Joe Gibbs labels

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Joe Gibbs labels

Postby Mark T » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:56 am

What is it with Joe Gibbs labels? Did they only ever employ people who couldn't put them on straight!
There's always a mad dash to lift the needle before it goes skidding over the paper making a terrible noise.
One of the quirks of Ja vinyl I guess.
Mark T
Mark T

Re: Joe Gibbs labels

Postby kingj » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:20 am

HAHAHA I noticed that too. but actually, for the most part, Gibbs put out great mastered products, used good vinyl, nice packaging.
I've noticed that 70's channel one 45's in particular,scratch, or sound scratchy very easily...even cleaner looking 45's sound scratchy!
kingj

Postby Mark T » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:18 pm

Well they certainly have a great sound but there are so many records with pressing flaws - I have a lovely looking copy of Dillinger Tribal War that has a terrible hiss all the way through - gotta love 'em though.
Mark T
Mark T

Postby Ras Berry » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:21 pm

I bought an album from a seller on eBay a few years ago - not Joe Gibbs related - when it arrived I found the label on side 2 was way off centre, covering the last two tracks (funnily enough they didn't play too badly). I complained to the seller who said it probably made the record more valuable as there probably wasn't another like it. Gotta admire his cheek really

8)
Ras Berry

Postby v66ald » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:01 am

Mark T wrote:What is it with Joe Gibbs labels? Did they only ever employ people who couldn't put them on straight!
There's always a mad dash to lift the needle before it goes skidding over the paper making a terrible noise.
One of the quirks of Ja vinyl I guess.
Mark T

Haha. not just me, then
v66ald

Postby marmalade » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:52 pm

there seems to be a year or two in the late '70s when Joe Gibbs' pressing quality goes downhill - i have a few that have a low volume hiss all the way through that's from the pressing
marmalade

Postby Mark T » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:25 am

I think it's just uneven Marmalade - good and bad pressing all through the years but I agree there definitely are some hissy ones from that period. There's a poster from Holland on here who would probably know best as he has a ton of Joe Gibbs singles.
Mark T
Mark T

Postby Cold Sweat » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:54 am

the brown/yellow Joe Gibbs Record Globe labels usually sound very hissy. Have never come accross a good sounding copy of Mighty Diamonds' "Keep on Moving' for instance.
Also the yellow Crazy Beats, like Nooks 'Tribal War' and Shortie's 'School" always tend to sound a bit distant. Other than that, never had much problems. The early stuff sounds great and well heavy.
http://pressurebeat.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pressurebeatblog
Cold Sweat

Postby edgar » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:29 pm

about a decade ago I had several mint stock copies of Majestic dub (yellow red Joe Gibbs label) They were vinyl-wise all completely flawless. Except for a weird disco boogie woogie tune on it which was not included on the later repress.
thank you putting this on here- best reggae track ever, apart from most bob marley tracks
edgar

Postby nickfa » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:18 pm

edgar wrote:about a decade ago I had several mint stock copies of Majestic dub (yellow red Joe Gibbs label) They were vinyl-wise all completely flawless. Except for a weird disco boogie woogie tune on it which was not included on the later repress.

i think that will be Bionic Encounter, left off laters ones and on some cd's.
i think the track had copyright issues.
Nick
nickfa

Postby nickfa » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:24 pm

Cold Sweat wrote:the brown/yellow Joe Gibbs Record Globe labels usually sound very hissy. Have never come accross a good sounding copy of Mighty Diamonds' "Keep on Moving' for instance.
Also the yellow Crazy Beats, like Nooks 'Tribal War' and Shortie's 'School" always tend to sound a bit distant. Other than that, never had much problems. The early stuff sounds great and well heavy.

I think I agree with you their Cold sweat brown and yellow seemed to have problems ie prince hammer Dreadlocks thing, Althea's Downtown thing and Mighty Diamonds Keep on moving..but i do have good copies of each so they are out there, but with the way some folks grade you never seem to know until they arrive and on your deck.
Nick
nickfa

Postby Mark T » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:00 am

"i think the track had copyright issues." - Joe Gibbs, copyright issues? Nah, you must be thinking of some other producer. :)

I have Kojak Different Style on the yellow brown label which is pretty good. There is something about the sound I totally love - just hate the wonky labels.
Mark T
Mark T

Postby jay-b » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:06 pm

like all JA vinyl - joe gibbs pressings can be a bit hit and miss - but I've found them better than most oer the years - originals from the mid to late 70's might look a little rough but are pressed with deep groves and sound well crisp with good separation - an original copy of one of the dub LP's will usually sound better than the UK issue or any later reissue
jay-b

Postby nickfa » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:57 pm

strangely i have found that my JA pressed 12" joe gibbs often sound better than the palm tree US pressed ones.
nickfa

Postby jb welda » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:10 pm

they seemed to go through a period when they were pressing 12"s in florida and they all were warpy and many sounded like your stylus was riding between grooves instead of in them. I stopped buying them back then because of it. then one time ernie b had a whole ton of them cheap and I bought up some of them...same thing: warpy and crappy sounding. plus I never did really love most joe gibbs productions: he used a lot of cheap gimmicks and his DJ chanters were uniformly poor if you ask me...many a 12" was ruined by the DJ extension...many will disagree I am sure.

about grading though, I refuse to take actual sound into my grading because its ja vinyl and that should say it all. "store stock" is a term I picked up somewhere and that describes it well: they are what you would buy in a store and take home to find out whether it is listenable or not. what it also means is that the record has not been abused since purchase new, but the quality may have been lacking right from the pressing plant. I am too much of a perfectionist to try to include this variable in my grading, they all sound sh*t to me if I get too picky about it and people just have to know if they buy ja vinyl its gonna be a crapshoot as to quality, just like it was when I bought the records new from the shop.

one love
jb
jb welda

Next

Return to General discussion