Bitty McLean - TAXI SESSIONS - new album

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: Bitty McLean - TAXI SESSIONS - new album

Postby Peter Dalton » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:58 am

Ranking Glasses: Does this mean you don’t listen to Augustus Pablo’s versions of Studio One rhythms? Or most tunes from Channel One and Joe Gibbs? If you’re strict about only listening to original versions of rhythms, your listening must be severely restricted.
Peter Dalton

Postby guillaumebougard » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:03 am

jb welda wrote:>deluxe single= deluxe prices!

indeed, and exactly why I added that descriptor, to imply "deluxe" in every way. now the funny thing remains while they are 9 pounds in the uk they are 10$ retail at ernie b which is probably closer to 6 pounds and yet they came all the way over the ocean (maybe I am wrong but I think they are UK pressings). maybe its that VAT thing over there that kills ya.

one love
jb

And we're selling those at the same price to everyone. So Ernie is definitely being reasonable on his markup. $10 for a single nowadays is becoming the norm. Crazy, but a so it go... 9 pounds is steep, imho. but everything is so fukcing expensive in London. Dont like going there anymore...

And we're sold out on the single already...
Guillaume Bougard
guillaumebougard

Postby guillaumebougard » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:53 am

This is a new era: vinyl has become a cult object and customers dont really care about the price. Those who do buy the mp3.

I know it's not the same as vinyl, and that's why I'm really going to make an effort releasing the single in hidef audio format for sites like HDtracks or Qobuz, so you'll have the best of all worlds:

audio quality better than CD
price better than vinyl
Guillaume Bougard
guillaumebougard

Postby Ringo » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:57 am

guillaumebougard wrote:This is a new era: vinyl has become a cult object and customers dont really care about the price. Those who do buy the mp3.l

Rubbish
Purple Radio - Every other Wednesday 6:30 - 8pm http://www.purple-radio.co.uk

Archive of old shows http://www.crytough.com/purple.html
Ringo

Postby guillaumebougard » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:40 pm

Ringo wrote:
guillaumebougard wrote:This is a new era: vinyl has become a cult object and customers dont really care about the price. Those who do buy the mp3.l

Rubbish

You should see the people buying vinyl nowadays. They dont look like us old reggae vinyl buyers used to look.
Guillaume Bougard
guillaumebougard

Postby Ringo » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:08 am

guillaumebougard wrote:
Ringo wrote:

Rubbish

You should see the people buying vinyl nowadays. They dont look like us old reggae vinyl buyers used to look.

I'm not sure why they would want to. We didn't want to look like the generation before us.
Purple Radio - Every other Wednesday 6:30 - 8pm http://www.purple-radio.co.uk

Archive of old shows http://www.crytough.com/purple.html
Ringo

Postby TruthTown » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:44 am

Ringo wrote:
guillaumebougard wrote:

I'm not sure why they would want to. We didn't want to look like the generation before us.

Maybe they hadnt such an elitist way of looking records & music?
TruthTown

Postby guillaumebougard » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:13 pm

Probably, but the reality is what we a deal with, and we have to cater to those people who buy the records nowadays. It is SO hard to sell records in this time, you have no idea. And cutting prices doesnt help move more units, I'm afraid. My buddies who sell at lower prices dont sell more copies.

I am toying with the idea of crowdfunding a release in the future, and maybe we could then sell at a lower price, if we get enough $$$. I'm following music projects on kickstarter to see if people with some good name recognition like Bootsy Collins are raising their budget...

Any other suggestion on this topic of selling records would be appreciated, because I have to admit I am short on ideas...
Guillaume Bougard
guillaumebougard

Postby riddleithat » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:45 pm

Ranking Glasses wrote:I don't get it? Why would I want to buy or listen to someone singing over classic rhythms? I would much rather have the original. What could be better then Dennis Brown singing Revolution on the Revolution rhythm? Peckings do this a lot with Treasure Isle and Studio 1 rhythms and it makes no sense to me at all. Artists need to originate and not to imitate.

As much as I usually agree with Jah Bill on lots his posts.... we've never heard ear to ear on this issue. I feel as Ranking Glasses does when it comes to singing over classic riddims - especially when it comes to those Treasure Isle 'redos'... I mean some of those Treasure Isle tracks and their original vocals were sooooo perfectly matched, they should never be touched by anyone else.

