Was Marley´s favorite singer D. Brown or Killer Miller?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Was Marley´s favorite singer D. Brown or Killer Miller?

Postby AT2JA » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:17 pm

I´ve always read that Bob loved D. Brown and gave him the "Crown Prince of Reggae" title. But the other day I read something which said that Jacob Miller was Bob´s favorite?

Can anyone shed some light on this most important of topics? :D
AT2JA

Re: Was Marley´s favorite singer D. Brown or Killer Miller?

Postby dan i dubdub » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:16 pm

He was also a big fan of Big Youth
bring love spread peace

dan i
dan i dubdub

Postby capullo » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:28 pm

He was also a big fan of Big Youth

in my ears, big youth is like the james brown of jamaica (vocal wise). from what i read, big youth was bob marley's favourite dj.
capullo

Postby underated » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:49 pm

From what i gather Bob was a very supportive & positive type of person , so he had a lot of kind words for artists.
Whoever was hanging around Hope Road at that time, from the Meditations , Israel Vibration to Freddie Mac, the list is long, marley said kind things about them, same thing if say he visited the UK, [Sons Of Jah & Aswad ].

Not to forget all those great R&B artists that visited JA & inspired his music, Marley had several fav singers.
Check out some of the Tuff Gong releases , there are some reggae artists on them , so Bob must have liked them.

Then we get to the bigger picture, Marley was inspired by lots of different types of music, Some reporters at that time were surprised that he was listening to rock music, they assumed he would only be listening to reggae .

So to get back on track, Marley had many fav singers / groups .
What was his opinion of Bunny Wailer as an artist & singer ?
What did he think of the Blackheart Man Album ?
underated

Postby lankou » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:20 am

At some point, he mentioned that Justin Hinds was one of his JA greats and believed he would be the next one to break big.
His predictions didn"t come true but JH certainly is one of the greatest, though all too often overlooked.
lankou

Postby Inyaki » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:21 pm

None as much as Curtis Mayfield.....
Inyaki

Postby Andy G » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:25 pm

unsurprisingly he was a fan of Aswad as well.
Andy G

Postby Ranking Glasses » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:46 pm

Bob Marley’s favourite singer was Bob Marley: “Hear me on the top 100, just like a mighty dread. Hear me on the R&B, want all my people to see.”
Ranking Glasses

Postby capullo » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:46 pm

Bob Marley’s favourite singer was Bob Marley: “Hear me on the top 100, just like a mighty dread. Hear me on the R&B, want all my people to see.”

from the book "junia reggae" by junior walker

after playing those songs a man came to me and gave me a pile of records and said: "bob send this for you". he gave me seven or eight records he was selling in his store mostly from associate labels and his friends. he would have heard from what i was playing that i had most of bob marley's and wailers records already, ones i had previously bought from selvin. later on the album "rastaman vibration" was released with the track "roots, rock reggae", it was years after his death i put together the fact of the lines that said "play i on the r&b, i want all my people to see, we bubbling on the top 100, just like a mighty dread". "rainbow country" already had "hey mr. music (junior walker), you sure sound good to me" so he re-worked it to include those words as if saying at last he got a chance to show his neighbours who were oblivious to the strides he was making and i came and gave them a preview by "playing him on the "r&b". in those days news wasn't as global as it is now, bob would do a show abroad and months later you might see an article wit a photo and that was it.
capullo

Postby Ranking Glasses » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:27 pm

I'm not sure it would possible for an artist to make it big without self confidence and self belief and the ability to blow their own trumpet. It also helps to have a larger than life personality which certainly was the case with Bob. I had the good fortune to see him when he was alive and he's one of the few people I've seen where people couldn't help looking at him. He had a real presence. It's a bit hard to explain but hope you know what I mean.
Ranking Glasses

Postby capullo » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:24 am

I'm not sure it would possible for an artist to make it big without self confidence and self belief and the ability to blow their own trumpet. It also helps to have a larger than life personality which certainly was the case with Bob. I had the good fortune to see him when he was alive and he's one of the few people I've seen where people couldn't help looking at him. He had a real presence. It's a bit hard to explain but hope you know what I mean.

sure, some people have this sense of mission. i can imagine that marley was an impressive appearance.
capullo

Return to General discussion