Stephen T's Funky People Show Ken Parker Special

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Stephen T's Funky People Show Ken Parker Special

Postby southlondonstephen » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:22 pm

Featuring the timeless veteran reggae and gospel singer in interview and a selection of his recordings from 1967- 2013 I will celebrate one of my favourite singers.

Join us on www.purple-radio.co.uk Tuesday 13th August at 6-8pm

https://www.facebook.com/events/154680018058068/

From wikipedia:

Ken Parker (born c.1948, Darliston, Westmoreland Parish, Jamaica) is a Jamaican musician who first recorded in the 1960s.

Biography:

Like many of Jamaica's singers of the era, Parker began by singing in church, where his father was a preacher. He formed a group called the Blues Benders in the mid-1960s, and their first recording was "Honeymoon by the Sea". The group arranged to audition for Coxsone Dodd, but due to a misunderstanding, Parker was the only member to turn up, so he auditioned as a soloist, impressing Dodd sufficiently to launch his solo career.[1] While at Studio One, he recorded singles such as "Choking Kind", "Run Come", and "My Whole World is Falling Down", and an album, Keep Your Eyes on Jesus, followed in 1968.[1] He moved on to work with Duke Reid, who produced hits including "Jimmy Brown", "Help Me Make it Through the Night", and "Kiss an Angel Good Morning".[1] His popularity continued to grow and he recorded for other producers including Bunny Lee ("Guilty"), Rupie Edwards ("Talk About Love"), Byron Lee ("Will the Circle be Unbroken"), Lloyd Charmers ("Queen Majesty"), and Joe Gibbs ("Only yesterday").[1] By 1972, however, Parker had become disillusioned with the recording industry and ceased recording, relocating to England in 1973 after spending two years in New York City. He continued to perform occasionally but did not return to recording until the early 1980s, setting up his own record label and production company, releasing Gospel records. He later moved to Florida.

Discography:

Keep Your Eyes on Jesus (1968) Studio One/Tabernacle
Jimmy Brown (1974) Trojan
Here Comes Ken Parker (1974)
A Touch of Inspiration (1984) Pisces
I Shall Not Be Moved (1984) Pisces
Jesus on the Main Line (1985) Pisces
The Key (????) Body Music
Listen to my A Scorcha from Stephen T Reggae show on Wednesdays 6.00-8.00 on www.purple-radio.co.uk and for rare soul check Sunday Soul Soup 12-2pm

www.mixcloud.com/stephent/
southlondonstephen

Re: Stephen T's Funky People Show Ken Parker Special

Postby lankou » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:27 am

Looking forward to that one, really!
Unfortunately, i may not have access to the web during that week. Will there be any other way to cacth up with your show?
Thanks.
lankou

Postby southlondonstephen » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:54 pm

yes mate. all my shows are at http://www.mixcloud.com/stephent and download links are there as well- cheers
Listen to my A Scorcha from Stephen T Reggae show on Wednesdays 6.00-8.00 on www.purple-radio.co.uk and for rare soul check Sunday Soul Soup 12-2pm

southlondonstephen

Postby southlondonstephen » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:40 pm

Lankou I've changed the time on this to start at 5pm as it had to be 3 hours- so much music plus the interview is about an hour. I hope you enjoy it. cheers

southlondonstephen

Postby southlondonstephen » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:45 pm

ok this is happening now- chat to Ken on the shoutbox! www.purple-radio.co.uk

southlondonstephen

Postby Ringo » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:37 pm

Great show from Stephen. Ken came across as a lovely chap and a true legend. Worth a download this one folks.
Purple Radio - Every other Wednesday 6:30 - 8pm http://www.purple-radio.co.uk

Archive of old shows http://www.crytough.com/purple.html
Ringo

Postby southlondonstephen » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:17 pm

Ringo wrote:Great show from Stephen. Ken came across as a lovely chap and a true legend. Worth a download this one folks.

Thanks for joining us mate- glad you liked it. Yes Ken is a great guy

southlondonstephen

Postby southlondonstephen » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:53 am

Am very pleased to say that Ken told me today on the phone that he really enjoyed the show I did. You can check this three hour history show here- http://www.purple-radio.co.uk/forum/vie ... &start=225

southlondonstephen

Postby southlondonstephen » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:37 am

If you've enjoyed my shows (see www.mixcloud.com/stephent) you will enjoy at least some of the marathon show I'm doing this Saturday- playing my favourite records of all time!

Stephen T's All Time Top 100 Show on www.purple-radio.co.uk This Saturday 17th August 12-6pm

Roughly planned out like this:

12-1pm Reggae (25)
1-2pm Hip Hop (24)
2-2.30 Jazz and oldies (14)
2.30- 3.30 Soul (23)
3.30- 5.00 Funk, Disco and Rare grooves (28)
more if needed to round it to the hour (if going up to 6) House and 80s pop (4)

Total 5 hours- 115 tunes. Let's see how it goes in reality! I may be able to play 100 in 5 hours, or else 115 in 6 for sure!

This will be a hell of a show but most fun if friends pop in and out for it!

Spread the word here- https://www.facebook.com/events/495362720549354/

southlondonstephen

Return to General discussion