Eddie Murphy reggae tune

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Eddie Murphy reggae tune

Postby mark b » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:39 pm

Decent quality tune from Eddie Murphy Snoop Lion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRmELlhCZbA&feature=player_embedded#at=117
mark b

Re: Eddie Murphy reggae tune

Postby Living Bate » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:50 pm

planet gone mad
Living Bate

Postby jb welda » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:51 pm

that's way better than most. great song that I would play anytime. really hard to believe that's eddie murphy but he has a long history of being into reggae music. used to see him time to time in sacramento or SF for reggae shows at various night clubs back when he was fairly local (married some local gal; I think they are no longer though). and snoop dawg/lion looks right into it too, didn't really hang around long enough to hear him touch the mike if he ever does.

what with the crap coming out of California these days (groundation, rebelution, iration, slightly stooped, all that ****) this track really shines by comparison. I give it an A+

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby underated » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:18 pm

Yip EM has a good voice, nothing that draws me in though, i heard him sing before & i had similar feeling.
It's strange someone with lesser voice could have more emotion & connection to the music.

I keep hearing words like " he has a good voice, the musicians are good ect"
Yet something is missing, must be something money can't buy.

well it's good we all have our opinions :)
underated

Postby Living Bate » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:29 pm

with so much music in the world, why anyone would chose to listen to Snoop and Eddie Murphy making reggae music is beyond me.....

they are hypocrites.....
Living Bate

Postby mark b » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:45 pm

they are hypocrites.....

Not exactly a new concept in the history of music including reggae
mark b

Postby jb welda » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:53 pm

you guys have a good point about the "why?" aspect, but that's what strikes me about this (I have only listened once though...perhaps I was as high as snoop lion at the time) is that it does definitely draw on all the stock references, and yet at the same time, it strikes me as a pretty worthy tune delivered in a not too over-marley-ized manner, which to me is what kills most of these sort of attempts. it does sound a bit wailers-esque in the riddim department but I think it goes over well here. let me just put it this way: when I hear eddie murphy and snoop lion's names, I don't have very high expectations. those expectations are well exceeded with this tune. I will probably even buy it especially if it comes out on 7" somehow, and particularly if it were ja 7".

what it needs is a remix by dougie conscious and replace snoop with king general and you got something!

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby jb welda » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:08 pm

oh and of course we all know his prior hit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... zON0o_d51E

(I apologize for the faintly racist semi-rant at the beginning of this clip; this was the only clip I could find that had the complete skit on it, but there is some reference to Obama's supposed racist leanings and it kinda smacks of some right wing business that I haven't quite deciphered yet, so again I apologize for any inferences)

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby jb welda » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:16 pm

and who could forget tyrone greens debut piece, a little poetry of power: Kill My Landlord:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ0up_MjsLk

(must be some copyright thing with eddie murphy and/or SNL as its hard to find decent clips out there on youtube)

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby Living Bate » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:24 pm

mark b wrote:
they are hypocrites.....

Not exactly a new concept in the history of music including reggae

I can accept people not living up to the ideology of the words they preach, because we are all human and sometimes we falter...

but I see this a bit differently
Living Bate

Postby lankou » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:01 am

Not sure i would buy it but it is certainly much better than Snoop's own solo reggae efforts and also than a lot of reggae "productions" today - which is quite scary in a way! I like it better than what many of the Marleys' output, really odd!
Quite reminiscent of some Morgan Heritage 2000's songs, with a pinch of Marley thrown in.
Unfortunately, many JA reggae producers of the current scene should be ashamed when discovering this, the world is walking on its head!
As for the snipe againt Californian reggae, that's at best a most unfair over-generalisation. I'm far from being from that area but i know a whole lot of fine (or even great) reggae bands on the west coast of the USA. Imho, none of those belong to the list you came up with, though (that is the most well-known ones on an international level).
lankou

Postby Living Bate » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:52 am

bloodfire.....I'd rather listen to Groundation than Axel Foley.....

Groundation made their name from making reggae music.....its their passion....its what they chose to do........

this is just two rich men having a dabble....
Living Bate

Postby Roman » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:46 am

"REDLIGHT" sounds really good.
Roman

Postby lankou » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:20 pm

I suspect that tune is something EM chose to do, really... why would he need to jump on any reggae bandwagon ? Lousy tactics to make some dough these days. And no, i find it more vibesy than any groundation tune with vocals, eh eh!
lankou

Postby Roman » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:46 pm

more vibesy than any Groundation tune with vocals I've heard indeed
Roman

Next

Return to General discussion