Why LSP is still on stage?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Why LSP is still on stage?

Postby iosumarti » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:50 pm

Yesterday I saw for second time in my life Perry live, with Mad Professor and the Robotiks. As you know, the show was pathetic.
So, why is still on stage?
1- He needs money (I don´t think so)
2-Is beeing "manipulated" by others to continue: family, wife, managers, promotors... He still attract audience...
3-He enjoys touring: yesterday I was very close of him, and without knowing him personally, I couldn´t say he was enjoying: maybe bored, tired, or whatever... He is 77.
Personally I think LSP is very clever: half mad, half wizard. He has "built"a a big myth on his persona. I write built, but I know that it is also the way he has lived for long time.

My opinion is that people of his "family" is using him; IMO he could manage better his myth in another and respectable way; making some collaborations as producer, some plastic art exhibition, some prepared show...
I consider myself LSPs big supporter, but yesterday (and I knew what is going to happen) i feel a bit of pity.
What do you think about?
iosumarti

Re: Why LSP is still on stage?

Postby jb welda » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:35 pm

I think he needs the money to maintain his high living lifestyle what with the swiss wench and all. plus I think he is and has always been a bit of an attention hound so like mick jagger his lifes worth is on the stage and if he isn't on the stage getting audience adulation, he starts thinking he is worthless. just my opinion and observation of course.

too bad you didn't witness his act during his first couple years of "comeback", about 94 or so if I recall right. he and robotiks were on FIRE but of course they still had victor cross and (I assume he is still there) black steel on guitars and some vocals. after that the quality of his performance took a nose dive almost immediately and he became for lack of a better word, a parody of himself, maybe a caricature is a better way to think of it. again much like mick jagger over the past couple decades.

sometimes its better to quit while youre ahead and leave em wanting more. I believe it was micks buddy keith Richards said that and I wholeheartedly agree.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby Mick Sleeper » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:39 am

I think the bigger question is "Why did Lee Perry stop producing other artists and instead concentrate on solo work?" After 1980, his true talent behind the mixing board has been squandered in favour of weird and erratic works, both on record and on stage. As much as I respect Scratch for continuing to follow his muse and trying new things, quality control has been out the window for a very long time now.
Without music, life is an error. (Nietzsche)
Bass Culture: http://podcast.upsetter.net
Eternal Thunder: http://www.upsetter.net/scratch
Mick Sleeper

Postby rastapopoulos » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:40 am

The power of lee Perry as a producer, was his out of the box thinking. It inspired the musicians and singers to find a more free way to express themselves.
As a performer, he took this ability to another level. By acting as a madman, even the most stiff and formal person in the audience will loosen up a little. So actually, I think that Lee Perry is doing the same thing he has always been doing, only nowadays he reaches a much bigger group of people. And of course, when you are 77 you will have less energy, but I think it doesn't make sense to think a character like Perry would let himself be forced by anyone.
rastapopoulos

Postby marty » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:01 am

I've heard that question many times, still not sure what to answer, it's not an artist i enjoy seeing on a stage....

I wonder the same about Jah Shaka, I've always seen him doing the same boring selection....
marty

Postby underated » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:58 am

rastapopoulos wrote:I think it doesn't make sense to think a character like Perry would let himself be forced by anyone.

That sounds about right.
He does his own thing, after all remember what happened to the Black Ark studio all those years ago, this guy does things his way.
underated

Postby Inyaki » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:19 pm

It reads somehow as a rethorical question.

iosumarti wrote:Yesterday I saw for second time in my life Perry live......

Just ask yourself why you did....you'll have the answer.
Last edited by Inyaki on Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inyaki

Postby Herbie » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:55 pm

If I was unaware of his classic Black Ark works, and made the effort to go check him live in the last few decades, I'm sure I would just consider him a very foolish entertainer playing absolute garbage. Apart from babbling nonsense I even hear a few stories of him indecently exposing himself on stage as well. What a f*cking moron!!!

