GREAT TRIBULATION: The Life & Times of Hugh Mundell

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: GREAT TRIBULATION: The Life & Times of Hugh Mundell

Postby Dubba » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:32 pm

Just had a quick scan of the link, looks fantastic. Looking forward to taking it all in, thanks for the this.
Dubba

Postby Mellowman » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:28 pm

Fantastic work, seriously in depth. Great telling of a story that hadn't been told. Amazing!!!
Mellowman

Postby ras2thebone » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:22 pm

Just added to the article my interview with Shanachie Records chief Randall Grass regarding the Blackman's Foundation LP:

In 1988, the Shanachie record label out of Ho Ho Kus, New Jersey issued the posthumous Blackman’s Foundation album, which includes five tracks from Time and Place (1981) along with an additional four cuts from the same period. Composed primarily of tracks produced by Augustus Pablo, the riddims are solid and the track list includes a handful of Pablo’s best-loved Rockers-style arrangements.

I spoke with label chief Randall Grass about the album and how it all came together:

“My memory is a bit hazy, but as I remember, Hugh came to us through Augustus Pablo. Pablo might have even brought Hugh to our office around 1982, but I’m not sure about that. I think we were being presented with Hugh’s Time And Place album to license…and we felt it needed a couple more tracks. We retitled it because it had been out already. Hugh was kind of at his height at that point because of the success of Africa Must Be Free By 1983 a couple years earlier so he was getting bookings for shows in the U.S. and I think was staying on the West Coast for awhile. But by the time we brought out Blackman’s Foundation, the first wave of excitement for roots reggae was waning, dancehall was taking off and it sold only modestly.

Hugh called us about putting out a new album. The music was strong but we felt the market was too weak and I had to tell him that we weren’t interested. I felt bad about that. Hugh had taken me around when I first came to Kingston the year before, even bringing Yabby You to me when I remarked on how much I wanted to meet him (that resulted in us putting out Yabby’s One Heart One Love collection). In fact, when Hugh was driving me around, the other people in the car were his girlfriend and Jr. Reid, at that time an unknown. I remember Jr. Reid saying to me ‘I can sing too!’ as we rode in the back of Hugh’s car. Not long after all this we got a call from Pablo….he said ‘dem shot Mundell!’ And that’s when we heard the terrible circumstances of Hugh’s death.”
ras2thebone

Postby jesperoots » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:17 pm

Thanks for the link. Fantastic article.

Dont agree with Steve Barrow when reducing Mundell to a "chanter". To me, good singing is not all about technique, the tone of the voice is a big matter and Mundell surely had a great tone and a sincere feel to it. At least to my ears.
jesperoots

Postby jesperoots » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:05 pm

Everytime I read in depth articles like this on the Internet I wish they could be collected in a printed book. Something to keep and browse from time to time. Its the kind of stories that you may wanna read again and look back into years later. Internet is just too dynamic, cant rely on these sites to last forever. I guess you could always just print it out, but thats not the same either.

The reason I havent tried is that it would be too much hassle working out publishing rights for everything, especially old footage. Maybe sometime in the future.

Another article I really enjoyed was this one about Knowledge:
http://www.reggae-vibes.com/concert/kno ... wledge.htm
jesperoots

Postby mark b » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:42 pm

Excellent mundell,article,,photos.
Cant agree with this though:

[quote]. It’s called ‘Hugh Mundell Live at The Stone’ and it’s pretty good. The only thing was, the local band I hired to back him up just wasn’t up to the level of Mundell’s singing, I don’t think they took enough time to learn his songs./quote]

Thought the band were great,amazing vibe ,, can hear melodica blowing during "Feeling Alright" One of the best gigs of any genre.

Believe Penny Reel also interviewed him,unpublished?
mark b

Postby ras2thebone » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:37 am

mark b wrote:Excellent mundell,article,,photos.
Cant agree with this though:

. It’s called ‘Hugh Mundell Live at The Stone’ and it’s pretty good. The only thing was, the local band I hired to back him up just wasn’t up to the level of Mundell’s singing, I don’t think they took enough time to learn his songs./quote]

Thought the band were great,amazing vibe ,, can hear melodica blowing during "Feeling Alright" One of the best gigs of any genre.

Believe Penny Reel also interviewed him,unpublished?

You are spot on. Reel interviewed him for a piece that appeared in the November 8, 1980 issue of Black Echoes.

I really appreciate the kind words about the story. It took more than a year to get this story straight and there were a lot of disappointments. Mundell's family had agreed to be involved, we even discussed a book, but they pulled at the last minute. I got word from his sister though. She read it and loved it and now I'm doing a Skype thing with her to add a bunch of personal memories. That is what's great about web publishing. It's a living document that will evolve over time.

A lot of stories that I had to leave out too. It was just getting too wordy. Like Doctor Dread told me that he inked a distribution deal with Mundell & Pablo the day before Mundell was killed.It almost didn't happen because Mundell was hours late meeting him. Based on that deal, RAS would go on to distribute Africa Must Be Free + Dub all over the world, throughout Europe, Asia, South America. So maybe that album would not be as well known as it is today had that meeting not gone off.

Also, there were a lot of rumors coming in from folks that Mundell was a mess in Oakland when Jerry Stein brought him up in 1981. Alcohol, drugs. I could not confirm this with anyone. I pushed Jerry Stein hard on it and he still swears that it never happened. Doug Wendt, who produced and promoted the show at Berkeley where Mundell played with the Wailers and Wailing Souls, also told me that Mundell was in fine shape and that his performance was stellar. Too bad he botched the taping! I love Doug though. He's done so much to forward reggae in the US.
ras2thebone

Postby mark b » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:55 pm

I got word from his sister though. She read it and loved it and now I'm doing a Skype thing with her to add a bunch of personal memories.

Thats great to hear.

A quote attributed to pablo,about mundell that always resonated with me, was "He went to far to soon"

Suppose theirs no truth in the rumour that one of the 3 cameras were "accidentally" left on during the stone gig(some screen shots would of surfaced at least by now)

Anyway Thanks for all the works you have put into this.

PS, have you heard his brief appearances on Volcano and Killamanjaro,both times with J Reid
Edit,just checked its in your extensive piece.
mark b

Return to General discussion