favourite sizzla tunes ?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: favourite sizzla tunes ?

Postby jah_vaults » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:11 pm

babylon ah play drought killer 1997 unreleased sizzla listen to the lyrics keenly pon youtube
jah_vaults

Postby Peter Dalton » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:34 pm

Here are a couple of later Sizzla tunes that shouldn't be overlooked:

Ghetto Youths Rise, Maximum Sound
Judgment, Reflection
Peter Dalton

Postby Living Bate » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:35 pm

BMC - just finished listening to your part 1...... thoroughly enjoyed it.....some gems in there that I hadn't heard before!......looking forward to part 2!

jah vaults - that's a nice tune.....a new one to me.....but vintage Sizzla!

Peter Dalton - unfortunately I have to disagree....those tunes may be better than a lot of his other recent output, but I still find them pretty overlookable
Living Bate

Postby Mark T » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:09 pm

I think I have four Sizzla 45's and probably Praise Ye Jah and Give Them a Ride are my favourites though I don't play them often.
Nearly made it through part 1 of BMC's special (thanks for posting that Marc). I find his delivery all gets a bit samey and it's only the rhythms that hold interest after a while. The relick of the Stealing rhythm is great (Dem a Try a Ting was the name of the tune I think).
Not my favourite artist but I can see why people like him.
Mark T
Mark T

Postby johnnyB » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:45 pm

Big tune that "Babylon a Play Drought".A shame it was never released on vinyl :(
...who feels it knows it...
johnnyB

Postby Living Bate » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:06 pm

jah_vaults wrote:babylon ah play drought killer 1997 unreleased sizzla listen to the lyrics keenly pon youtube

listening to that tune keenly I think its meant to be draughts not drought......

no mention of a lack of water, but in draughts the black v the whites.....makes much more sense...
Living Bate

Postby lankou » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:41 am

Probably most of the tunes on Burnin' UP and Praise Yeh Jah, and some off his split album with Anthony B, 2 Strong. In a different vibe, i also love Rain Shower, which shows him in his 2 best modes, imho. Long gone are the days when i would rush to the shops to get hold of all the 7"s bearing his name but i've been on an XTM revival lately and must admit he had a great talent. Heard none half as good as him (at least amongst chanters and deejays) on the rasta side of JA music since then.
lankou

Postby Living Bate » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:50 am

lankou wrote:Probably most of the tunes on Burnin' UP and Praise Yeh Jah, and some off his split album with Anthony B, 2 Strong. In a different vibe, i also love Rain Shower, which shows him in his 2 best modes, imho. Long gone are the days when i would rush to the shops to get hold of all the 7"s bearing his name but i've been on an XTM revival lately and must admit he had a great talent. Heard none half as good as him (at least amongst chanters and deejays) on the rasta side of JA music since then.

i wasnt that big on Rain Shower when it came out......but it really grew on me......I rate it highly now
Living Bate

Postby BMC » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:08 am

Living Bate wrote:BMC - just finished listening to your part 1...... thoroughly enjoyed it.....some gems in there that I hadn't heard before!......looking forward to part 2!

Nice one, Living Bate! Hope you'll be enjoying part 2 as well! Thanks for the comment.

It really was a pleasure making these. It was a long time from the idea to the final result, mainly due to the fact I kept on looking for more by Sizzla (I expanded my Sizzla album collection of this time period by 300% or so :lol: ) and by others on the riddims, which meant evenings of going through albums and compilations from those years and rediscovering many tunes I hadn't heard in a long time. Loved it. :D

Mark T wrote:Nearly made it through part 1 of BMC's special (thanks for posting that Marc).

Cheers Mark, thanks for checking it out!

Obviously I do love the man's work and delivery of those days (and still do these days every now and then, he still has it, just hidden most of the times :wink: ) and was quite amazed to see, after buying some more albums due to tunes I (re)discoverd, I ended up owning 21 albums of his from this time period (1995 - 2002). Quite insane really, haha, and obviously not all of the Praise Ye Jah, Black Woman & Child league.
BMC

Postby Living Bate » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:28 am

BMC wrote:he still has it

unfortunately I have to disagree......for me he seems to have completely lost it....I don't rate anything he does these days...

what happened to his voice??.....the raspy stuff he does nowadays is a million miles from that silky smooth voice he used to have.....he had such a range I could hardly believe what I was hearing sometimes....

it'd be interesting to hear him try to sing 'Do Some Good' now.....

he seems a lot more bad minded in recent years too
Living Bate

Postby BMC » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:06 am

I see your point, L.B., and do agree he doesn't make anything in the quality of those days, but I do rate the occassional tune of recent years. Like that Ghetto Youth Rise or African Liberation, both for Maximum Sound, but have numerous others I rate from 2003 - 2013 (Chant Dem Down springs to mind). But yeah, I do agree that his voice isn't what it used to be.

I also think his live show still is very good, both musically and in entertainment. Good performer.
BMC

Postby Living Bate » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:23 pm

Good shout actually. . . Chant Dem Down was a killer tune

even that seems like a while ago now though
Living Bate

Postby BMC » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:51 pm

Yeah, I bought it on 45 at the time of release, which was 2006, Kalonji label. The odd thing is that only now, 7 years later, the track is included on a Sizzla album, his recent The Messiah.
BMC

Postby Living Bate » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:40 am

he probably wanted to squeeze it as much as he could on the Kalonji label before putting it on an album........great tune......I played it non-stop when it first came out.....

I can still remember where I was the fist time I heard this tune.....wow......this is the Sizzla I miss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4AR7HiI6ZQ
Living Bate

Postby Reggie Love » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:23 am

I think you may be talking about two different Sizzla songs called Chant dem down. The one on the new album is quite old and has been remixed a little but is not the one which was a single on his label, which I thought was amazing but never got a copy of.
Reggie Love

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion