Free up the Obeah man

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: Free up the Obeah man

Postby Varese » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:42 am

Ranking Glasses wrote:I was merely recounting a story I heard first hand. It's up to you to decide if it's believable or not.

I'm a big fan of good trolling and this story had a great mix of religion, sexism, violence and cruelty to animals; enough to get a rather dull thread going nicely.. It's also clearly bollocks, but apparently pointing this out makes me arrogant and ignorant. I guess some people also believe in Father Christmas, or that a short, ineffective third-world dictator murdered by Marxist rebels in the late 70s is actually the living God. Takes all sorts, I guess!

Ranking Glasses wrote:I am slightly offended at being compared to Zoki because he was obviously a few grapes short of a bunch.

No diss intended. Fwiw, he's a good writer according to my Serbian speaking friends. Like so many people that spend too much time on the computer he does tend to err towards the surreal and argumentative :)
Varese

Postby capullo » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:04 pm

And there is NO "pure" catholiscism in Cuba - it's all mixed with Santeria

yes roman, of course it's all mixed up nowadays - syncretism has always been there all over the world - it's just very obvious in caribbean and other american countries. what i meant is that when first the spanish colonialists brought african people they never could stop them from being "heathen" - it rather went the other way around. santeria (whatever yoruba/lucumi, regla de palo, regla de ocha etc.) is not simply an old african religion but rather a patchwork and creole culture of the americas but of course rooted in old african religions.

I slightly disagree. It's different but not completely different. Santeros are usually friendly and non-violent. The only thing they want from you is your dollars and pounds ) but they are definitely NOT the ones who rob/steal from tourists )))

you are referring to some greedy babalu's rather than santeros (santero is just a follower of the religion). but what i meant is something elese. in the western world we tend to believe that all "voodoo" equals poking needles in a puppet and all kind of rituals just to hurt somebody and doing evil and that is simply not the case. evil "brujeria" or "black" magic exists all over the world - no matter one believes in it or what religion it might be.
capullo

Postby Roman » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:50 pm

in the western world we tend to believe that all "voodoo" equals poking needles in a puppet and all kind of rituals just to hurt somebody and doing evil and that is simply not the case

U're right. Totally agree.
Roman

Postby Roman » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:08 pm

you are referring to some greedy babalu's rather than santeros

I wouldn't call them greedy - they just try to make their living.
Roman

Postby jb welda » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:01 am

not to digress but calling someone like zoki "a few grapes short of a bunch" is a statement that reveals a deep ignorance of zoki's works in real life, much more so than it paints an accurate picture of its target. just so you know. you might want to do some research before sticking your foot in that trap again.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby Mark T » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:21 am

Hang on a second Varese, are you saying that there's no Father Christmas? Come on mate, there are somethings that shouldn't be said on the internet!

I wouldn't know what to search for to find Zoki on the web. I always liked him and we traded stuff few times.
Mark T
Mark T

Postby capullo » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:13 pm

I wouldn't call them greedy - they just try to make their living.

yes, for sure. they all have to make a living on this island too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScaQts1Q41c
capullo

Postby Ranking Glasses » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:15 pm

JB, over the years I've noticed that you're unable to reason without attacking someone. Your bossom buddy openly advocated rape on this board so nice to know that you understand him.
Ranking Glasses

Postby Roman » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:47 pm

yes, for sure. they all have to make a living on this island too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScaQts1Q41c

Very interesting sound. Never heard anything like that before
Roman

Postby Roman » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:05 pm

Your bossom buddy openly advocated rape on this board so nice to know that you understand him.

I always thought it was GG Allin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWgpvKPk12o
Roman

Postby jb welda » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:36 pm

>JB, over the years I've noticed that you're unable to reason without attacking someone. Your bossom buddy openly
>advocated rape on this board so nice to know that you understand him

over the years you have noticed that, eh? would it be an attack to point out that you have only been here for a bit over one year? and lets not forget who attacked who.

why don't you show me exactly what you twisted around to mean he "advocated rape", much like you pretty much twist around everything as evidenced by that last phrase?

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby Ranking Glasses » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:56 am

JB, I was on the Board as Ray and you were Jah Bill. You said that Bunny Wailer gave you that name. I left the Board because of Zoki's comments about rape. There was also another chap whose name eludes me who went nuts on the Board and filled several pages with ZZZZZZZZZ.
Ranking Glasses

Postby jb welda » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:21 pm

yes I recall that ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ stuff but if zoki was "advocating" rape then he was doing so in a satirical fashion, which maybe the more PC amongst us cannot handle. the man has made a name for himself as a freedom fighter in Serbia and as a champion of the exact opposite of condoning rape. he is not some clown to be taken lightly. that I know for a fact.

ps: I was and still am jah bill but I dropped the name to be more secular as it has increasingly occurred to me over the years that I cannot claim to be rastafari and live the life I live. I am still trying but never quite achieve what I believe needs to be to claim a name like "jah", and I take such matters seriously most of the time. you will not hear me saying an unkind word toward HIM, just for instance. not that it matters, just thought you might like to hear an explanation for the change.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby capullo » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:34 pm

Very interesting sound. Never heard anything like that before

asimismo loco :D

this tune was very popular in new york back in the 70's

Kool Herc played this FIRST.There's no question about It.Flash used to try and Follow 'Herc' around and try to buy the same records Herc purchased;or stand behind the ropes and tippy toe to see the label or record cover to what was on the turntable."Marley Marl was The a master tippy toer.The only brother that did'nt bite records was Bambaataa (2nd to Kool D.J. Herc)They are very good friends to this day because of that Fact...'No Biting Allowed."Come wit' your own style
capullo

Postby Ranking Glasses » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:33 pm

JB, I guess I just don't like humour about rape or other subjects like disability. No need to explain I wasn't judging you. I know how difficult faith can be especially when it collides with reality.

Has anyone come across the American version of obeah called roots? I once wanted to end an engagement with a girl from the States and she used roots to keep me. She put something slimy on my toothbrush but luckily I noticed before I used it.
Ranking Glasses

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion