OT - Malik - MD7

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

OT - Malik - MD7

Postby Living Bate » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:55 pm

Living Bate

Re: OT - Malik - MD7

Postby Living Bate » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:23 pm

Living Bate

Postby Dubba » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:12 pm

If I'm honest with you I find this guy a bit hit and miss. I don't really check for new hip hop, and without sounding like a typical musical nostalgist this guy can't hold a candle to early Blak Twang, Taskforce, Rodney P, Roots Manuva to name just a few. Have you come across Broke N English out of Manchester? Would highly reccomend them even though I'm biased as they're longtime friends of mine. Moorish Delta (MD) have been around for about 15 years if my memory serves me correctly, never been a fan of the whole crew to be honest.
Dubba

Postby Living Bate » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:56 am

yeh dubba,

I know what ya saying......ive seen all the artists you mention live and they smacked it much harder than MD7 - who ive also seen live and don't remember one minute of the show....

but I think now Malik has become more of a solo artist, he seems to be more capable....

I always rated him more than the others, but now there seems to be a bit more depth to what he's saying, I rate him up there with Chester, Taipanic and Rodney.....

never got the Broke N English thing tho.......used to check them live up in Manc with DRS.....great show, but on record it never seemed to work....
Living Bate

Postby Living Bate » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:01 am

diss the crowd!!....haha

pure jokes...
Living Bate

Postby Dubba » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:00 am

LB- I.completely hear you about B n E sounding better live than on wax, I've always thought the same myself. However the subject 2 status album is pretty good and does them justice. Strategy has got lyrics for days and is one of the best freestylers in the land.

Going back to Malik I quite like his off the top of the dome stuff when his flow sounds laidback and relaxed, but can't get with the reality lyrics where he slows down and sounds a little too preachy and predictable for my liking

Skittles- Poor with £100 trainers, best UK or any hip hop album I've heard in many a year, I'd strongly urge you to buy it, trust me you will not be disappointed. Big comparison I know but think of a uk version of early nas and mobb deep, certainly evoked some memories of the golden era of the 90's for me.
Dubba

Postby Living Bate » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:40 am

yeh freestyle wise I found Strategy to be inspirational....and I know i'm not alone in that thought.....i'll have to try and check that subject 2 status thing....

Malik I just think is on his own out there these days....even my favourite UK rapper - Fallacy seems to be doing more Grime / Dubstep these days, which I have no time for....

I just checked that Skittles - £100 trainers tune......first coupla moments I wasn't getting it.......but then it clicked,........bloke is on it!....thanks for that link....

for what its worth I find the best material out of the UK is Masquerades & Silhouettes and 19 Long Time........maybe Brand New Second Hand........dry at the minute tho....
Living Bate

Postby Dubba » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:42 pm

Some straight classics there LB! Its a shame them guys aren't around dropping that calibre of stuff nowadays as the mainstream is more receptive to UK stuff now. Was hard times for UK hip hop artists back in the days. Must be devastating for Lewis, Tony and Roots seeing people like tinchy stryder and N Dubz running the charts with their brand of **** UK hiphop/ grime or whatever else they want to call it this week. Have to admit that Wiley is a guilty pleasure though, how can you not like a man who makes reference to Shaka and Saxon in his rhymes?!!!!

Have to admit that SBTV warm up session you posted up is nice, by far the best of the bunch for me. Looks like he went in hard on the lambsbread beforehand and clearly seems to have had a nice impact on his rhymes/flow!!!!
Dubba

Postby Living Bate » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:27 pm

that was a golden era for the UK.....no question.....

and yeh, like you say it must be a bitter pill to swallow for certain artists when they see muppets like N Dubz getting all the fortune and fame....but I guess that's always been the way tho.......I understand why Roots Manuva tried so hard to distance himself from the UK hip hop thing....

I'm enjoying this Skittles thing......that £100 trainers tune is top shelf....

Malik is just off the meter.....I think the bloke is serious.......I just fear an album may cater for the wrong crowd and it could fall in to the same trouble that Blackmarket Boy did.....

I guess we'll see...
Living Bate

Postby Dubba » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:37 pm

Try and check some of the other tracks off the skittles too many heavy tunes to mention.

Strategy and Fallacy are pretty tight I know a few years back strats was producing some stuff for him as he's been living in manchester for a while now.
Dubba

Postby Living Bate » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:45 pm

yeh I heard Falz moved up Norf......

i'm not sure if he's even still making music.......but his tune with MK.........This Life......

that is one of my favourite songs of any genre of any time......
Living Bate

Postby Dubba » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:03 pm

Living Bate wrote:yeh I heard Falz moved up Norf......

i'm not sure if he's even still making music.......but his tune with MK.........This Life......

Not heard that one any youtube links?
Dubba

Postby Living Bate » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:27 pm

Dubba wrote:
Living Bate wrote:yeh I heard Falz moved up Norf......

Not heard that one any youtube links?

its lost gold.....ive got an mp3....PM me ya email and i'll sling it over.....

I ripped it off cassette....
Living Bate

Return to General discussion