Ninjaman/Ninja Man

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Ninjaman/Ninja Man

Postby Peter Dalton » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:41 pm

Ninjaman doesn't seem to get mentioned as often as he should. I list below my favourite singles by the Original Gun Tooth, Front Tooth, Gun Pon Tooth, Don Gorgon (sorted according to label). I would love to see the titles other people rate by him, as I'm sure I've missed out a few gems:

Fulfilment, Digital-B, 1990
Last Of The Warning, Digital-B, 1990
Number One, Digital-B, 1990
Things A Gwan, Digital-B, 1990
Permit To Bury, Digital-B, 1991
Many More Miles, Digital-B, 1996
Old Picture Frame, Digital-B, 1996
A So Me Stay, Exterminator, 1990
The Last Of Flourgan, Exterminator, 1990
Me A Go Ride, Exterminator, 1992
Counteractionn, Father & Son, ?
Warning Yah Now, Father & Son, ?
More Reality, Jammy’s, 1987
Border Clash, Jammy’s, 1990
Exportation, Jammy’s, 1991
From Mi Hold Him, Jammy’s, 1991
Gun talk And Lip Service, Jammy’s, 1991
World Dance, Jammy’s, 1994
Living Unkind, Jammy’s, ?
Bring In The Gun, J.R. Productions, 1990
Pickney Sinting, J.R. Productions, 1992
Gun Bogle, Junjo & Volcano, 1992
Mi No Kin Teeth, Kangal, 1988
(with Courtney Melody) Protection, Killamanjaro, 1987
(with Bounty Killer) Boy Nuh Run, Kingston 11, 1994
Bad Publicity, Kingston 11, 1994
New Gun Fi Bus, Mr. Doo, 1989
My Weapon, Mr. Doo, 1990
Excuse Me, Mr. Doo, 1991
Mandela Come, Mr. Doo, 1991
Tell Me, Pickout, 1988
(with Flourgan) Ziggi Up, Pickout, 1989
We A Don, Penthouse, 1989
Reggae Sunsplash, Pickout, 1990
Run De Country, Pickout, 1991
Born Again, Pot of Gold, ?
Donnett (Jungle Mix), Steely & Clevie, 1990
Lick Out, Selekta, 1989
Hortical Don, Steely & Clevie, 1989
Murder Dem, Steely & Clevie, 1990
Donnett (Jungle Mix), Steely & Clevie, 1994
Send Threat To Me, Exterminator, 1988
Don Bad Man, Pickout, 1990
(with Assassin) Real Bad Man, Stone Love, 2000
(with Gregory Isaacs & Freddie McGregor) John Law, Anchor, 1988
The Return, Arrival, ?
The Pastor, Big Yard, ?Thunder Roll, Black Scorpio, 1995
Peter Dalton

Re: Ninjaman/Ninja Man

Postby BMC » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:09 pm

Ninja Man - Mad Again (Jammy$ - 2004) - Sleng Teng niceness.

Ninja Man - Shot A Talk (Gold Disc 12" - 1991)

Ninja Man - Back In Town (Don Corleon - 2006)
BMC

Postby flashman » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:11 pm

Not near my records at the moment, but these are all 89-91 or so I think, and mostly from lps

Powder Puff -Jammys ( not to be confused with the Xterminator one)
Assassinating -Jammys
Protection w/ Courtney Melody - Jaro
Gimme Pass - Pickout?
Powder No Man - Mr. Doo?
Nice Up the Lawn - Jammys
Ninja No Miser - Tachyon
Ninja - JR (Jr Reid prod.)
De Man Good - Act III

But best way to hear him is live. Clashing master. I wonder why Vybz resorted to violence when he clashed Ninja? Could it be because he lacks the freestyle skills? I don't know, just putting it out there...
I have a tape of his performance at the National Arena following his return from prison in New York, and a clash with Danny Dread that are both killer and that I really need to digitize before the tapes die.
flashman

Postby guillaumebougard » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:59 am

his recent releases are super wicked: Ninja Mi Ninja is easily the best dancehall tune this year
https://www.facebook.com/slyandrobbieofficial
guillaumebougard

