Jammys b-sides

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Jammys b-sides

Postby tradesman » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:40 pm

any one on here know why so many jammys 45;s have the wrong versions on the bside , is it intentional ?
tradesman

Re: Jammys b-sides

Postby dougie conscious » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:44 pm

probably cause there dodgy represses,most of the originals had proper versions
dougie conscious

Postby edgar » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:03 pm

I have one with a crap Dennis Brown A side, and an unrelated killer dub B side.

Probably because there are endless amounts of Jammy 7 inches, would make sense that they couldn´t find the proper B side anymore,so they just use what is available..
thank you putting this on here- best reggae track ever, apart from most bob marley tracks
edgar

Postby zonard » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:09 pm

surely has something to deal with the dubplate business expansion in the 90's... no version on B side so you have to pay the producer to get the clean version
zonard

Postby credezcrew24 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:33 pm

Although I don't have the money to buy to many represses these days. Unrelated unlabeled b-sides where almost always a deal breaker for me.
credezcrew24

Postby Ruffneck » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:20 am

If the flip has a completely unrelated version, it's most likely a repress. In the 90's it was quite common to have the b-side related to the a-side but not providing a clean version ("Mix 2", semi-accapellas, mixes with vocal snippets from other cuts, etc.) and this was probably to prevent unauthorised use of the riddim. For example Penthouse was notorious for never providing clean versions and at times other big labels like Digital B did it as well. Can't remember Jammy's being one of those though.
Ruffneck

Postby tradesman » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:30 am

yea iv gt loads of penthouse singles with 'remix' on the bside which sounds pretty much the same as the a side! , well annoying if u playing it out and the mc wants to ride the version
tradesman

Postby Reggaemusicstore » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:20 am

In the latter years of JA vinyl pressing it was common for very small quantities to be repressed to order and I think it's simply down to the pressing plants couldn't be bothered to find the right stamper for the B side so they'd literally just use the first stamper they found. It fits in with the sometimes poor pressing quality, recyling of old materials/sleeves etc and this was common to many labels not just jammys.
Reggaemusicstore

Postby TruthTown » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:53 am

Sometimes these "confussions" bring nice surprises: B side of Tenor Saw "Fever" repress on Black Roots (it says Version) comes with the beautiful "African Children" song (Heptones "We're In The Mood" rhythm), wich I really love. That stop in the middle of the song is great!
Was this song ever released as a single? Thanks in advance
TruthTown

Return to General discussion