Shashamane, Ethiopia. Been there?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Shashamane, Ethiopia. Been there?

Postby AT2JA » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:23 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shashamane

I´m intrigued by this tiny Rastafarian community in Ethiopia. I may be traveling to Addis Ababa this year and was thinking of staying a few days to check out the city / country. A visit to Shashamane, while not likely, would be a pretty cool adventure I think. I´ve never been to Ethiopia so I have no idea how it is to travel there. But I´m intrigued so I hope I get the chance to visit the land of H.I.M. Haile Selassie I!

Anyone been there or know anyone who has? Anyone have any tips on traveling in Ethiopia?
AT2JA

Re: Shashamane, Ethiopia. Been there?

Postby johnnyB » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:11 pm

Never been there but would like to. One thing you should absolutely di is reading Giulia Bonacci's "Exodus" which is a great study on the repatriation subject and Shashamene in particular.As soon as I find the time I'll post a review of this great book.
I hope you can read french because I fear the english translation is not ready yet.
Have a nice trip anyway!
...who feels it knows it...
johnnyB

Postby Jah Rebel » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:51 am

I visited Shashamane a few years back... We rented a jeep in Addis, the alternative is the bus I guess but that can be a serious voyage... I penned down my experiences here:

http://www.rebelbase.be/index.php?page=67

Ites,
Rebel
Jah Rebel

Postby pinup » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:05 am

I visited Addis in April, it was a really incredible experience but unfortunately I fell ill and couldn't travel to Shashamane as I had planned.

In general travel seems fairly easy across the country although I must admit I didn't venture far. Everyone I spoke to said that the journey from Addis to Shashamane wouldn't be too difficult.
pinup

Postby DeepSelector » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:27 am

I've been Ethiopia December of couple years ago.

I haven't been Shashamane and honestly i haven't heard great things about it asking Ethiopian people...from few stories (that i cannot confirm) it's a quite dirty and dangerous place to visit...but have to say that most of the times in my trip i arrived inna city considered dirty and dangerous , was the place where i had the most fun and enjoyment!

I did travel the noth part strictly by local bus and minivan (when was impossible to take bus) and i can confirm it's not an easy voyage (buss leave damn early in the morning and often bus station is not exactly close to the center) but still very very cheap and very satisfying expecially because on the local transport it's for me one of the best way to get in touch with the Local people!

A tip i can give u about Addis , which is a fantastic city , be carefull at Mercato , lot of thieves (had my phone stolen after 4 hrs in addis looool) , worth to visit the place but keep 3 eyes open and keep your pockets empty (no wallet , no phone , no camera).

In case you plan to go i have a couple of nice contacts for guides in Lalibela and for the Nile Waterfall , young guides who speak good english...top people fe true!!!
Uday Shankar "Give the audience what they like before they know what they like"

http://www.youtube.com/rootikalist
DeepSelector

Postby monkey » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:51 pm

Yes I have been there, but many years ago (2000). As far as I recall, the journey was very difficult, even by truck (I was travelling on an overland truck from Kenya). The town itself was pretty non descript, and most of the locals were very dismissive of the rasta camp as it was then. I was dissuaded from visiting there, and from what I heard 'foreigners' were not made very welcome. Ethiopia itself was a beautiful if inaccessible place, full of many wonders. The mountains were amazing, the lakes incredible, and the rock hewn churches at Lallibella mind blowing. My overwhelming memories were of the abject poverty of most of the people I met, and I felt somewhat voyeuristic most of the time, as well as vulnerable (I was travelling on my own). I would echo the sentiments about Addis - it is very easy to be ripped of there (more so even than other big capital cities in Africa) and there are a lot of well worked scams. That said, it's an amazing city, set so high up, with a daunting historical and cultural legacy. Be interesting to hear how you find it if you make it out there. Safe journey....
monkey

Postby steve rice » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:23 pm

monkey wrote:Yes I have been there, but many years ago (2000). .

whew that is a lot of years..did you know Jesus at all
every Saturday morning from 10 till noon
downbeat melody show
www.passionradiobristol.com

live it up!
steve rice

Postby Anbessa » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:37 pm

I was there in 2001. The city itself is the worst I've seen in Ethiopia, but I had a very nice time in the rasta community, which lies a couple miles north from Shashamane.
www.soulofanbessa.com
Anbessa

Postby j j » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:12 pm

I once saw a documentary which followed a rasta guy from the UK who made a pilgrimage to Shashamane, from what I recall he didn't find the Shash rastas overly friendly partly due to the fact that the UK guy had to shave his face due to a medical problem of ingrown hair follicles. Iirc he didn't seem to be overly enjoying his visit!?
Very interesting thread though, thanks for sharing them.
j j
j j

Return to General discussion