Best I ROY album

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Best I ROY album

Postby AT2JA » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:40 pm

What would you say is his best?
AT2JA

Re: Best I ROY album

Postby loyaljester » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:28 pm

Several good ones to choose from but Musical Shark Attack and The General are two solid favourites here.
loyaljester

Postby King Timmy » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:16 am

Favourite ones are Hotter Yatta and Presenting I-Roy
King Timmy

Postby j j » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:40 am

Hotter Yatta goes for crazy money :shock: I've always liked Heart Of A Lion.

j j
j j

Postby Reggie Love » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:54 am

Don't Check me with me no lightweight stuff on blood and fire is incredible from start to finish.
Reggie Love

Postby kalcidis » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:12 am

My personal favourites are Presenting I-Roy and Musical Shark Attack. I also rate Truth & Rights highly. Does Cancer count? :) It feels more like a Tommy McCook and Deadly Headly LP than I-Roy though.

Interesting to see the General mentioned. I bought the album a couple of years ago and I've never managed to get through the first side of it even. The dub album included is very nice though.
kalcidis

Postby Peter Dalton » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:32 pm

You can't go far wrong with PRESENTING (Gussie/Trojan) and TRUTH AND RIGHTS (Grounation/Micron, while the Blood & Fire set is a wonderful compilation of his singles.
Peter Dalton

Postby David » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:39 pm

World On Fire is a great album too. I actually prefer side 2 of most I Roy albums, with the exception of Presenting, where the first tunes are the best

My number one DJ by the way!
Last edited by David on Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David

Postby loyaljester » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:51 pm

Well, I must admit I haven't listened through the General album for quite some time. It does include the excellent Fire In A Wire (one of my favourite I-Roy tunes) and comes with a nice dub album but perhaps the whole vocal LP is not all that good... guess I should check it again before recommending anyone to buy it.
loyaljester

Postby Mark T » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:52 pm

I'm not a huge I Roy fan but recently gave the B&F set a number of plays as I had the CD in the car - it's hard to imagine that you can beat that set. As noted, it is good from beginning to end.
Mark T
Mark T

Postby RB » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:08 pm

MUSICAL SHARK ATTACK by miles and miles. i love love love I Roy, but he never went over a harder set of riddims for an LP than Musical Shark Attack...all his other LP's have at least 1 if not a couple/few good cuts.
RB

Postby Chaz » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:03 pm

"Hell & Sorrow" is his heaviest for me.

Wasn't there some discussion a while back about how to make the two separate mono tracks on "Musical Shark Attack" into one track on a CDR? There's a couple albums I'd like to do that with.
Chaz

Postby mghifi » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:36 pm

My copy of Musical Shark Attack is mono. I think it's an original pressing.
mghifi

Postby Chaz » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:40 pm

I think all copies of MSA are mono. What I meant was making a recording of the album so that instead of having the vocal from one speaker and the music from the other, you end up with them combined.
Chaz

Postby jb welda » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:23 pm

you guys are confusing the hell out of me. if a record is MONO, that means it has the identical source in each channel. a music/vocal combination with one (music or vocal) in one channel and the other in the other channel is not mono. if they were mixed together into one track and put into both channels that would be mono. as it is it is sometimes referred to as 2 track (sometimes referred to as "split channel" I think).

anyway I don't have the I roy album at hand so I cannot check if its mono or 2 track, but if it is 2 track then that to me represents either some clever packaging or some really cheap junk. the former because you can use the riddims from the music track without them being polluted with the vocals, but the latter because it means the producer/engineer didn't even bother to mix the two tracks just stuck them on the record and said that's it.

I cant bear to listen to 2 track stuff usually, I have to push the Mono button and let the gear do some work. its just too isolated a source to enjoy properly esp if your system is set up with some separation. there was a Trojan marley set, soul rebel maybe it was, that I think steve barrow put together, and it suffered from this problem although I think it was touted as a "feature" not a "bug". perhaps the original release was like that and that was the point to it.

>how to make the two separate mono tracks on "Musical Shark Attack" into one track on a CDR?

one way is just to do it on a sound editor on the computer before burning the cd. but you are letting the software do your mix for you which can turn out good or not so good. another way would be to run the 2 track into your mixer or even a preamp with a MONO switch and use the outputs that go to the amplifier (in other words the ones that contain any changes made by the board from the original recording such as increasing bass, treble, or in this case, the mix itself) to feed into the computer with the cd burner.

one love
jb
jb welda

Next

Return to General discussion