Black Ark studio equipment

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: Black Ark studio equipment

Postby shadrach » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:20 pm

The Congos made a very nice LP in 2011 with Belgian musicians from Pura Vida called 'We Nah Give up'.
This LP was recorded partially in Belgium, partially in Jamaica and however Perry was never involved, it sounds as a perfect complement to 'the Heart of The Congos'...Anyone liking this album should definitely check out 'We Nah Give Up'!
shadrach

Postby Mick Sleeper » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:53 pm

underated wrote:It would be interesting if LSP was in one of those Black Ark inspired studio's , i wonder what he would say & record ? & when was the great one last behind a mixing desk ?

This has come to pass. Lee Perry recorded some tracks with a UK producer, Daniel Boyle, who did his best to create a Black Ark vibe and feel in his studio. The results are pretty good, and Scratch was back at the controls with Dan - not just phoning in his vocals like so many other recent collaborations.

@Jah Power - sorry your thread got diverted into a broader discussion of L$P's work - hope Nicholas' post answered your original question! 8)
Without music, life is an error. (Nietzsche)
Bass Culture: http://podcast.upsetter.net
Eternal Thunder: http://www.upsetter.net/scratch
Mick Sleeper

Postby Ola B » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:07 pm

kingj wrote:That video..and musical composing of that steve bakery composition...in my opinion is the best duplication of lee perrys sound ever...in fact that music, in my opinion...sounds better than any ( most any) wackies stuff...Never was a big fan of Wackies...Steve virtually nails that upsetter sound on the head!! bravo!!!

Couldn't disagree more! Its easy to overuse a mutron biphase and a space-echo and get those sonic textures. But listen to how tight the musicians play in Perrys production and compare, night & day imho.. As for wackies, nuff killers in his catalog w his unique sound, killer riddims, wicked vox and good mixes... Why compare to Perry??
Ola B

Postby iosumarti » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:04 am

What makes the sound of a studio?

IMO, equipment plays not a fundamental rol in the "building" of the sound; is most important the musicians: the social-economical-cultural context, that the equipment...

I consider myself a big fan of Arks sound, but I know that the way they lived, suffered, enjoyed, loved, thought... in Kingston in 70s, is not possible to reproduce.

But, when I see some of those Bakery videos, I can feel these good atmosphere of friends playing together, enjoying what they are doing, and of course, these arkeologycal sense of trying to reproduce something "magic"...
iosumarti

Postby underated » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:27 pm

Mick Sleeper wrote: Lee Perry recorded some tracks with a UK producer, Daniel Boyle, who did his best to create a Black Ark vibe and feel in his studio. The results are pretty good, and Scratch was back at the controls with Dan - not just phoning in his vocals like so many other recent collaborations.

Thanks for info,
must look into that project some time.

@ Jah Power,
yip as others state, search, search then do more searching through many threads on this board, there is much info about Black Ark gear.
Will take a few hours, it's worth it though :)
underated

Postby pinup » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:44 pm

underated wrote:I think he has been a live performer much longer than he was a producer. & yet fans still revel at his recordings from decades ago.

I think this may be because his live performances of late have been very ordinary, I saw him a couple of weeks ago and he was very underwhelming. Hopefully he can find his old magic if he ever gets behind the desk again, wouldn't want him to sully his legacy.
pinup

Postby Mick Sleeper » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:48 pm

pinup wrote:...wouldn't want him to sully his legacy.

I think that ship has already sailed! :lol:
Without music, life is an error. (Nietzsche)
Bass Culture: http://podcast.upsetter.net
Eternal Thunder: http://www.upsetter.net/scratch
Mick Sleeper

Postby pinup » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:14 am

Mick Sleeper wrote:
pinup wrote:...wouldn't want him to sully his legacy.

I think that ship has already sailed! :lol:

Ha perhaps I should have said I wouldn't want him to sully his legacy further
pinup

Postby Jah Power » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:56 pm

underated wrote:It would be interesting if LSP was in one of those Black Ark inspired studio's , i wonder what he would say & record ?
& when was the great one last behind a mixing desk ?

I think he has been a live performer much longer than he was a producer.
& yet fans still revel at his recordings from decades ago.

It would be great to hear it!
Jah Power

Postby algoriddim » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:15 am

Mick Sleeper wrote:If you're thinking about re-creating the Black Ark in your own studio, someone has beaten you to it. :wink:

Wow, that's awesome.
algoriddim

Postby kingj » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:38 pm

[

Couldn't disagree more! Its easy to overuse a mutron biphase and a space-echo and get those sonic textures. But listen to how tight the musicians play in Perrys production and compare, night & day imho.. As for wackies, nuff killers in his catalog w his unique sound, killer riddims, wicked vox and good mixes... Why compare to Perry??[/quote]

You can disagree all you like, my point is he nails closely to that sound...no ones gonna play like the upsetters played, I feel he duped a sound very nicely with just enough of his own musicianship to make it his own. You like wackies, Im not a fan, not that I hate it, but hows this...I feel it doesn't carry a real Jamaican vibe at all.... so I guess we are even!!
I'd listen to, buy, whatever..one of steves productions over ANYTHING coming out of JA today.
kingj

Previous

Return to General discussion