Free up the Obeah man

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Free up the Obeah man

Postby John Eden » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:00 am

There was a short piece on BBC Radio 4's "Today Programme" this moring about current suggestions in JA that Obeah be legalised.

It included some government ministers who were non-commital and some churchical god-botherers who were unsurprisingly against.

And Edward Seaga who was quite sanguine about it. His position was that obeah is a "folkloric practise" which was never going to die out...

It should be on Iplayer if people are interested.
John Eden

Re: Free up the Obeah man

Postby Ranking Glasses » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:30 am

A family friend, Colin, was married for several years but met a younger woman and wanted his wife out of the house so he could move his new girlfriend in. He consulted an obeah man friend of his who told him to get the head of a black cat and a pair of his wife's knickers and to place them carefully under their bed which he did.

That evening when his wife came from work she reached the front gate but stopped outside. She tried with all her might to come through the gate but something powerful was stopping her. She left petrified never to return to the house. Colin and his girlfriend still live there to this day.
Ranking Glasses

Postby nitz in dub » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:39 pm

Burn Fiyah pon a heathen. Woe be onto them.....
nitz in dub

Postby Ranking Glasses » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:22 pm

Ranking Glasses

Postby Mark T » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:32 pm

"That evening when his wife came from work she reached the front gate but stopped outside. She tried with all her might to come through the gate but something powerful was stopping her."
Good sense was stopping her I imagine....
Mark T
Mark T

Postby John Eden » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:26 pm

Yeah, sounds like her man was a right git.
John Eden

Postby underated » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:43 pm

Ranking Glasses wrote: He consulted an obeah man friend of his who told him to get the head of a black cat

Did he buy the cat head in a local market ?
Was it a stray cat ?
A neighbours ?

All that foolishness sounds very satanic & evil .
underated

Postby John Eden » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:17 am

Also, even if you actually did that, why would you tell your mates about it?
John Eden

Postby Ranking Glasses » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:48 am

All I can say to this one is watch out Yellowman!:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7518049.stm

But who is to say that one belief system is credible while another is backwards superstition?
Ranking Glasses

Postby Varese » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:23 am

Ranking Glasses wrote:But who is to say that one belief system is credible while another is backwards superstition?

Surely by definition all belief systems are credible; credible means believable, and an unbelievable belief system is a contradiction in terms. I think you might be confusing belief with faith, a common problem.

Seriously though, your cat's head story is brilliant- you're either the greatest troll we've had on the board since Zoki (sorry Roman, but you're just too scattergun in your approach) or you're the most gullible person since Gul Gulliver swapped his cow for magic beans...

Speaking of which, I've got an amazing business opportunity in bean futures if you're interested ;)
Varese

Postby Ranking Glasses » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:17 pm

I was merely recounting a story I heard first hand. It's up to you to decide if it's believable or not.

I heard that some of my ancestors in Jamaica used to have a small water-filled trench outside their front doors. The reason was that it would stop evil spirits entering their houses. Going back further still to the time of slavery, has anyone else heard the stories of enslaved obeah men vanishing even when they were chained up ? The slave traders were totally mystified until some easily bought slaves revealed that if the obeah men were given salt it would inhibit their disappearances.

By the way, I was on this board when Zoki was but under the name of Ray. I am slightly offended at being compared to Zoki because he was obviously a few grapes short of a bunch.
Ranking Glasses

Postby Mark T » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:23 pm

To be fair I think there are many things that happen in our world that cannot be accounted for in purely materialistic/rationalistic terms - stuff that we call supernatural for want of a better term.
My point was more that if a man is willing to decapitate a cat (and I'm assuming cat's heads aren't readily available at the local Obeah store) rather than deal with the issue like a responsible adult, then he is best avoided altogether. It's just a terrible thing to do.

FWIW Zoki wasn't short of a load, he just liked to wind people up and didn't know when to stop.
Mark T
Mark T

Postby mark b » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:10 pm

Last edited by mark b on Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mark b

Postby Ranking Glasses » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:42 pm

Did I mention that Colin also cut off his best friend's nose? Colin was having a house party and his friend came into the kitchen where Colin was with a bit too much to say for himself and rather loudly at that. Colin was standing next to the kitchen knives and used one of them to give his mate a nose job. The funny thing is that they're still friends.
Ranking Glasses

Postby John Eden » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:06 pm

Ranking Glasses wrote:Did I mention that Colin also cut off his best friend's nose?

How does he smell?
John Eden

Next

Return to General discussion