Eddie Murphy reggae tune

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: Eddie Murphy reggae tune

Postby jb welda » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:22 pm

Groundation fkin suck. way over-academidization of reggae music. music for a gallery.

>I'm far from being from that area but i know a whole lot of fine (or even great) reggae bands on the west coast of
>the USA.

really? because I AM from the area and I don't know of any decent (not to mention "fine" or "great") reggae outfits from here. note I do NOT include ja immigrants, I mean Californians. most suck, really bad. its really become one of my pet peeves especially when people point to them and think they are the real thing. just bugs the hell out of me. but perhaps its only me.

quack quack quack as groundation says.

edit to add: that is a bit harsh but understand that I say it with a smile on my face. these sort of bands I allude to do have their place in the scheme of things.

one love
jb
Last edited by jb welda on Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jb welda

Postby Living Bate » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:03 pm

I personally think that this tune is far better than that Eddie Murphy, Snoop thing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0rKqG8nVJE

I know the blokes voice grates on a lot of people........ but there is belief behind what he's talking....
Living Bate

Postby Roman » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:39 pm

I no longer care about people's beliefs, I just love music that sounds good to me. Unfortunately I just can't stand to hear that singr's voice so I'd rather listen to Snoop Dogg/Lion than Groundation )
Roman

Postby digitaldubs » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:39 pm

this one is EM ft. Shabba from back 1993

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFrQfeI0wFA
digitaldubs

Postby tradesman » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:44 pm

what it needs is a remix by dougie conscious and replace snoop with king general and you got something!

bush chemists feat eddie murphy !!! lol
tradesman

Postby jb welda » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:01 pm

Mr Bate sez:

>I know the blokes voice grates on a lot of people........ but there is belief behind what he's talking....

in this particular track you point out, I don't really mind his voice. it fits pretty well. the problem for me in this particular case is the over-marleyization of, in this case, both the instrumental part and the vocal part. the vocal particularly sounds like an overly self conscious adaptation of, who else, bob marley. its like he is using his voice to not quite copy, but more like mimic his vocal mannerisms and almost trademarked inflections. and at the same time, in this particular case, the riddim track sounds straight out of the wailers late 70s songbook. that is exactly the part about so many of these nowadays cali outfits, is it seems they all attempt to channel bob marley to one degree or another. and if it isn't bob marley, then its peter tosh. and this is on original tunes, not covers of marley/tosh/wailers tunes. its just gotten really stagnant to my ears anyway.

just as an aside, exactly these same mannerisms and touchpoints that I am complaining about here are very present on that kill the white people song...but that's the point I suppose. aside to an aside: you did see the one black VFW member who continued to be dancing over to the left after everyone else left, right? aside to aside to aside: I always really like REALLY dug that song, kill the white people, thought it would be great as a single. its flippin genius in some of those lyrics, excellent black uhuru material for the time!

back to his voice though, it certainly isn't one of the worst I have heard and one gets used to it, I personally like it more than cedric mytons for instance, and he does seem to craft some good lyrical content. I prefer alton ellis though.

thanks for posting the link though, its really one of the nicer groundation efforts I have heard.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby jb welda » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:13 pm

I think that track with shabba is pretty kool too, don't really care for the falsetto from EM but it gets good when shabba jumps in. wonder who all the rasta elders are on stage there and if keith Richards had anything to do with that video. not sure why that pops into my mind except for wingless angels.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby capullo » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:15 pm

man, jb welda - i really dig your comments no matter i like your opinion or not, haha. sharp minded and well written. though i am really sad that the swiss maracuja seeds i sent you never worked out in californian soil - but thats completely another story :D
capullo

Postby minidub » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:15 am

I agree completely with jb! because we had to break down the DJ equipment from the valley stage, we were basically stuck watching SOJA's close-out set at the sierra nevada world music festival in california last week. it was horrendous. the lead singer was simply horrible, really. i'm not familiar with them and wasn't prepared to "hate" on them, but i'm telling you how it was for me personally. it was the worst set I have ever seen at that festival; can't really believe they were headliners. there was not one moment or tune that caught me whatsoever. it was just a painful set. watered down, commercial cali reggae to the fullest. and there was no love given to those who paved the way. they came off as pampered and entitled. I don't care if they fill stadiums; so did brittany spears; it's just sugar for the masses.

