records i have that im not sure exist...Eden Pon Dem

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

records i have that im not sure exist...Eden Pon Dem

Postby jb welda » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:58 pm

well similar to another thread I was sorting through 12" the other day and I came across a record on the Beardie label that according to the labels has johnny osbourne: rock and come on on the A side, and papa tullo: outa sight on the B side.

the problem is the B side is actually black uhuru: eden pon dem, completely different mix than I have ever heard.

I searched around on the net for this record and its common enough for a somewhat rare record, but no one mentions about eden pon dem on the b side, everyone says it is papa tullo.

the note I have on the sleeve, not in my handwriting, mentions that the black uhuru track was issued as Beardie BD-300B, while the johnny osbourne/papa tullo is BD-100A/B and that's what the labels say. the matrix numbers in the dead wax though say BD 100 A on the A side, but 300 B on the B side (and there is no "BD" prefix scratched in there on the B side).

So the question is, does anyone else have this record, and what is on the B side of it? do I have some kind of strange pressing or were they all like this and just mislabeled. I would have thought the latter but the matrix number makes me wonder.

thanks in advance for any info

one love
jb
jb welda

Re: records i have that im not sure exist...Eden Pon Dem

Postby jb welda » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:10 pm

and then again perhaps I will answer my own question...from a discography I just found:

BD-100 Johnny Osbourne / Black Uhuru Rock And Come On / Eden Pon Street ‎(12", M/Print)
BD 300 Black Uhuru Unity Time / Eden Pan Street ‎(12")
BD-500 Johnny Osbourne Lend Me Yu Chapper ‎(12")
BD-700 Junior Reid, Papa Tullo A-One Lover; Out Of Sight ‎(12")
BD-1100 General Jah Mikey For The Longest Time ‎(12")
PR-001 Trevor African Dance Hall Vibes / Love Is Overdue ‎(12")
PR-002 Trevor African 9 To 5 / Sun Set ‎(12")

ok then does this match anyone elses experience?

one thing I know, I need that BD-500!

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby RB » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:24 pm

the mis-press of the osbourne w/ the uhuru b-side is fairly common.

the earlier press w/ the actual Tullo b-side (on a generic/stock Beardie label, not the one w/ the pirate) is much less common.

the correctly labeled Uhuru w/ eden/unity is pretty rare, the 'lend me your chopper' and 'a1 lover' 12"s are somewhat uncommon as well.

the rest (jah mikey, trevor african) are common b/c nobody wants them.
RB

Postby mghifi » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:15 am

I have the Lend Me Yu Chapper 12". Angel In My Arms is on the b-side. My copy of the Rock & Come On 12" is the generic/stock Beardie label one and has the Papa Tullo track on the flip. I've been trying to find the Uhuru one for quite a while.
mghifi

Postby Werner » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:07 am

mghifi wrote:I have the Lend Me Yu Chapper 12". Angel In My Arms is on the b-side.

I have this one on UK Starlight label:

SLD 526 Johnny Osbourne - Angel In My Arms // Johnny Osbourne & Papa Tullo - Lend Me A Chopper
Werner

Postby kingj » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:29 pm

I have a copy of the properly labled Eden Pon Dem...are you saying the mislabeled 12 is a different mix? That is the copy I haven't heard.
kingj

Postby RB » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:45 pm

it's not a diff mix, it's the same stamper used on the correctly labeled and the mis-labeled one.
RB

Postby beenie bongo » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:16 pm

if you're loooking for the Tullo version, you could also check for Black Joy 12" 'DH 818A' with Johnny Osbourne & Papa Tullo on the A side and version on the B side.
beenie bongo

Return to General discussion