Postby Peter Dalton » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:57 am

Thanks to everyone who has added to my Ninja Man knowledge. Yet more tunes to add to my wants list!
Peter Dalton

Postby Leo5 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:55 pm

Leo5

Postby Dubba » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:24 pm

Who is laughing with Sizzla when the late great Fatis was running things in the mid to late nineties.
Dubba

Postby Leo5 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:31 pm

some of my most memorable moments in JA were spent on a slightly scary ride or two around town with front teeth don gorgon. the man speaks in lyrics and i have never seen an artist turn so many heads. from the kids to the adults everyone knows desmond the legend.
Leo5

Postby jb welda » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:58 pm

I never figured out that blond or red wig business he busted out at sunsplash 1990 which was the only time I think I had seen him. I do like that look who's laughing track but most of the rest went right over my head like a stray bullet through Denham town.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby jb welda » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:02 am

but looking over those lists at the head of thread I do see some tunes I liked a lot, Murder Dem chiefly and Hortical Don I remember was big big big when I was there in 90.

so Leo5 you mean to tell me you rode around on the back of his motorcycle through Kingston? no f'in way I would do that. in a car is one thing but I can just imagine him careening around and being on the back of that? I would jump off at the first opportunity and take my chances with the massive. how is it you came to be doing that, anyhow? were you there doing business with him or as a journalist or as a friend or ?

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby flashman » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:58 am

Assassinating on the Warning You Now Jammys lp is still probably my favorite track by him and I never hear it mentioned and its not on YouTube. Though on the lp it's spelled "assinating".
He was in his prime then and that tune is just one of his best vocal performances on record. Wish I could link to it. Not sure if its on 7" or not.
flashman

Postby flashman » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:17 am

Also, did anyone ever try to copy that stuttering stream of consciousness style he had? I can't think of anyone. There was Ninja Ford but he never really touched that style as far as I remember. I think it's because it was so unique and original. No one really could do it. Normally new styles get copied all the time. It's always been like that from U Roy on. But Ninjaman remains the only one that can pull off that spontaneous halting rambling chat style.

Unless I'm wrong. I could be. but I think he's maybe the best but certainly the most unique DJ of all time.
Other DJs have their gimmicks. Ninja's gimmick was that he could rattle off mass amounts of lyrics off the top of his head in a unique off kilter flow
flashman

Postby kalcidis » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:57 am

One of Ninjaman's latest tunes, »Badman Law«, from two weeks ago is great. Some tough lyrics on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Doe46LQP-c
kalcidis

Postby Ranking Glasses » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:39 am

I first started listening to Ninjaman when he had popular hits like "Cover Me" with Tinga Stewart:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltfUPFS4cMw

I could be missing something but I really don't understand this thread? Ninja is undoubtedly talented but over the years I've heard him utter some of the most vile and violent lyrics on record, dubplate and live of almost any JA artist. I don't understand why some of the other contributors who obviously know "conscious" music are bigging him up? I think that lyrics which promote violence have added to the culture and attitude of violence in JA and in the wider diaspora which results in people being injured and killed often for no real reason.

Can no one else see this?
Ranking Glasses

Postby Reggie Love » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:13 pm

I agree that Ninja has made some great tracks, this new single being one and Reggae Sunsplash which I particularly love. But he also seems at times to have made the same record over and over again. Over again, over again, he made the same tune dem, over again.

Have seen him twice live. Once at Sumfest in JA (2002) when he was very entertaining and eccentric. At the time he just been bailed on a murder charge for allegedly killing a taxi driver and was promoting a country style song called why don't we surrender our guns.
The second time was in a small club in Harlesden at 4 am around 03. I heard about the show after hearing him on Choice Fm being 'interviewed' by Daddy Ernie - except Ernie couldn't get a word in edgeways. In the club I went up to Ninja, who was dressed in a white gown and white sunglasses and for some reason tapped him on the arm to say hello. He completely stiffened, then extended himself fully upright and turned very slowly to stare me out. He then went on to berate the poor selector inbetween performing half-heartedly over records for about 15 minutes. I heard from a good source that he did this at other venues on that trip charging about 3 grand a pop.

Certainly a 'character'.
Reggie Love

Next

Return to General discussion