the only groundation tune that I've really liked, and I like it a lot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZtE2jc_f9E

m
minidub

Postby jb welda » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:54 am

minidub, SOJA are from Washington DC I think...still your other observations are valid. its kind of funny, never cared for that SOJA outfit, but when I was doing artist clearances for the local radio broadcast a couple years ago, I approached that lead singer guy and he was very kool about it but said to come back in a half hour to ask their manager. so I figured they might blow me off but instead the mgr was there and signed it no problem, then I saw the singer guy again and he hailed me up and told me it was all good and then we proceeded to chat for a couple minutes. really seemed like a level guy and all, but from the stories I heard this year maybe that might have changed. of course being good people doesn't guarantee in any way one will appreciate said peoples music, but I was very impressed with how friendly this guy, SOJAs lead singer, I think his name might be Jacob, was. that year I thought they did a decent set but none of their stuff really grabs me and I had a couple of their cds at one time so I was familiar with some of their songs.

that's one thing I will definitely give groundation though, they enlist bonafide artists to appear on their releases, and evidently occasionally on stage too, and give full credit (and presumably payment) to them on the covers and such. much like UB40 in their somewhat earlier days, they do forward the real roots talent that would be likely to remain obscure otherwise. in ub40s case I mean nya and natty but also pato banton (though of course roger and pato ago talk already seen) and others like those whole bunch of ub40 vintage remake albums. and from what I have heard everybody got paid and everybody was and is happy so you do have to thank outfits like that for providing the social security that the govt cant!

and probably those musicians working with eddie murphy and snoop lion got paid...that's one thing about working with people with a profile like those two: you usually get paid.

>never worked out in californian soil

perhaps that's also why the "sharp minded" unfortunately! but funny side story some of them may have made their way to ms minidubs garden so perhaps she can fill us in via PM or cleverly veiled references

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby minidub » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:19 am

jb, I wasn't even meaning that soja was from california just because I called them cali reggae to the fullest. cali reggae is just how I describe these us bands that tend to sound the same...you know, reggae-lite.

re: but funny side story some of them may have made their way to ms minidubs garden so perhaps she can fill us in via PM or cleverly veiled references

i'll PM you both in about two months time!

m.
minidub

Postby Mick Sleeper » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:44 am

Living Bate wrote:they are hypocrites.....

Why are they hypocrites?
Without music, life is an error. (Nietzsche)
Bass Culture: http://podcast.upsetter.net
Eternal Thunder: http://www.upsetter.net/scratch
Mick Sleeper

Postby Living Bate » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:49 am

Mick Sleeper wrote:
Living Bate wrote:they are hypocrites.....

Why are they hypocrites?

Snoop talks about rasta, but he is still referring to people as N**s and B**s........I cant see any person of any faith thinking that is the right way to behave......

Last thing I heard Eddie Murphy wouldn't even greet his fans without wearing gloves......call it OCD or whatever you want.....but don't talk to me about the people if you cant even bear to touch them......
Living Bate

Postby Roman » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:46 am

///Snoop talks about rasta, but he is still referring to people as N**s and B**s........////

RIght now I am watching "I Want To Be Free (Live)" by Ijahman https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM_comXY5dk , but 3 minutes ago I was still listening to "Brutality & Bloodshed for All" by GG Allin & The Murder Junkies https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKHqVK8gZCk

My 2 quastions are: Is it the right way to behave? :lol: Am I a hypocrite because of that?
Roman

Postby Living Bate » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:02 am

Roman wrote:///Snoop talks about rasta, but he is still referring to people as N**s and B**s........////

RIght now I am watching "I Want To Be Free (Live)" by Ijahman https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM_comXY5dk , but 3 minutes ago I was still listening to "Brutality & Bloodshed for All" by GG Allin & The Murder Junkies https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKHqVK8gZCk

My 2 quastions are: Is it the right way to behave? :lol: Am I a hypocrite because of that?

bloke what you choose to do with your spare time is not for me to comment on.....

but when you put out music that is worthy of discussion I will discuss it......
Living Bate

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion