Meet Festus Coxsone

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Meet Festus Coxsone

Postby greenisland » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:13 am

Tuesday 30th July 6pm-8pm BST

www.purple-radio.co.uk

Stephen T & Mr Swing Easy meet

The selectors' selector

FESTUS COXSONE

Tune in, if yu ranking.

T.
Attachments
festus.jpg
festus.jpg (92.84 KiB) Viewed 2462 times
greenisland

Re: Meet Festus Coxsone

Postby kalcidis » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:04 am

Looking forward to this! We were going to have Festus do a set here in Stockholm not long ago but unfortunately the gig was cancelled. Only seen Coxsone Outernational once but Festus wasn't selecting that session so I still need to catch him in a dance some time.
kalcidis

Postby j j » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:29 am

love that droopy joint in the background :D
j j

Postby greenisland » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:23 pm

... it belongs to a very youthful looking Blacka Dread.T.
greenisland

Postby jb welda » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:54 pm

7/8ths tobacco is my guess. it came as a real disillusionment when I realized all those big spliffs I saw in UK artist mouths were basically placebo and if you gave them a spliff of high grade they really couldn't take it and most would go on about how it was laced with coke, not natural weed, or something funny like that.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby capullo » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:00 pm

well jb, don't know about the coke thing but keep in mind that europe is very close to morocco and the good moroccan hash has always been mixed with tabacco as far as i can remember - same thing with weed. that's how we do it in europe i guess.
capullo

Postby Living Bate » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:22 am

I know plenty of older heads don't get on with that crazy weed . . . Many a dance ive been to where the general aroma is bush weed
Living Bate

Postby Herbie » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:13 am

JB, plenty of us keep it ital and burn ganja alone over here :lol:

Always worth bearing in mind that over 100,000 people DIE every year through 'smoking related diseases' in the UK.

Tony Rebel has the last word on this 'Poison & Medicine' mix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjooMQvYbcI

Living Bate, have to echo your comments re: 'crazy weed'. There have been ncredible changes in the availability, potency and public experience of cannabis in the last 20 years here in the UK, with the high grade skunk taking over, and it being - for many younger heads - their only experience of cannabis!

I often wonder how the youth of today perceive the 70's images of dreads with huge ital spliffs and chalices packed with sensei... knowing that a tiny fraction of that amount of the latest high grade would blow their brains out??

Anyway, topic has wandered... always interesting to hear Festus select and Coxsone stories.
Herbie

Postby jb welda » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:22 pm

weed don't blow any brains out no matter if its "high grade skunk" or not. I was amused and frankly appalled at that common thought over there in the uk especially after growing it for many years now. I actually brought some over with me last time and was really surprised how many people refused it like it was some kind of poison. I grew it, I know what went into it, and I know how strong it is. those people just struck me as ultra lightweight poseurs at least when they got the 90% tobacco (poison) spliff hanging from their mouths. but they look bad enuff that's for true. but you gotta know some of me bredren there, jah reel and peter levi for two, were well happy to smoke my herbs with me!

back to festus I have a recording of someone interviewing him prior to him returning to JA at some point, maybe it was Manassa, and playing his favorite dubplates. actually his favorite dubplates were all too worn to play so they played his favorite of the not-so-favorite-because-they-haven't-worn-to-the-base-metal dubplates. very interesting show for someone who never gets to catch these sort of sessions in person.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby j j » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:47 pm

I believe that Festus was on Rodigans show JB.

j j
j j

Postby Living Bate » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:07 pm

JB.....its not about posing or looking 'bad enuff'....its a matter of preference.....or possibly of making an expense stretch......not everyone can live the perfectly ital lifestyle you live....

and yes, the Festus favourite dubs was with Rodigan.....
Living Bate

Postby jb welda » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:11 am

>perfectly ital lifestyle you live....

ha ha ha ha! not even close i'm afraid! :lol:

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby greenisland » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:41 pm

More Festus
Attachments
festus2.jpg
festus2.jpg (30.6 KiB) Viewed 1885 times
greenisland

Postby informer » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:00 pm

rolling your spliffs with weed only is far too expensive (if you smoke more than one spliff a day ...)
i never met anyone who smoked "weed only" ....

btw: i stopped it in the meantime (after 30+ years) - nowadays it seems you can get only **** quality.
and it saves 200 €/month ....

back to topic
here another pic of festus:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/attachme ... -fetus.jpg
'the one who cleans the s.h.i.t must remember it' (Lee Perry)
informer

Postby jb welda » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:46 pm

well informer come over to California and I will show you an entirely different world from that you describe. its nearly free to begin with...then you could meet me (or fifty of my friends) and not be able to say that about never meeting anyone...

one love
jb
jb welda

Next

Return to General discussion