(OT) Mini Microscope

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

(OT) Mini Microscope

Postby ephteeay » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:22 am

I recently bought one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/60X-Mini-Magn ... 4853c6b321

You can also find them cheaper on auction sometimes (99p including shipping!)...or direct from China / Hong Kong - Probably not quite 60x however it magnifies well & clear. It's great for checking your stylus condition (wear & dirt), seeing your record grooves a little bigger, groove damage, scratches, etc.. The object has to be very close to the lens to be in focus, so don't expect to be able to do too much work between the object and lens while viewing! It's also 'fun' to see a million other things around the house.. fabric, plants, printed things, currency, stamps, dust, foam etc.. It comes with a case (iPhone4 compatible) so if you have one (I don't) you can attach the microscope to the case & take photos from your phone..

Here's a pic of 7" grooves from my phone through the lens (a little difficult to center, focus & take a photo without moving..) anyway you'll get the idea of the magnification level...
ephteeay

Re: (OT) Mini Microscope

Postby Ras Berry » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:37 pm

I used to have a mini telescope when I was a kid - about the size of a pen. I had great fun spying on the neighbours

You looked at your other 7" with it yet?

8)
Ras Berry

Postby ephteeay » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:19 pm

The answer is in the 3rd line. I also have a sore neck.
ephteeay

Postby edgar » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:48 pm

very nice but I would go for a jewelers loupe (a few tenners) because they have optical glass and this is most likely window glass. And you won't see the distortion as on your photo (around the edges)

however they are not iphone compatible :P
thank you putting this on here- best reggae track ever, apart from most bob marley tracks
edgar

Postby ephteeay » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:53 am

Thanks for the info, although this cheap one is sufficient for what I need it for..
ephteeay

Return to General discussion