Soundsystem LPs

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Soundsystem LPs

Postby rdlhowe » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:32 pm

Is it a big no no to play LPs on a traditional Soundsystem?

Some of my LPs sound better than my 45s. E.g. Soul Jazz Records compilations (100% Dynamite etc) are much better sound quality than a lot of the affordable 45s of those tunes.

I know it's all music at the end of the day, but I want to pay respect to the tradition.
rdlhowe

Re: Soundsystem LPs

Postby edgar » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:43 pm

there is a well known poet/writer in my native country who also occasionally does dj sets. He only plays jazz LPs and puts the sleeve in front of or next to his turntable so people can see what he plays.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmsVwiLf6vc

People are at an evening/night out to be entertained/have a nice time. They can't really be bothered about traditions I guess.
thank you putting this on here- best reggae track ever, apart from most bob marley tracks
edgar

Postby Roman » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:07 am

rdlhowe: I think the real reason why sounds choose not to play LPs is simple: a well pressed 12" single (even 7" and 10") generates a much higher output level (which means less/lower risk of unwanted feedback from your speakers back to your cartridge stylus) than an LP does.

Today in 2013 you can easily transfer your LP tracks to CD-R/WAV etc and play them in a dance.

Studio One stuff usually sounds better on Soul Jazz Records VL/CD compilations than on Studio One's own presses.
Roman

Postby rdlhowe » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:40 am

Good explanation, thanks Roman
rdlhowe

Postby Roman » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:48 am

Thank you, rdlhowe
Roman

Postby Nicholas » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:53 am

There are vintage examples of LP's being played in sound.
If you listen carefully to King Tubby's Home Town Hi-Fi sound tape from circa 1975, the last three Studio One dubs are lifted from two Studio One dub LPs, Better Dub and Mellow Dub.
Not to mention the many sound tapes from the early 80's, with DJ's riding Studio One's Hi Fashion Dub - from the eponymous LP...

N.
Nicholas

Postby shadrach » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:35 am

edgar wrote:there is a well known poet/writer in my native country who also occasionally does dj sets. He only plays jazz LPs and puts the sleeve in front of or next to his turntable so people can see what he plays.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmsVwiLf6vc

People are at an evening/night out to be entertained/have a nice time. They can't really be bothered about traditions I guess.

Sounds like the mad Jules Deelder?
shadrach

Postby underated » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:02 pm

rdlhowe wrote:
I want to pay respect to the tradition.

0ne tradition is playing original press JA 45's on a vintage record deck with vintage equipment.
When the single finishes play the version on the b- side .

So many people are looking for peer 'respect'.
Do whatever feels right, follow your heart, if you feel like playing an mp3......play it .
Have fun, if someone else likes it , well that's nice, that's not the most important thing though.

You must be happy with whatever you do,
yeah peer approval does not mean a thing :)
underated

Postby Mark T » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:46 pm

The Soul Jazz comps are mastered for dj use, they are advertised as super loud. I don't know if that means they are better sound quality per se but they do have an immediate, loud sound to them.
There are also djs who chat about Lps being played in the dance - I can hear the lyrics in my mind but I can't remember a particular song or artist right now.
Mark T
Mark T

Postby Roman » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:33 pm

Well. Okay. There are LPs and there are LPs. Some LPs contain 2-3 (max 4) SHORT (between 2:30 - 3.20) tracks on each side and therefore can be played in a dance. They're probably loud enough to be played in a dance. But many LPs CAN'T be played in a dance - especially some compilation LPs I bought 10-15 years ago. One of them is a Johnny Clarke compilation and the other one is a Jacob Miller comp. 24 tracks in total (12 tracks on each side) on J Miller's LP and 20 tracks in total (10 tracks on each side) on J Clarke's. The lengh of each side is like 35 minutes. Would you play those LPs in a dance?
Roman

Postby Mark T » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:47 pm

"Play LP and they really love me"
Friday Evening - Joe Tex and Hugh Black, Joe Gibbs 12" discomix on the turntable right now.
Mark T
Mark T

Postby Ital Dokta » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:26 am

Mark T wrote:"Play LP and they really love me"

Yes but play 45, that's what keeps them alive :wink:
Ital Dokta

Postby Mark T » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:57 am

'Play discomix you have to jump and twist'
You certainly can't sit still to this one - or any Real Rock version!
Mark T
Mark T

Return to General discussion