Do Rastafarians hold prejudice against...

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Do Rastafarians hold prejudice against...

Postby AT2JA » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:20 pm

...Italians? After what the dictator Mussolini did against Ethiopians with gas, etc? Sorry if provocative but I have been wondering....
AT2JA

Re: Do Rastafarians hold prejudice against...

Postby Rootsitup » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:32 pm

only pastafarians.... :)
Rootsitup

Postby Ranking Glasses » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:54 pm

I haven't seen or heard any prejudice against Italians (isn't Alberosie Italian?) but they don't like the Pope and Catholics in general very much.
Ranking Glasses

Postby johnnyB » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:22 pm

Bunny Wailer played in Italy for the first time in 2009 at Rotototom Sunsplash(a marvelous show!).He had till then refused to come to Italy due to what fascists did in Ethiopia but in that occasion he said it was time to bury the hatchet.Malevolent people said he did so because OF the money Rototom gave him just to discover he had given the whole amount to the victims of the earthquake in central Italy of the same year.
Hopefully rastafarians seem to understand that fascism and Italy are not synonyms.
...who feels it knows it...
johnnyB

Postby capullo » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:31 pm

bob marley was a big fan of germany and germany has its dark past too as everybody knows. tosh called italy shitaly but that was probably more of a funny word creation than really serious against italy i guesss.
capullo

Postby beenie bongo » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:03 pm

"fire pon Rome" is more about catholic church than Italians, but still.
beenie bongo

Postby capullo » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:19 pm

"fire pon Rome" is more about catholic church than Italians, but still.

and all those bibles spread in jamaica (apparantly country with most churches on the planet) were and probably still are king james bibles, provided by a country (england) that successfully stopped the catholic invasion and broke with rome way before the colonialist chapter in the caribbean was opened. isn't that a pure historical irony :lol:
capullo

Postby Anbessa » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:32 pm

johnnyB wrote:just to discover he had given the whole amount to the victims of the earthquake in central Italy of the same year.

Does this information come from serious sources ? Because I have to admit I find this extremly hard to believe...

Apart from that, I've never heard any rasta artist say a bad word about Italy. On the contrary, those that I know who played there loved it.
www.soulofanbessa.com
Anbessa

Postby johnnyB » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:26 pm

@ Anbessa: I was there and the Rototom staff gave the information from the main stage that Bunny had given a part of his fee to the Shashamene community and the rest to the victims of the terrible Earthquake which shook central Italy in April.You can find pieces of news on the net if you can read italian.
Why do you find it so hard to believe?
johnnyB

Postby Anbessa » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:28 pm

johnnyB wrote:@ Anbessa: I was there and the Rototom staff gave the information from the main stage that Bunny had given a part of his fee to the Shashamene community and the rest to the victims of the terrible Earthquake which shook central Italy in April.You can find pieces of news on the net if you can read italian.
Why do you find it so hard to believe?

OK, thanks a lot for your answer. I'll check the news, will be a good opportunity to train my italian !

Sorry, but as we are on a public forum, I don't think I can say here why I find this story so hard to believe. Let's simply say that my initial doubts have nothing to do with the Rototom, the Shashamane community, or the victims of L'Aquila...
www.soulofanbessa.com
Anbessa

Postby Inyaki » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:09 pm

I don't believe that either....''he had given the whole amount''....''part of the fee''......
Inyaki

Postby johnnyB » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:12 pm

@ Inyaki: Bunny Wailer gave away the WHOLE amount of his fee for his show at Rototom Sunsplash 2009. A PART of the WHOLE amount (two thirds if I remember well) went to Shashamene.The remaining PART of the WHOLE amount went to L'Aquila.
Don't know about the Shshamene part but the money meant for L'Aquila was put in the care of the Rototom Association which sponsored music related activities in that area to make life in the tents a little less painful.
I'm not a liar and I don't like to be considered like one.
johnnyB

Postby Inyaki » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:38 pm

I don't think or implied you are a 'liar'.
You believe them, but I just don't.
Inyaki

Postby johnnyB » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:17 pm

If you don't believe "them" maybe you'll believe the members of Dabadub band from L'Aquilawho had their brand new recording studio destroyed by the earthquake and received 10.000 euros from Rototom to rebuild it.That was the same money from Bunny Wailer's fee.
If you can read Italian here's the full story:
http://www.rototomsunsplash.com/press/i ... lfatto.pdf
If someone can prove things went in a different way please let us know.
johnnyB

Postby Anbessa » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:37 pm

Thanks a lot for the link JohnnyB.

It is indeed a lovely story, and I must admit I have no element against it, but I am sorry I still can't buy it... I might be totally wrong here, but I just can't fight against that feeling...

Hope you understand it's not at all against you, and I am very glad these people could rebuild there studio !

PS : Se un giorno ci incontriamo, potremo parlarne insieme...
www.soulofanbessa.com
Anbessa

Next

Return to General discussion