the original catalogue, then.

thank you!
- pampas. xxx
pampasjudas

Postby informer » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:44 pm

great picture btw ...

some more:
Upsetters "Scratch&Company Chapter 1"
Upsetters "Blackboard jungle dub" (with the best cover)
Horace Andy "Pure Rankin"
King Tubby "Dub from the roots"
King Tubby "The roots of dub"
'the one who cleans the s.h.i.t must remember it' (Lee Perry)
informer

Postby Rootsitup » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:48 pm

The Sound of Macka dub vol 1 on orange clocktower label
Rootsitup

Postby TruthTown » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:04 pm

TruthTown

Postby Don Cosmic » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:18 pm

Ital Dokta wrote:The bogus (new) Clocktower/Abraham releases are still pretty common over here, some local record shops are stocked full of them and have little else in their reggae section, multiple copies of Ital Corner etc. Apparently Abraham's has a guy making the rounds of record shops and basically selling vinyl stock out of his car trunk.

A guy who is related to the owner of Abraham does the same thing over here in Los Angeles. Record store owners tell me that he drives up from San Diego every month or two and does the rounds at all the record stores. Sad when you see these bootleg records at big stores here like Amoeba Records. It only continues the unjust treatment of the artists when it comes to payment on their work.
Don Cosmic

Postby jay-b » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:08 am

Some great stuff came out on Clocktower in the late 70's - although the Abraham rereleases in recent yrs have been decidedly inferior - favourites are the dub LP's sound of macka, rockers almighty dub, king of dub, scientific dub, dub from the roots and dancehall style dub - many featuring re-editing / re- mixing by brad osbourne & co in the US.

However by some accounts, the blackboard jungle dub issued by clocktower was based on a cassette given by scratch to brad - which may explain its rather flat, un- dynamic sound ............
jay-b

Return to General discussion