Peter Dalton wrote:Ranking Glasses: Does this mean you don’t listen to Augustus Pablo’s versions of Studio One rhythms? Or most tunes from Channel One and Joe Gibbs? If you’re strict about only listening to original versions of rhythms, your listening must be severely restricted.

Speaking only on the Channel One tunes --- if I'm not mistaken, aren't those reworked riddims ?? I don't mind when a riddim gets reworked to where it's a bit different than the originals,,,, that's more acceptable to my ear than just slapping a new vocal over an original riddim.

The Alpheus LP 'From Creation', I think several of those tracks were old riddims reworked and I went for that...

But as much as I love Vivian Jones' music, I didn't even buy his '50th' CD :x --- hearing anything else besides 'Queen Majesty' over that Treasure Isle original, it just aint gonna happen over these speakers :P
riddleithat

Postby Ranking Glasses » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:53 pm

Peter Dalton wrote:Ranking Glasses: Does this mean you don’t listen to Augustus Pablo’s versions of Studio One rhythms? Or most tunes from Channel One and Joe Gibbs? If you’re strict about only listening to original versions of rhythms, your listening must be severely restricted.

I'm not talking about redoing rhythms as Joe Gibbs and Channel 1 did with great effect In the mid to late 70's. I'm talking about when the original rhythm is used for some wishy washy vocal decades later. It is possible to do this well and Sugar Minott was the master but Bitty McLean ain't no Sugar Minott!

As for my listening being restricted, you have no idea what I listen to or what I have in my collection but if you ever want a clash I'll give you a spanking with everything from Baba Brooks to Wes Brooks!

Riddleithat hit the nail on the head when he said that the original rhythm and vocals were perfectly matched. It can be equally as soul destroying the other way around as well. Does anyone remember that dreadful CD where they redid Bob Marley's voice over modern hip hop rhythms? :(
Ranking Glasses

Postby lankou » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:30 pm

"especially when it comes to those Treasure Isle 'redos'... I mean some of those Treasure Isle tracks and their original vocals were sooooo perfectly matched, they should never be touched by anyone else".
Incidentally, a good number of original riddims from TI used by Peckings and Bitty happen to be instrumentals by The Supersonics, so no big deal.
Coxsone re-used a fair number of his own riddims in later days of his career for younger artists and they worked just fine, and they didn't even need to be named Sugar Minott. As much as i like Sugar, i don't think that BMcL is an inferior singer in any way. No need to try to belittle him for any reason that eludes me.
lankou

Postby Ranking Glasses » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:47 pm

Johnny Osbourne was also great on the Studio 1 rhythms. I don't think that Bitty McLean is the strongest singer but he's ok. He lost a bit of credibility after those hits in the pop charts.
Ranking Glasses

Postby jb welda » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:40 pm

> those hits in the pop charts

dude, that is what all these artists, and I do mean ALL of them, strive for. There is not an artist on Jamaica who wouldnt give their left nut for a pop chart hit, and i mean that literally. Come on man, you're sounding like a love sick teenager over there! :lol:

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby guillaumebougard » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:39 am

Ranking Glasses wrote:Johnny Osbourne was also great on the Studio 1 rhythms. I don't think that Bitty McLean is the strongest singer but he's ok. He lost a bit of credibility after those hits in the pop charts.

Bitty started his career with pop charts more than 20 years ago, after producing and mixing one of UB40's most successful studio albums. So that means he started with no cred.?.!.? Get real man.
Guillaume Bougard
guillaumebougard

Postby Ranking Glasses » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:27 am

No you're right he's right up there with Sugar Minott and Johnny Osbourne. In fact when I think of all the great reggae artists I've listened to over the past 45 years, he's right up there with Bob Marley, Dennis Brown, Gregory Isaacs, Slim Smith and John Holt. In fact, he's so good that he transcends reggae and would give Stevie Wonder, Sam Cook and Elvis Presley a run for their money.

Everyone is going to rush out and buy his new album trampling over old people and cats to get to the record shop. It will beat all previous sales records knocking "Thriller" into second place.

I don't think that I'm the one who needs to get real. He's a pleasant singer with obvious high standards but hardly ground-breaking or earth shattering.
Last edited by Ranking Glasses on Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ranking Glasses

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion