Bitty McLean - TAXI SESSIONS - new album

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Bitty McLean - TAXI SESSIONS - new album

Postby guillaumebougard » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:06 am

Bitty's new album, TAXI SESSIONS is available (180g vinyl, CD, and soon audiophile 44/24 digital files)

Check out the artwork. I'll soon post a megamix on YT

https://www.facebook.com/slyandrobbieofficial
guillaumebougard

Re: Bitty McLean - TAXI SESSIONS - new album

Postby KEEL » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:41 am

clips on DV site sounded nice.
Throw out your life line...
KEEL

Postby Reggie Love » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:01 am

Its a very good album. As I said on your other Bitty post, Guillaume, he put in a fantastic performance at the Jazz Cafe here in London last week. I was blown away by how good his voice is live - and he comes across as a humble and funny man too. No wonder Sly and Robbie and yourself enjoy working with him.
Reggie Love

Postby guillaumebougard » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:00 am

Reggie Love wrote:Its a very good album. As I said on your other Bitty post, Guillaume, he put in a fantastic performance at the Jazz Cafe here in London last week. I was blown away by how good his voice is live - and he comes across as a humble and funny man too. No wonder Sly and Robbie and yourself enjoy working with him.

He is a great guy to work with. Love him
here is a track from the album, on the Revolution riddim

https://soundcloud.com/taxi-records/ble ... -the-score
https://www.facebook.com/slyandrobbieofficial
guillaumebougard

Postby KEEL » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:17 pm

he's great on the Lee Thompson fu-manchu relick.
KEEL

Postby jb welda » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:53 pm

I am probably going to be the only one saying this but he sounds pretty forced on that revolution riddim. will buy the LP but I think its sounding like a square peg in a round hole if you know what I mean.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby StepDubStep » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:27 am

jb welda wrote:he sounds pretty forced on that revolution riddim... sounding like a square peg in a round hole if you know what I mean.

His voice is sounding sweet but I have to agree. Just doesn't fit.
From a youth reggae inna me bloodstream, now a man reggae inna me system! From a boy reggae was my first joy, now a man reggae still number one!
StepDubStep

Postby dj745 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:01 pm

When is the album getting released on vinyl? Saw DV had it listed on cd last week but no vinyl.
dj745

Postby jb welda » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:38 pm

its at ernie b in both formats right now so I would guess DV would have it soon if not already

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby Ranking Glasses » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:34 pm

I don't get it? Why would I want to buy or listen to someone singing over classic rhythms? I would much rather have the original. What could be better then Dennis Brown singing Revolution on the Revolution rhythm? Peckings do this a lot with Treasure Isle and Studio 1 rhythms and it makes no sense to me at all. Artists need to originate and not to imitate.
Ranking Glasses

Postby KEEL » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:07 pm

both LP and CD at DV but the vinyl has 2 tracks less no 'running over'.
KEEL

Postby jb welda » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:40 pm

there is also a 7" deluxe single at ernie b with tracks not on either the cd nor the lp.

Bitty McLean, Ansel Collins - Cornerstone / Bitty McLean, Ansel Collins - Single Barrel Taxi/Silent River

strange they didn't release the two cd bonus tracks on vinyl single.

edit: it does appear one of the bonus tracks got released on a 12" last year but probably different version:

Bitty McLean, Josey Wales, Sly & Robbie - Running Over, Nuh One A Dem (Extended Mix) / Bitty McLean, Sly & Robbie - It's Running Over (Vocal Mix); Bitty McLean, Sly & Robbie - No Love (Plead My Cause) Taxi/Silent River

to ranking glasses question, its a matter of taste I guess, I much prefer some of the older riddims than most of what I hear originated today. the problem for me is getting new lyrics to flow well with the riddim but I would much rather hear a studio one redo than some scryllix (or whatever that is) from the marley clan. at least its a proven riddim and as your example, now you have something new to play on revolution to go along with the d brown original (and the million others on the riddim starting practically the day after revolution was issued). but really no one but you can really answer that question; either you dig it or you don't. in this case sounds like you don't and that's your prerogative.

edit to add last minute thought: the thing is, it (in this case revolution) is a great riddim and it sounded great then and it sounds great now. I think the same of most of the treasure isle and studio 1 things peckings does. those classics just never seem to lose their appeal to me and actually bringing them back with different approaches and different songs has led me to appreciate them in a new light. but you also have to realize I totally flipped out over a couple of those sam cooke mashups over S1 riddims. I thought they were the best ever and a totally wonderful marriage while most of my friends thought they were trash. so it just goes to show I have a high tolerance to this sort of versioning.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby dj745 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:14 pm

jb welda wrote:there is also a 7" deluxe single at ernie b with tracks not on either the cd nor the lp.

Bitty McLean, Ansel Collins - Cornerstone / Bitty McLean, Ansel Collins - Single Barrel Taxi/Silent River

Saw this listed for £9 with a nice fancy picture sleeve etc and I like Bitty's voice but wouldn't pay £9 for a 7" single-prices getting a bit out of hand for me

deluxe single= deluxe prices!
dj745

Postby vasceri » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:25 pm

Jah Bill,

I know what you mean about those Sam Cooke / Studio One mashups (on the Studio ? label I believe).

I remember tracking down a couple for Roger Steffens as he loved them too. I think I have all the 7"s but not sure, same label I think had the Elvis Presley "Crying in the Chapel" mashup as well.

Be well,
eric v
"Lend Me the 16"
vasceri

Postby jb welda » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:01 pm

>deluxe single= deluxe prices!

indeed, and exactly why I added that descriptor, to imply "deluxe" in every way. now the funny thing remains while they are 9 pounds in the uk they are 10$ retail at ernie b which is probably closer to 6 pounds and yet they came all the way over the ocean (maybe I am wrong but I think they are UK pressings). maybe its that VAT thing over there that kills ya.

one love
jb
jb welda

Next

Return to General discussion