Shorty The President

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Shorty The President

Postby j j » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:34 am

Just wondering what people think of this DJ? I don't see his name mentioned as often as other DJ's from the 1970's....Anybody have any stand out tracks by him or what his most popular tunes were..?

thanks
j j
j j

Re: Shorty The President

Postby kingj » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:07 am

Shorty made some good tunes...notably don't skulk school...and too much gal out a street..for gibbs. He also did 354 on advance...he also did a fine track over Horace andys love of a woman..for bunny lee.
Lp he did higher ranking on third world..pretty good
and check out...various artist lps..rasta have ambition..and dreadlocks in jamaica
kingj

Postby beenie bongo » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:50 am

Another nice version by Shorty is "Natty Pass his GCE" on Crazy Joe/Joe Gibbs. great DJ cut to Culture's "Jah Jah See Dem A Come".
beenie bongo

Postby Ranking Glasses » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:24 pm

Not my favourite DJ to be honest. "Yamaha Skank" and "President a Mash Up The Resident" on the Conversation rhythm and of course "Skank in Bed", the DJ cut to Lorna Bennett's "Breakfast in Bed".
Ranking Glasses

Postby steve rice » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:40 pm

Ranking Glasses wrote:Not my favourite DJ to be honest. "Yamaha Skank" and "President a Mash Up The Resident" on the Conversation rhythm and of course "Skank in Bed", the DJ cut to Lorna Bennett's "Breakfast in Bed".

I think Skank in bed is Scotty not Shorty

He gets overlooked a lot not sure why..when President mash up the Resident came out it was an absolute smash hit..it would get play after play..rupie killed it with so many different pieces and people got sick of the rhythm i reckon..the best piece of it is the Joe White Melodica cut...Lloyd charmers came out with his "Touching the President" and that killed them all off!!!
I guess as a gimmick the whistle and the "ah ah y'know" was great at first but you can't do that forever....personally i like his Ten to Ten on the Jestering rhythm for Randys
every Saturday morning from 10 till noon
downbeat melody show
www.passionradiobristol.com

live it up!
steve rice

Postby Mark T » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:19 pm

I recently picked up 'GCE' and I think it's pretty good but I don't know much of his stuff.
Mark T
Mark T

Postby asher selector » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:56 pm

Reggae Muzik More www.raspectshop.com Irie ...
asher selector

Postby Ranking Glasses » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:05 pm

Whoops, sorry!

The simple answer for me is that there were other DJs who were so much better. He didn't have U Roy's melodic style or Big Youth's voice and he wasn't half as cool as Dennis Alcapone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDGntLeRQRM
Ranking Glasses

Postby davesjukebox » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:53 am

I mostly agree with Ranking Glasses, but I've come across a few 45s of his that I like. "Yamma Way", "Judy Way", "Natty Pass His G.C.E."...
http://www.davesjukebox.net - Ska / Rocksteady / Reggae Blog and Record Store
davesjukebox

Postby Peter Dalton » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:28 pm

A couple more Shorty the President singles that I consider worth picking up should you come across them:

"Ital Blues"/King Tubby, "Twelve Tribe Blues", Bomb Shell (versions of Marley's "Talking Blues")
"No Peace"/Mighty Two, War, Town-N-Country
Peter Dalton

Postby marko » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:35 am

used to play his dj cut over sun is shining riddim off the higher ranking lp, that version of the riddim is so tough, cant fail with that.
marko

Postby RB » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:17 pm

agree w/ most others, not the best deejay but he went in on some tough rhythms. sun is shining, and a couple other heavy cuts for bunny lee, pieces to barry brown vocals...on that LP on CINDY label...
RB

Return to General discussion