Steel Pulse "African Holocaust" a return to form?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Steel Pulse "African Holocaust" a return to form?

Postby AT2JA » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:20 pm

Lots of good reviews on this one, supposed to be their best work since Earth Crisis. What say the massive? :D
AT2JA

Re: Steel Pulse "African Holocaust" a return to form?

Postby DubOrganic » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:45 pm

African Holocaust does not really sound like a return to the vibes of that era, much more polished, modern sound. It is an OK album with some nice tracks including the title track, kind of poppy and dancehall influenced.
Last edited by DubOrganic on Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DubOrganic

Postby jb welda » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:09 pm

all I can say is that if reggae music sounded like this back when I first started listening to it...I never would have continued listening to it.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby AT2JA » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:15 am

That's what I expected. Thanks.
AT2JA

Postby Mark T » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:32 pm

I gave some of the tracks a quick listen and would pretty much agree with jb's summary.
It's clear they pay attention to lyrics, arrangements, production values etc but it just doesn't grab me the way their first couple of records did - they are classics.
Mark T
Mark T

Postby KingSimeonSound » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:39 pm

It's a strong album, plenty of good sounds/song. I notice the tempo is up a lot, one drops are pretty speedy compared to the older styles.

Personally I'd say it's a bit pointless comparing it to the earlier sounds. Apart from the auto tune it sounds pretty good all round and am pleased to see them still producing good music.
https://www.facebook.com/KingSimeonSound
https://soundcloud.com/king-simeon
KingSimeonSound

Postby Rootsitup » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:35 am

Rootsitup

Postby TruthTown » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:10 pm

I would never compare "African Holocaust" to "Hansdworth Revolution" or to "True Democrazys", as I would never compare Dennis Brown's "Visions" to his last works...This list has no end...

Just mention that Steel Pulse keep on playing perfect and offering excellent shows, which is something that a lot of artists CANT do. So, maximun respect to Steel Pulse. :D
TruthTown

Postby AT2JA » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:55 pm

So I'll pick it up for cheap, used. :D
AT2JA

Postby AT2JA » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:22 pm

And it sadly, sucks.
AT2JA

Postby jb welda » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:54 pm

that's kinda funny, but honestly, you had to know it would.

their stage shows still sound pretty rootical but it always seems there is some funny business going on. for instance I have seen them about three times just put down their instruments and walk off stage, no announcements, no nothing, only to return 10 minutes later. mind you this wasn't a rest break, all times this was within about 10 minutes of beginning their set. and it didn't appear there were technical difficulties they were letting the sound men sort out, they just up and left and came back in a few minutes. weirdest thing I had ever seen on stage.

last couple times seeing them though I was impressed they sounded very bass heavy and nice, quite contrary to my expectations.

but their recorded output has been sad. actually though david hinds has had a couple greatish singles on Heartical I think it was. not bad at all but probably because someone is restraining them from their commercial sounding tendencies.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby ras2thebone » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:52 pm

I was actually very impressed with the album, especially coming on the heels (albeit 8 or so years after) of Rage and Fury which I thought was abysmal. Their live albums still get me.
ras2thebone

Return to General discussion