On the other hand, a bredren has a photo of them together on his wall when they met at a bar in JA and he assured me he was very lucid, very good company - the opposite of his 'stage persona' / personality disorder.
Herbie

Postby iosumarti » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:22 pm

Hi Inyaki and others!
I wrote that it was the second time in my life... Yes. The first time I went to see him was as a "fan". It was in Ondarroa (Basque Country) and in the show also played Ska Cubano... Great show and summer night in the beach. Perry´s show was very bad. It was maybe 8 years ago.

This other time I went as a accredited journalist, with the hope to try to interview him, or even to take a picture with him... When we arrive to the show, they told as that it was impossible. A usual summer storm came to entirely **** the night...
But the rain passed and we could "enjoy" the show.
Happily we could return to our city to enjoy the last summer party.
:wink:
iosumarti

Postby Ranking Glasses » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:44 pm

Because no one told him to get off?
Ranking Glasses

Postby Negrote » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:28 pm

Hi iosumarti,

to your initial question: Scratch definitely enjoys what he does, that's why he does what he does! Is it so hard to believe?

About you attending the show, all interviews and photos took place AFTER the show (also because the show started a bit late and he arrived just on time at the festval-site). It took quite a while to finish and get back to the hotel. Nobody asking for attention was sent away I thought. Sorry that you did not get through.

BTW I agree with you, it was definitely not their best show, though the heavy rains had stopped just on time - the cold, unpleasant weather stayed - the sound was also not the best due to the heavy winds plus a yamaha digital mixing-desk (awfull for live dubbing); without disrespect we could call it a somehow 'weak' show. But it was fun as well! The whole environment at Expogrow (Hemp-Exhibition, Forum and Festival) with Scratch as a legalization-activist, defender of the healing of the nation, lambsbread, collyweed and good sensiminia, is defintely out of the normal, and not happening every day! Interview is still to come...

Next live-show tomorrow, Thursday, 19th Sept. 2013:

LSP & SUBATOMIC SOUNDSYSTEM .... DUB CHAMPIONS FESTIVAL, WASHINGTON DC., U.S.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvUswefcglU
Negrote

Postby edgar » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:42 pm

iosumarti wrote:
making some collaborations as producer, some plastic art exhibition, some prepared show...

He already did quite a lot of those things during the years. Last year he hosted an art exhibition (I think it was in Los Angeles not sure) He also did painting live on stage with Adrian Sherwood behind the turntable..

this clip gives you an idea:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZvl_nFUoCg

Saw him in Amsterdam about 2 years ago and it was definitely a very nice show...I personally think it also depends very much on the venue and audience and whole environment in general. I think he is in his element in small venues which can be more personal. rather than big hectic festivals (also taking his age into consideration)

I have a live recording of him which was recorded a few years ago by a friend of mine in a very small sort of youth community center. Like listening to an almost different person. Little nonsense rambling, interacting with the audience, he even gave the mic to some guy in the
audience to shout something, talking about Bob Marley and what they used to do.. that sort of stufff.

Maybe he took off his 'mask' of insanity at that moment?
thank you putting this on here- best reggae track ever, apart from most bob marley tracks
edgar

Postby edgar » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:33 pm

And people here are 'complaining', but on the contrary. We should be happy that he is still among us (after all considering his past he is highly important to reggae and Jamaican music) is doing relative well. How many artists died because of murder , drugs and Alcohol. Or more important in this case just don't give a hoot about the audience and show up 3 hours late..

And at his age is willing to entertain people and give them as far as possible a nice evening out.
thank you putting this on here- best reggae track ever, apart from most bob marley tracks
edgar

Postby jb welda » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:09 am

seriously, in response to the original question, he is still on stage because people are willing to buy tickets to whatever it is he is offering, and promoters are willing to put the shows together, and he is getting paid. I would guess the true reason is right there somewhere.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby Donovan » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:20 am

Who can afford to go to concerts anymore, regardless?
Donovan

Next

Return to General discussion