How many Augustus Pablo records do you REALLY need?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: How many Augustus Pablo records do you REALLY need?

Postby capullo » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:41 am

LOL!!! This could be the ultimate "vinyl snobbery" exchange I've ever read!!! Two vinyl-heads missing the cracks and pops of badly pressed Jamaican vinyls. Lovely

vinyl crackling was even added as sound element in many, many hip hop productions in the early nineties :D crazy world...
capullo

Postby Jack Johnson » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:39 am

heh true capullo loads of hip hop had crackle...but i think only a few tunes actually had it added on purpose - alot of it was incidental - ie the record they wanted to sample was scratched and they just did it anyway!
Jack Johnson

Postby jb welda » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:48 pm

they don't call it (c)rap for nothing

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby capullo » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:23 pm

no jb, it's the sound engineer spirit, same way as engineers would try out things in kingston 10 or 20 years earlier (whatever noise or odd sounds/frequencies that was)

When "Do The James" by Super Lover and Casanova came out it sampled the "Impeach The President" beat with added reverb to make it more powerful, and added static and clicks from an old record. That was most probably the first record to sample surface noise off a vinyl to make the beat sound more dirty...matter of fact people were returning that 12" to the stores at first cause they thought they'd been sold beat up copies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGywCQ-FbE8
http://deephousepage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186382
capullo

Postby jb welda » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:53 pm

sounds like the first Trojan LP I ever bought, looked beautiful, sounded like 20 year old uncared for 7" 45s (which of course it was sourced from).

Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five was as deep as I ever got into that (now so called) hip hop stuff. The Message was the **** back then as were a number of other cuts. Oh Afrikaa Baambaata too, a bit. NYC style.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby Mark T » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:45 am

capullo wrote:
LOL!!! This could be the ultimate "vinyl snobbery" exchange I've ever read!!! Two vinyl-heads missing the cracks and pops of badly pressed Jamaican vinyls. Lovely

:D Yes, I could totally see how it would sound that way! I guess it's really a matter of the context in which it was first heard for me. Buying those 12"s took a considerable amount of my meagre teenage resources and knowing they had come from Jamaica and this was how reggae was suppose to be just made them seem very special - it seems odd to hear them on clean CDs or MP3s etc because the Pablo sound doesn't seem congruent with the crystal clear technology if that makes sense. I'm sure if I throw my Only Roots copies around a bit and let the dog walk over them they will sound more like it!

Is Ital Dub a legitimate Pablo release or one that just got his name stuck on it? It always sounded a bit dodgy to my ears and then it's put out by Abraham who has a reputation for boot legs. (I know it came out on Trojan previously).
Mark T
Mark T

Postby StepDubStep » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:00 am

Mark T wrote:Is Ital Dub a legitimate Pablo release or one that just got his name stuck on it? It always sounded a bit dodgy to my ears and then it's put out by Abraham who has a reputation for boot legs. (I know it came out on Trojan previously).
Mark T

Well at least a couple a those tunes were released as 7"s most likely before the Trojan or Abraham release. Like "Barbwire Disaster" and "Shakedown" on Starapple 7". So my thoughts... yes, a genuine Pablo. And one of my favorites.
Me no skin teeth and me no play!
StepDubStep

Postby marko » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:13 am

ital dub came out on starapple in jamaica, tommy cowan prod
marko

Postby Inyaki » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:00 am

I don't consider Ital Dub a proper Pablo album , he was just a session musician on some tracks....fine mixes indeed.
I don't see surface noise as part of the experience either, that wasn't what the music makers intended. Give me mastertape quality anytime!
Inyaki

Postby algoriddim » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:41 am

I personally can not get enough Pablo, though like with most things reggae, I lost interest after the early 80s. His work with Clive Chin and King Tubby can't be beat though.

If you're interested, I did a four part (9 or 10 hours total) series featuring his work that is a good intro...

http://archive.org/details/Algoriddim20071012AugustusPabloPart1
http://archive.org/details/Algoriddim20071026AugustusPabloPart2
http://archive.org/details/Algoriddim20071109AugustusPabloPart3
http://archive.org/details/Algoriddim20070831HughMundell
algoriddim

Postby AT2JA » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:46 am

Back to the topic, albums like "Blowing with the Wind" , while OK, are hardly as essential as " Dubbing In A Africa" or "Meets King Tubby's....". Anyone else care to disagree? :D
AT2JA

Postby Inyaki » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:01 pm

I don't compare instrumentals to Dubs but certainly prefer Blowing With The Wind to Dubbing In A Africa (which I don't consider a true Pablo album).
Inyaki

Postby finbar » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:11 pm

Inyaki wrote:I don't compare instrumentals to Dubs but certainly prefer Blowing With The Wind to Dubbing In A Africa (which I don't consider a true Pablo album).

Agreed, IMO "Blowing In The Wind" is a great and underappreciated LP, he blends modern and more traditional sounds beautifully. The track with Johnny Moore guesting is stellar.
finbar

Postby AT2JA » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:54 pm

Please expand on your thoughts...I find "Dubbing In A Africa" simply more rootsy and memorable. Much of " Blowing..." seems to just come and go with few hooks or memorable moments, although the nyabinghi drum tunes are quite cool.

Maybe I just need more time with Mr. Pablo, next up is "Meets Mr. Bassie..." I'm interested to hear the board's take on that album. :D
AT2JA

Postby crimson flames » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:56 pm

Inyaki wrote:I don't compare instrumentals to Dubs but certainly prefer Blowing With The Wind to Dubbing In A Africa (which I don't consider a true Pablo album).

id be interested to see which albums you consider true Pablo albums Inyaki. Could you list them please?
crimson flames

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion