favourite sizzla tunes ?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: favourite sizzla tunes ?

Postby jah_vaults » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:11 pm

babylon ah play drought killer 1997 unreleased sizzla listen to the lyrics keenly pon youtube
CLICK THE LINK TO BUY more items being added soon. Ska, Studio one, Rocksteady, Coxsone, Lee Perry, Treasure Isle, Dancehall, Digital, Dub, Roots Reggae & Ragga C.D.s & Vinyl http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/jah_vaults/m. ... 4340.l2562
jah_vaults

Postby Peter Dalton » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:34 pm

Here are a couple of later Sizzla tunes that shouldn't be overlooked:

Ghetto Youths Rise, Maximum Sound
Judgment, Reflection
Peter Dalton

Postby Living Bate » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:35 pm

BMC - just finished listening to your part 1...... thoroughly enjoyed it.....some gems in there that I hadn't heard before!......looking forward to part 2!

jah vaults - that's a nice tune.....a new one to me.....but vintage Sizzla!

Peter Dalton - unfortunately I have to disagree....those tunes may be better than a lot of his other recent output, but I still find them pretty overlookable
Living Bate

Postby Mark T » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:09 pm

I think I have four Sizzla 45's and probably Praise Ye Jah and Give Them a Ride are my favourites though I don't play them often.
Nearly made it through part 1 of BMC's special (thanks for posting that Marc). I find his delivery all gets a bit samey and it's only the rhythms that hold interest after a while. The relick of the Stealing rhythm is great (Dem a Try a Ting was the name of the tune I think).
Not my favourite artist but I can see why people like him.
Mark T
Mark T

Postby johnnyB » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:45 pm

Big tune that "Babylon a Play Drought".A shame it was never released on vinyl :(
...who feels it knows it...
johnnyB

Postby Living Bate » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:06 pm

jah_vaults wrote:babylon ah play drought killer 1997 unreleased sizzla listen to the lyrics keenly pon youtube

listening to that tune keenly I think its meant to be draughts not drought......

no mention of a lack of water, but in draughts the black v the whites.....makes much more sense...
Living Bate

Postby lankou » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:41 am

Probably most of the tunes on Burnin' UP and Praise Yeh Jah, and some off his split album with Anthony B, 2 Strong. In a different vibe, i also love Rain Shower, which shows him in his 2 best modes, imho. Long gone are the days when i would rush to the shops to get hold of all the 7"s bearing his name but i've been on an XTM revival lately and must admit he had a great talent. Heard none half as good as him (at least amongst chanters and deejays) on the rasta side of JA music since then.
lankou

Postby Living Bate » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:50 am

lankou wrote:Probably most of the tunes on Burnin' UP and Praise Yeh Jah, and some off his split album with Anthony B, 2 Strong. In a different vibe, i also love Rain Shower, which shows him in his 2 best modes, imho. Long gone are the days when i would rush to the shops to get hold of all the 7"s bearing his name but i've been on an XTM revival lately and must admit he had a great talent. Heard none half as good as him (at least amongst chanters and deejays) on the rasta side of JA music since then.

i wasnt that big on Rain Shower when it came out......but it really grew on me......I rate it highly now
Living Bate

Postby BMC » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:08 am

Living Bate wrote:BMC - just finished listening to your part 1...... thoroughly enjoyed it.....some gems in there that I hadn't heard before!......looking forward to part 2!

Nice one, Living Bate! Hope you'll be enjoying part 2 as well! Thanks for the comment.

It really was a pleasure making these. It was a long time from the idea to the final result, mainly due to the fact I kept on looking for more by Sizzla (I expanded my Sizzla album collection of this time period by 300% or so :lol: ) and by others on the riddims, which meant evenings of going through albums and compilations from those years and rediscovering many tunes I hadn't heard in a long time. Loved it. :D

Mark T wrote:Nearly made it through part 1 of BMC's special (thanks for posting that Marc).

Cheers Mark, thanks for checking it out!

Obviously I do love the man's work and delivery of those days (and still do these days every now and then, he still has it, just hidden most of the times :wink: ) and was quite amazed to see, after buying some more albums due to tunes I (re)discoverd, I ended up owning 21 albums of his from this time period (1995 - 2002). Quite insane really, haha, and obviously not all of the Praise Ye Jah, Black Woman & Child league.
Reggae mixes (old & new) and more: BMC's Reggae Blog
Latest episode: The Impressions - The Jamaican Connection
Facebook: BMC's Reggae Mixes (page)
BMC

Postby Living Bate » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:28 am

BMC wrote:he still has it

unfortunately I have to disagree......for me he seems to have completely lost it....I don't rate anything he does these days...

what happened to his voice??.....the raspy stuff he does nowadays is a million miles from that silky smooth voice he used to have.....he had such a range I could hardly believe what I was hearing sometimes....

it'd be interesting to hear him try to sing 'Do Some Good' now.....

he seems a lot more bad minded in recent years too
Living Bate

Postby BMC » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:06 am

I see your point, L.B., and do agree he doesn't make anything in the quality of those days, but I do rate the occassional tune of recent years. Like that Ghetto Youth Rise or African Liberation, both for Maximum Sound, but have numerous others I rate from 2003 - 2013 (Chant Dem Down springs to mind). But yeah, I do agree that his voice isn't what it used to be.

I also think his live show still is very good, both musically and in entertainment. Good performer.
BMC

Postby Living Bate » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:23 pm

Good shout actually. . . Chant Dem Down was a killer tune

even that seems like a while ago now though
Living Bate

Postby BMC » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:51 pm

Yeah, I bought it on 45 at the time of release, which was 2006, Kalonji label. The odd thing is that only now, 7 years later, the track is included on a Sizzla album, his recent The Messiah.
BMC

Postby Living Bate » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:40 am

he probably wanted to squeeze it as much as he could on the Kalonji label before putting it on an album........great tune......I played it non-stop when it first came out.....

I can still remember where I was the fist time I heard this tune.....wow......this is the Sizzla I miss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4AR7HiI6ZQ
Living Bate

Postby Reggie Love » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:23 am

I think you may be talking about two different Sizzla songs called Chant dem down. The one on the new album is quite old and has been remixed a little but is not the one which was a single on his label, which I thought was amazing but never got a copy of.
Reggie Love

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion