What's The Most You've Spent on a Record?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: What's The Most You've Spent on a Record?

Postby KEEL » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:08 pm

£27 Vampire Devon Irons Cannonball
£27 Easy mi yout Stan Ryck
Throw out your life line...
KEEL

Postby Mark T » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:46 am

i think I'm a lightweight, though usually working on a budget. Recently got new new employment after a prolonged stint without a job and decided to splurge. 32.49 Euros for Tapper Zukie's Blackman LP.
The bugger appears not to have shipped the item and doesn't respond to emails - so it's a PayPal claim at the moment. :(
Mark T
Mark T

Postby Mick Sleeper » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:40 am

$50 for "Man Of Dignity" by Roman Stewart (Black Art). $50 is my limit for 7" singles, $100 for LPs. And they have to be something that I really, really want. Otherwise, I do my best to walk away.
Without music, life is an error. (Nietzsche)
Bass Culture: http://podcast.upsetter.net
Eternal Thunder: http://www.upsetter.net/scratch
Mick Sleeper

Postby Apostle » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:07 pm

Like radio buddy Shadrach, a few times I bid more than 100 euros:

- Ijahman Levi - Moulding 12" on Jahmani -100 £ (actually I saw that one go for way less a few times, even for 25 quid- but at the time I bought it everybody told me to 'just give up')
- Howie Smart & Daddy Soujie-Reggae Music 12" on Black Diamond -100 £ (funny story this one, me and Shadrach were bidding against each other, and the ebay auction was hosted by a friend of ours who plays at the same radio show! I won, and the friend let me pay 100 euro in cash instead of 100 quid- he found it quite funny as well)
- Determination Showcase LP on Channel One Recordings - 117 £ (must say that is long ago, and I was more impulsive back then. That Lp is still well hard to source though. Don't pity the fact I have it in my closet.)

It's been two years ago since I did that kind of bids, have become quite a bit more sensible since my daughter was born. Even though I very recently spent 75 euros on Namo Jama-Now is the time. Well spent.
Must say the patience approach is rewarding in the end.

Hope to see you back soon on the radio Shadrach! It's been too long.
Apostle

Postby Baba Jonah » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:22 pm

I've spent, and will spend in the future, a max of £50, one was a dubplate acetate the other was a digi classic Cocoa Tea Girl Get Ready in NM cond.

Unless I sell records that I've spent brand new prices on years ago for money, I'm happy being patient for reissues or buying new releases, but its nice to treat yourself once in a while for the right tune.

Of course if I shot weed or was made of cash I'd be buying everything all the time, but would not appreciate the records themeselves.

I get annoyed at the Post Office when I sell tunes to Europe as the recorded delivery rate (I refuse to ship any other way due to missing tunes etc) is 10.25 so a lot of Euro-buyers moan at me that its too expensive or I'm trying to rip them off. I say this to you lot - moan and direct your hate to the right people ie the Post Office, or dont buy tunes its simple.

If your moaning / shocked / surprised / annoyed at the cost of records, go the mp3 route on the money tunes and just buy the cheap ones / new releases - its what I and many of my roots bredren are forced to do our my wage packet. Only the rich can afford to run a vinyl ship tightly these times.

Big up BAF, enjoy your weekend. :mrgreen:
http://www.facebook.com/jahecho.hifi
http://www.facebook.com/CentahSound
Baba Jonah

Postby adrians wall » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:44 am

Most Ive spent on a 7" is 17 UK pounds which was Mental Slavery by Singie Shanti which I now have a dubplate cut of courtesy of Russ D. Most on a 12" is $32 Australian (approx 20 UK pounds) which was Prophecy by Fabian on Tribesman which I only justified as I got 10 or so other tunes at the same time for $5 Australian each so decided the average was low enough that I could go ahead with it.

Now if your talking about specials or dubplates thats a different matter. Still wont pay the 200+ pound/euro that most dub sessions seem to be. With unreleased stuff the big cost is getting it cut onto slate but now I've got a good link with a man with a lathe that's come down a lot and I can get more stuff done.

Maybe one day when I've got some disposable income I can afford to spend more on tunes but at the moment there is so much good stuff coming out that I just cant justify spending 100 quid on a single tune when I could use that money to get 7 or 8 other tunes which are equally as good just easier to find and on brand new clean vinyl.
adrians wall

Postby Baba Jonah » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:31 pm

Not all dubplates are expensive, you have to 'shop around' and be linked in to the people who put up their sample packs on FB and other places online in my experience, unless you have a direct link to a big producer who sends you tunes for free.

As you say Adrian, its whether then you play off a laptop using the emailoed WAV's or cut them onto wax / acetate.
http://www.facebook.com/jahecho.hifi
http://www.facebook.com/CentahSound
Baba Jonah

Postby Captain » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:46 am

Most ever spent was 260$ for Archie Palmer & Peter St. Patrick - Lonely girl (Progress Miami 12"). I had previously spent 110$ for its companion Archie Palmer - Man be careful (Progress 12") on the same riddim.

Captain
Captain

Postby Ringo » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:43 pm

Reckon £120 is my record. Paid over £100 a few times, I think Versatiles - Stronger Strong was the last one.
Purple Radio - Every other Wednesday 6:30 - 8pm http://www.purple-radio.co.uk

Archive of old shows http://www.crytough.com/purple.html
Ringo

Postby dan i dubdub » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:50 pm

Baba Jonah wrote:As you say Adrian, its whether then you play off a laptop using the emailoed WAV's or cut them onto wax / acetate.

Laptop route is expensive and doesn't always sound great. Prob better saving your money and burning onto CD or using mp3 player (frankly sound better than laptops in a dance IMHO!). Money saved = more tunes (or more bread and water!)!
bring love spread peace

dan i
dan i dubdub

Postby chalice » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:49 pm

it was 80€ for the mighty vikings - rumpelstillskin 7" wincox a few month ago in a local record shop.
i think the most expensive & oldest record in my box
chalice

Postby marmalade » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:44 am

chalice wrote:it was 80€ for the mighty vikings - rumpelstillskin 7" wincox a few month ago in a local record shop.
i think the most expensive & oldest record in my box

Bargain!
marmalade

Postby underated » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:24 pm

The most i ever spent for a record ?
30/ 40 quid for For Marley / Tosh box sets .

I never paid more than 20 quid for an album, I'm not a collector just an ordinary listener & never heard anything special worth more than that amount of money, each to their own i guess.

Some of the collectors choice is not my taste in music,
I would not even play those tunes if someone gave me albums for free :)
underated

Postby Reggie Love » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:56 pm

Have a similar approach to Underated. The most I've paid for an LP is around £20 each for Scientist V Jammy big Showdown and Heavyweight dub champion. For a cd, about £18 for dub in the roots tradition by Scientist, when I was completing my Blood and Fire collection.
Reggie Love

Postby giab » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:06 pm

Spent €35.00 each for copies of London Underground - Compilation 80-84 CD & Rema-Rema - Wheel In The Roses CD recently.
Everything in moderation, especially moderation
giab

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion