What´s the 2ND best Mighty Diamonds album?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

What´s the 2ND best Mighty Diamonds album?

Postby AT2JA » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:16 pm

I´m pretty sure most of you would agree that "Right Time" is an incredible timeless classic and the Diamond´s best. However, I personally have not heard anything in their enormous catalog that lives up to that masterpiece. Perhaps I´m missing something and you´d like to point me in the right direction? :D
AT2JA

Re: What´s the 2ND best Mighty Diamonds album?

Postby jb welda » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:38 pm

my favorites tend to be compilations like the one released on frontline/virgin. other than that I loved their singles for the most part but full length releases seemed kinda watered down. I particularly liked the original recordings of bodyguard, juvenile child, shame and pride, them never love marcus...I say original recordings because it seemed like they redid these songs at least a couple times from the originals.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby guillaumebougard » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:07 pm

Planet Earth never ceases to raise my hair
Changes is lovely
they were literally walking on water in the 76-83 period, there is nothing to throw away.
https://www.facebook.com/slyandrobbieofficial
guillaumebougard

Postby v66ald » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:00 am

guillaumebougard wrote:Planet Earth never ceases to raise my hair
Changes is lovely
they were literally walking on water in the 76-83 period, there is nothing to throw away.

You're not wrong. I always considered Planet Earth a bit of a guilty pleasure and while I was aware of the Planet Mars dub by name never realised it was a dub of PE! Dunno how that happened!

I have a real soft spot for the Leaders of Black Countries Showcase album too
v66ald

Postby kingj » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:21 pm

I really love the Planet Earth lp...though recorded at compass point, to me it retains the full Jamaican sound,with the classic musician lineup.
Stand Up to Your Judgement is mighty fine too!!
kingj

Postby AT2JA » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:36 pm

How would you rate " Reggae Street" in comparison to "Planet Earth" or "Leaders of Black Countries" ? Anyone...
AT2JA

Postby supplanter » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:07 pm

As a complete album, The Real Enemy would be my second favorite. But, as mentioned, they have many singles that are more essential.
supplanter

Postby kingj » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:23 pm

AT2JA wrote:How would you rate " Reggae Street" in comparison to "Planet Earth" or "Leaders of Black Countries" ? Anyone...

I would say planet earth is the best of the 3...easily for me...reggae street I never really took to too tuff...I do like songs on the Leaders lp..plus its a showcase lp...especially the first track..No more will I roam...
kingj

Postby AT2JA » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:16 am

Pardon my stupidity, but what is a "Showcase" lp? I mean, what does that mean? Is a showcase somehow different from a normal lp?
AT2JA

Postby Natty Matti » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:08 am

AT2JA wrote:Pardon my stupidity, but what is a "Showcase" lp? I mean, what does that mean? Is a showcase somehow different from a normal lp?

Vocals + dubs
Natty Matti

Postby kingj » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:32 am

kingj wrote:
AT2JA wrote:How would you rate " Reggae Street" in comparison to "Planet Earth" or "Leaders of Black Countries" ? Anyone...

I would say planet earth is the best of the 3...easily for me...reggae street I never really took to too tuff...I do like songs on the Leaders lp..plus its a showcase lp...especially the first track..No more will I roam...

Let me put it simply... you would not be disappointed if you bought all 3 of the stated lps...so, finances permitting,.....shop away!!
kingj

Postby Anbessa » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:44 am

For me it would be "Deeper roots", what a great LP !
www.soulofanbessa.com
Anbessa

Postby AT2JA » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:06 am

kingj wrote:
kingj wrote:

Let me put it simply... you would not be disappointed if you bought all 3 of the stated lps...so, finances permitting,.....shop away!!

Well,I own and I like "...Street" but it doesn´t come anywhere close to "Right Time" for me.

I have in the meanwhile sent away (yes I still buy CDs) for "LOBC" and "Planet Earth" so I shall soon compare for myself. Can´t wait! :D
AT2JA

Postby jay-b » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:45 pm

Love the Mighty Diamonds - 70's through to the mid 80's they were untouchable. Top Ten LP's in order would be:

1 right time
2 kouchie vibes (great comp on burning sounds covering - late 70's early 80's ext mixes)
3 stand up to your judgement (J&J '78- channel one similar sound to right time)
4 tell me whats wrong (79 channel one - again if you like right time you'll like this)
5 reggae street (always thought this was a great LP - rhythms aren't heavyweight channel one style but the songs, the singing and the melodies are spot on)
6 heads of government (showcase style - germain production from early /mid 80's - love the track "same knife"
7 deeper roots (2Lp set with one of dubs)
8 pass the kouchie (on their own kinarky label - title track is in fact a do-over of the oft played gussie hit - don't be discouraged there some great stuff to be heard throughout the LP)
9 changes (well known gussie comp)
10 planet earth (always thought overrated (not as bad as ice on fire though!)
jay-b

Postby Natty Dread Magazine » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:50 pm

Come on, let's be serious: there is NO second album of the MD. But the only one we have is worth hundreds of "second LPs".
Natty Dread Editions / Jamaica Insula
http://www.jamaica-insula.com
Natty Dread Magazine

Next

Return to General discussion