Scientist "Heavy Metal Dub" CD reissue question

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Scientist "Heavy Metal Dub" CD reissue question

Postby chuckasaurusrex » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:15 pm

Ernie B and Amazon show different CD versions of this album:

http://www.ebreggae.com/Reggae/CD/24785 ... adics.html

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B6 ... AE2NJY5VDD

The Amazon version (at least the 2005 one - they also have a listing for a 2012 one but without further detail) is evidently on the dreaded Clocktower / Abraham label. But while the Ernie B description also refers to Clocktower, the pictures shows "GRCD 16" to be written on the back cover (which I presume means it was on Greensleeves).

My question at any rate is whether the GRCD 16 version is worth searching out, whether for better artwork and/or better sound quality. Would the 2012 version referred to on Amazon be the Greensleeves reissue?
chuckasaurusrex

Re: Scientist "Heavy Metal Dub" CD reissue question

Postby jb welda » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:43 pm

not sure where you get the idea that greensleeves released this album on vinyl or on cd because as far as I know it has never. has always been a clocktower, then an Abrahams release, the latter after Abrahams took over the clocktower label. I could not see the amazon one you were referring to but the ernie b one is the one that has always been around, I think I first bought it in the late 80s when CDs were a newish thing still. my cd was mastered from an LP sounds like but sounds decent and certainly the material is pretty top shelf. but only release I have ever seen has been clocktower. can you clarify why you think GS released it other than that GS sounding catalog number?

it does appear clocktower changed the cover art but only in that on my old copy the art is reduced and the title is "heavy metal attack" whereas even on the artwork on mine it says "heavy metal dub", and the back features the Abraham logo prominently, I think its just Abrahams up to its usual muddying the waters and covering its tracks.

edit to add: oh I see the amazon one now, looks exactly like the one I have in my hand. note "heavy metal attack". but I do not see where you see a 2012 version there...still pretty positive no GS release now or ever.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby chuckasaurusrex » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:10 am

Yeah, I hear you ... I thought (and hoped) that there might be a Greensleeves connection on account of the "GRCD" reference, and also because somebdy created a presumably erroneous Discogs entry for purported Greensleeves version. Looking now at my actual Greensleeves CDs I see that their prefix is in fact "GRELCD", so I agree: likely more muddying by Abraham.

The other Amazon page is here - my guess it it's the same CD as shown in the Ernie B listing:

http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Metal-With- ... cd_title_1

Thanks JB,

Chuckasaurusrex
chuckasaurusrex

Postby Walker » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:52 am

Not seen this album before - anyone know where I can find the track listed as Having Fun With The Klingons at http://www.ebreggae.com/Reggae/CD/24785 ... adics.html - there's a sound sample to listen to.

I think I may have it, but can't place it - is it a dub of a Gregory track?

Walker
Walker

Postby kalcidis » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:19 pm

It's a Linval production and more specifically the rhythm for these songs:
Barrington Levy - Don't Give Up
Meditations - Carpenter Rebuilt
Eek-A-Mouse - Nah Make Mi Girl Go

Probably more cuts to it but these are the only I know of it. It's such a nice rhythm. Never knew there was a dub to it. Lovely lovely Linval.
kalcidis

Postby Walker » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:53 pm

That's great Kalcidis - i have the Meditations 12", maybe one of the others.
cheers

W
Walker

Postby kalcidis » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:22 pm

Never seen the Meditations on 12". What label is it on? Thompson Sounds? I only know the songs from the LP's they feature one. The Barrington and the Meditations are both very nice cuts. The Eek-A-Mouse I'm not as fond of.
kalcidis

Postby j j » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:32 pm

I have it on the "Jackal" label Kal with lee van clef slightly diff mix from lp iirc.

j j
j j

Postby kalcidis » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:51 pm

Thanks for the info, j j. Would be interesting to hear Lee Van on the rhythm. Always an enjoyable deejay to hear.
kalcidis

Postby Billy_Boom » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:54 pm

Nice, I never realized there are so many cuts on the "Klingon" rhythm. Linval himself has a vocal on the rhythm with "Things Couldn't be the Same". There are two more dubs found on Scientist Encounters Pac Man: "Prince's Wrath" and "The Dark Secret of the Box".

I'm listening to Heavy Metal Dub now and it's better than I remember. It's a pretty good set although probably not in Scientist's top ten. The contortionist space gladiator on the cover is magnificent. His torso and lower half seem to be joined internally with a rubber band à la G.I. Joe.

Billy_Boom

Return to General discussion